Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Nitro Express Magnum complete - Pics

Nitro Express Magnum complete - Pics
March 05, 2011 10:20PM
This fine Nitro Express 46 Magnum, is now complete. It's ready for it's final proof at the range. It's been there already, earlier in the build ... but this is the final. Hope you enjoy seeing it. Hugh ... I hope it's good to you, and that you enjoy it for many decades to come.

take a bow
a_NitroExpress.jpg
a_NitroUnder.jpg
a_NitroReciever.jpg
a_NitroForestock2.jpg
a_NitroFarForestock.jpg
a_NitroFarButtstkCarving.jpg
a_NitroExpressButtstock.jpg
a_NItroCarving.jpg
a_NitroButtstockCarving.jpg
March 06, 2011 07:46AM
It's gorgeous, all right. Proof that you don't have to use a gnarly, tortured big-buck piece of wood to get a beautiful stock. As a reminder Gary, what sort of power range does this one run?
March 06, 2011 08:13PM
Hi Rotor,

It's 500 fpe +.

Thanks.

Gary
March 06, 2011 11:41AM
For sure, that’s a nice looking piece. Congratulations to the owner, I hope that he enjoys it and keep us posted.

Gary, thanks for sharing the pictures.
March 06, 2011 12:35PM
Beautiful!
March 06, 2011 12:47PM
Nice . . . looking great. Get some big glass on that puppy and take it to the range! shooter with bench rifle

Nice one Gary . . . smileys with beer

-- Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2011 12:48PM by admin.
March 06, 2011 02:17PM
Beautiful gun! I expect the final range period will go well. You'll be using the new scope for the proof?
March 06, 2011 04:20PM
very Nice!!!
March 06, 2011 06:04PM
I really like the carving.

A hunting we will go.fudd

Lon
March 06, 2011 08:11PM
Thanks Guys,

I will be using the new scope. Nearly forgot that.

I have a bunch of Bishops ... must make sure they are the correct ones.

Glad you all like the carving. Thanks Sean. I feel that way too. As you know ... it's always sort of rubbed my fur the wrong way ... for some stupid tree to get 90% of the attention, just for growing in a swamp, and being deformed. If anybody saw the gun "first" and then went on about the stock grain ... it wouldn't irk me so much. But - upon seeing anything with any remote grain .... 167% of people ... will go on for ten minutes ... about the stupid pc. of wood. And never even see the 400 hours of machine work! rant I'll toss in, I never understood the effort gone to ... to buy a thousand dollar pc. of figured wood ... and then checker over 80% of the thing, in a dark patchwork of crosshatched lines. You see ... we're not all the same. Being of "proper mind and spirit" ... whistling .... I attempt to compliment all of my unappreciated machine work ... with my visible relief carving .... by the same artist. grinning smiley In this way ... I at least get some small tip of the hat for time spent ... Green bowing .... laughing again

Gary
March 07, 2011 04:02AM
Gary,

It's worse than you think.

Your barrels were complimented, on a yellow forum that shall remain nameless, as being some of the most accurate, by a person who is quite an accomplished machinist and builder. Good thing it wasn't me or the compliment would have surely been dismissed as a complete fabrication from a "Toady".

Also, I've always felt the trigger on my Ranger was one of the finest I've ever had the pleasure to use. That would put it VERY good company BTW.

why me

Lon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2011 04:04AM by Bigbore.
March 07, 2011 04:39PM
March 07, 2011 09:15PM
Came across another pic of the Nitro - in the rack.

a_Nitro _rack.jpg

thumbs up

Gary
March 07, 2011 09:42PM
Now Gary, if you're going to post pictures where we can only see bits of the gun, you're going to have to live with compliments on the stock! bowing
March 08, 2011 12:14AM
Thank you. But, I did post the entire gun, right? stunned

You want more raw steel pics? nowthatIthink ... Barrels? And reservoirs?? Maybe a touch of .... aluminum maybe??? hahaha. More coffee

Gary
March 07, 2011 05:50AM
When I've tried to link to the yellow forum, this is all I get.

Blocked Access.

