Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

308 pellet and HP quick testing

308 pellet and HP quick testing
February 25, 2011 03:01AM
The small 308 pellet is 46.12 grains. I'd stuck the barrel on a smaller action. It was easy to drive the pellet to 973 fps for 97 foot pounds.

308 Pellet Testing 011.JPG

308 Pellet Testing 006.JPG

At that, it blew straight thru a 2 by 4. It telescoped on itself, and also collapsed side to side as the wood grain resisted. It ploughed thru, and was found on the floor.

308 Pellet Testing 012.JPG

Exit side.

The approx. 98 grain hollow point, hit the clay like a ton of bricks.

308 Pellet Testing 015.JPG

It stayed together, and really widened out.

308 Pellet Testing 020.JPG

It opened up from .308" to .548" even when being driven to about 100 fpe (less than 700 fps in this test gun). Bigger guns will drive it far faster, and energy will rocket up. Even at this respectable (but less than record) energy ... it really opened up and hit hard.

308 Pellet Testing 028.JPG

In the last test, I had set up about an inch and a half to 2" thickness of clay. That was not enough to stop the slug. In fact ... this is what I found. Look at the exit crater. Huge diameter. I didn't touch it. And .... note the rifling streaks on the clay. That thing really had a shock wave pushed in front of it.

Interesting note: The stopped HP slugs (as shown above) were about 1 1/2" to 2" deep ... and all opened up. This one was clearly in contact with the clay ... all the way thru (in order to impart the rifling) .... YET .... it made this huge exit crater. Now ... if the thing had opened already, it wouldn't have made the rifling streaks ... right? What do you see?

308 Pellet Testing 029.JPG

A bit lighter - a different pic. I think that's rifling ... not the edges of the mushroom.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2011 03:05AM by barnespneumatic.
Re: 308 pellet and HP quick testing
February 25, 2011 05:20AM
Gary,

That thing is a hornet! Do you have a hornet already?

I was curious as to how it could open up like that after transfering the rifling marks onto the clay. Are you surmizing that the shock wave followed the slug?

Lon
February 25, 2011 05:31AM
Lon I was thinking maybe that was the case, that the slug engraved the clay as it passed through but subsequently the energy transferred to the clay threw it wide open....??
These are interesting slugs Gary.
Regards
Neil
February 25, 2011 04:41PM
Yes, it does follow the bullet. Notice the spiral in the gelatin.

I thought the shock wave pushed ahead of the bullet. I've seen one hundred of these and just didn't pay attention.

[www.strimoo.com]

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2011 04:43PM by Bigbore.
February 25, 2011 05:48PM
Interesting,

I note that first "entry cone" being so wide, so quick. By then, my bullet had gone thru the existing clay. In the video, the cone's shock wave opened up and followed the bullet. And, you see the mushroomed HP upon exit. But, my clay captured that first entry, with it's little ring around the entry hole ... you can see it in the gel. And ... then made the initial wide cone, and was gone. Very interesting.

Gary
February 25, 2011 06:56PM
I chose this video because I thought it was great quality. That it is a "Barnes" bullet was just icing on the cake.

I was reviewing it again and noticed it was a .308 bullet too.wink

Lon
February 25, 2011 09:17PM
What? I thought this was THE media!sunny
February 25, 2011 05:53PM
Hi Lon,

That's a good name. So shall it be! scholar

I will alert the media ...bullhorn

Gary
March 15, 2011 07:31PM
big bore , great link , i love the spiral from the rifling ,,,, amazing
Anonymous User
August 22, 2011 02:12PM
More power than my condor in 22 caliber. And i am sure it will last longer, have better accuracy and look much better of course.
August 22, 2011 08:11PM
This was with the Hawk action. That's the one that will be the 2nd Gary's Gun Room offer.

It's pretty dolled up. Man ... it's going to be a party when a few of these finally get their last green dots on the build sheets! Whooohooh!

Gary
August 26, 2011 05:29AM
Very cool. That 46 grainer is a pretty good match power-wise for a .22LR, but with better diameter for energy transfer. It ought to be sudden death on small game like rabbits at reasonable ranges. I wouldn't be surprised to see that 98 grain hollowpoint work well on a lot of medium-sized game, up to and including whitetails, especially when used as a sub-caliber in the larger bores with their higher power settings.

If their accuracy keeps up to the usual standard, I'd say you've got a winner in both.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 28
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021