Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

maintenance

maintenance
June 10, 2011 11:20PM
Hi Gary

I just completed another box of buckshot and I was wondering what type of maintenance is needed to keep the Victory up and running? What parts need lubing, adjusting, and or cleaning? This is my first barnes so I dont know what to expect.
Re: maintenance
June 11, 2011 02:29AM
Hello Reggie,

Glad you are using it. That's great. thumbs up

Lube the hammer occasionally. Just use 3 in 1 light weight oil. Lay the gun flat with the cocking stud up. Put about 3 drops along the top of the cocking slot, and 3 along the bottom. Then cock and release the hammer a few times to work it in.

Use the same oil on the bolt. With the bolt open, put a couple of drops on the O rings showing in the loading port. With the bolt open, put a few drops on the extended bolt showing at the back.

Shoot your projectiles with a coating of oil on them ... the same oil will work well. You can run a few patches thru the bore. No need to get it perfectly white. If the accuracy has remained, and you are shooting the slugs with a coating of oil ... then you don't need to clean the bore at all.

Enjoy,
Gary
June 29, 2011 08:54AM
I've read several places that more airgun barrels are permanently damaged by improper cleaning than any other reason. It's basically impossible to "shoot out" an airgun barrel unless you're running steel projectiles though it or something foolish like that, since there is no heat damage as in a conventional firearm. I imagine that the quotes are based on .177 bores, and probably choked bores as well, as those are common on older springers and it can be difficult to find a cleaning rod thats appropriate for the bore size.

So what do you guys think on the subject? Anyone using the all-plastic cleaning pull-throughs that I've seen for sale? The ones that look like a piece of heavy monofilament with a slot for a patch is what I'm referring to.

Of course the way things are going on the Barnes power curve, you'll soon be able to just reach up in the barrel with your arm and clean them by hand, since the barrel diameters keep getting bigger, and bigger, and...grinning smiley

Just think what the "Maryland-legal" airgun will have to look like, you'll probably have to hold it atop your shoulder like a bazooka.fudd
June 29, 2011 02:17PM
That's right Rotor,

You just run a floor sander thru it occasionally. hehehe.

Gary
July 20, 2011 05:53PM
Hi Gary,

Is 3 in 1 oil what you recommend for all of your guns?
I have been using Beeman MP-5 for several years. I use it on the guns as well as a tiny amount on the pellets.
I have never actually "cleaned" any of my air rifles like I would a firearm, and I have never seen a change in accuracy.

Scott
July 20, 2011 06:27PM
Hello Scott,

Thanks for the post.

I just use it as it's a light machine oil. Honestly, I think the airgun lube preferences can sometimes contain a bit of hype. It's always fun to be the explorer and fine the new product that nobody has seen before. I've been a bit boring as I've produced good results with readily available products.

Actually, I think that's a missed concept: The difference between "readily available" and "substandard or simplistic". Science has produced some amazing products and capitalism has made them readily available. I think we might feel things are not "exotic" enough if we don't have to explore to get them.

I'd suggest that you use whatever works well for you. Now - I know that spring guns require products that will not ignite during combustion. Follow manufacturer's recommendations. ;?)

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 11
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021