The owner of this forum has blocked access to your network address

I honestly don't know what's up, perhaps I pissed someone off there in the past, who knows?
March 07, 2011 01:32PM
RH,

Shoot Steve an e-mail. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting banned without a warning or explanation.

Bet it's a mistake, it's happened before.

Lon
March 08, 2011 12:13AM
Beautiful work, Gary!
March 08, 2011 02:19PM
Gary,

You've created another work of art. You know, you might want to start making locking wall mounts to properly display such a fine piece. It would have to be able to anchor it into the wall though, or the rifle might grow legs.

Keith
March 09, 2011 12:07AM
Gary :

Another beautiful Nitro Express. The new owner will certainly proud to own that. I especially like the small touches, like the Schnabel forend, and the pistol grip end piece. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Karl
March 09, 2011 01:46AM
I was "offline" for a couple of weeks and did not see the Nitro pics until the heads up email from Gary yesterday. I am so pleased and excited about this project and look forward to a trip to Maryland to pick the rifle up when completed. Everyone I shoot with has been following the progress of the rifle, though I don't think anyone really believes what these rifles can do! My only experiece was shooting at Joe Hoover's a couple of years ago and that made a believer out of me! It will be a blast getting to know this rifle and learning what it is capable of doing. I will post as I go along. It will NOT be a "safe queen".
Gary. What do you think about a 4 power fixed scope on this rifle?
March 09, 2011 03:36AM
Team Simmons rules!!!!smileys with beer
March 09, 2011 07:38PM
Hello Hugh,

I've done some good work with a fixed 4X. Everybody laughs at me for using the Simmons Turkey scopes with Diamond reticle. That diamond centers the eye well. The top of the diamond, bottom, and crosshair also give three solid points of aim, and the eye can easily add in two more by using half the post between the top of the diamond and crosshair, and also the bottom of diamond and crosshair. So, you really have 5 reliable points of aim.

Now ... to get the most out of the rifle, target wise, I'd use higher magnification. The 4X will do well, but you need a much bigger target dot at 100 or more. At 200 yards, with a 4X ... I'd guess you'd need a 10-12 inch spot.

Gary
Anonymous User
March 09, 2011 04:00AM
Beautiful rifle Gary, I know the owner will be grinning ear to ear when he opens the crate. That is a mahogany stock isn't it. Five years from now it will look better than it does now and that's almost impossible. It's just something about that wood that gets better with time.
March 09, 2011 07:24PM
Hi Joe,

I can see why you'd see that ... but actually, this is walnut. It will also color. I just got a Nitro Express back for a tune up. It's much more rich than it was when finished in 07.

Gary
March 12, 2011 05:39PM
Hugh will be a very happy man. I bet he is just itching to get his hands on that piece! Gary, is this primarily a bench rifle, or a hunter, or both. I get mixed up with all the models...
Cheers
Neil
March 13, 2011 06:50PM
Hello Neil,

It's a full sized gun. Best suited to the bench. Possible to hunt with. But then, I carried a Tundra 45 all day once to hunt Boar. eye rolling smiley Since I never have one, I've always grabbed what was available.

I designed the Grey Fox family to be more of the hunting/sporter weight.

Can't beat the Nitro Express models for reaching out ... and being stable on the bench though. The Pistol grip is correct for bench work. The weight is a plus there too.

Gary
March 12, 2011 05:44PM
I will say just one word. unbelievable
March 13, 2011 09:28AM
billet trigger guard looks very smart too , just the right amount of everything , except performance and quality ,,,, and as ever , thats way more than anyone would expect , unless they read here on a regular bassis ,
id say if a mass production company turned out guns like this they would be the talk of the airgunning comunity the world over , here , its the norm , just one of the best kept secrets thats out there for everyone to see.
March 13, 2011 07:01PM
Thanks Tom,

I appreciate it, very much.

BTW .. that billet trigger guard also performs the function of being an extremely solid "action clamp". The action is tightly inlet into the stock cavity, and that long solid bar clamp draws up from the bottom. Rock solid.

Gary
March 23, 2011 12:33PM
i love it when things do two jobs , design at its best
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021