Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Had a great day - at the Range during a Hurricane. NOW WITH MOVIE IN THE THREAD

Had a great day - at the Range during a Hurricane. NOW WITH MOVIE IN THE THREAD
August 28, 2011 04:33AM
Look what came, nearly over the shop last evening. I believe it must have come down in a meadow about a 1/4 mile from here. Very, very low. three people in it. Fun to see.

Kent - Irene - Range 004.JPG

I set up the new 32 Mag to go to the range.

Kent - Irene - Range 012.JPG

Kent and his wife, and three children stopped by for the day. They were vacationing in Washington, Gettysburg, and the area. Kent and I went to the range, knowing full well we'd get wet.

Kent - Irene - Range 016.JPG

Kent - Irene - Range 017.JPG

I engineered a new system to keep the open end of the trailer dry. A series of "D" rings on the roof and sides, and spring clips. Added to some sort of jousting poles with spikes each end, a light angle iron spreader, and guy wires ... and we had a nice dry-ish tunnel on the open end of the War Wagon.

Kent - Irene - Range 022.JPG

Kent - Irene - Range 023.JPG

Kent shot his Grizzly 62 ...

Kent - Irene - Range 024.JPG

And I shot the 32 TGM

Althought the rain was driving and the wind blowing pretty steady to hard, we did very well. The rain slacked up a bit, here and there, and we'd try to tend targets then.

I have targets, stories, and a neat video. The 32 Magnum worked amazing. You won't believe some of things it did.

It's Midnight thirty now. All day in the rain ... I'm tired. More later.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2011 01:40AM by barnespneumatic.
Kent - Irene - Range 014.JPG
Re: Had a great day - at the Range during a Hurricane
August 28, 2011 12:43PM
Hi Gary,

I'm glad to see you and Kent having some range time. The war wagon rainy day set up looks improvised and practical. I'll be expecting the pictures and videos of you range day. It's nice to see the .32 magnum so close to be finished. It looks like a winner."festive"

Hopefully I'll have today some range time of my own.

Julio
August 28, 2011 03:31PM
Yes - very nice day. We proved that you can shoot in wind and rain - quite a bit of both hahah.

Here are a few pics. I'll process the videos later.

Kent - Irene - Range 028.JPG

Note that the 32 Mag. really liked some old "Barnes Totem Pole" slugs I had in the war wagon. 165 grain slugs - they really packed a punch at 100 yards on the heavy steel groundhog targets. And you see a nice tight cloverleaf here at 50 yards, in the driving rain and heavy wind. We laminated the backs of the targets with duck tape, cause they got soaked thru in a minute out in the hard rain.

Because the hay in the field was pretty high, we couldn't just set the steel groundhogs here and there. During the day, a big old rotten tree conveniently blew over into the field. So - we set the groundhogs on that log! Good timing. Got some movie footage of that.

Kent - Irene - Range 032.JPG

Kent - Irene - Range 035.JPG

Kent - Irene - Range 020.JPG

Kent holds some sight in targets we made at 50 yards.

Kent did some research for me. I had some new 62 caliber slugs to test. He had brought his Grizzly 62. Extremely powerful gun at about 750 foot pounds. He pounded some paper plates and steel for me. You see the green holes in one target are one slug, the other holes a new mold too. That one is a bit too small to size properly.

Kent - Irene - Range 037.JPG

Kent - Irene - Range 039.JPG

I was shocked when I thought I'd toss in some buckshot I received from my friend Tony, on Long Island. I pointed it at a steel target we had setting atop our 50 yard sandwich board, and the thing rang like a bell, and the steel target leaped off the backer!

I was using 2 1/4 mil-dots at 14 power on my Nikko Stirling scope at 50 yards. I thought, what the heck .. let's try. I lined up on a steel ground hog atop the fallen tree at about 100 yards .... I used 3 mil-dots. Bang ... RING!!! and the groundhog smartly jumped off the log!!!!! I was shocked to see those little cheap ball fly well to 100 yards, with authority. I figured it was a fluke. Tried another RING!!! And another RING!!! The things tracked great, and just produced a cloud of paint and lead dust. Amazing.

Pic 39 shows where I was hitting. Left one doesn't show as much in the pic.

Kent - Irene - Range 042.JPG

Kent's strikes were not hard to find. hahaha. But the groundhogs were. They just disappeared off the log, when struck. hahaha.

Gary

More later.
August 28, 2011 04:27PM
Great post Gary! You had a good time even with the bad weather all over you. Who said that you couldn't shoot during a hurricane?what was that

Thanks for sharing.
August 28, 2011 04:47PM
Darn hurricanes! I'm sorry I had to miss the shoot but I'm glad I made the call not to go. I had to run the generator from about 5:00 Saturday evening until whenever the power comes back, it's still running now. I had several trees come down. Two were across the driveway and two more in the yard, one across the front of the shed. Fortunately, I have my file and saw so I was able to sharpen the blades this morning and cut my way out. I would have just used a lumberjack gun but there were kids and houses down range!
August 28, 2011 06:13PM
Gary,

Nice shooting!

Kinda dangerous up there with all those natural disasters in one month.The Reaper

Lon
August 28, 2011 07:32PM
It's "LIfe on the Edge" Lon. We just laugh at danger!!!

Hah!!

laughing
August 28, 2011 10:16PM
Glad you got to go do some shooting. Looks like Another Fine Rifle. As for the Hot air balloon, we used to get them all the time over our house, as used our neighbor's field as a landing zone. Used to scare the Crap out of our Golden Retriever. hahaha

Rick G.
August 28, 2011 11:01PM
Yeah ... I spelled out SOS on the ground in coconuts, .... whistling ... but got no responce at all!

Another idea!
August 29, 2011 01:10AM
Yea, i hear they can be Fickle like that, Especially when there are Guns around! hahasurrender
August 29, 2011 01:16AM
Loading a movie now ... for this thread.
Re: Had a great day - at the Range during a Hurricane. NOW WITH MOVIE IN THE THREAD
August 29, 2011 01:41AM

Take a look at me shooting simple buckshot @ 100 yards with the 32 Magnum. And, Kent vaporizing his 575 grain slugs @ 100 yards.

Green bowing

Gary
August 29, 2011 01:45AM
Yeah ... that last one was slowed down to half speed, and then that was slowed down to half speed again. In real time, the steel plate with base, just disappeared. hahahah.

Gary
August 29, 2011 01:45AM
Buckshot at 100yds with a .32.. Impressive!

Rick G.
August 29, 2011 01:49AM
Hi Rick,

Yes, personally, I would not have believed it. But, it was easy.

I had the chronograph out there, but it was so gloomy and rainy, it didn't work. I'll check it in the shop, but it was cookin' The 165 grain bullets were very fast, and very straight ... so the buckshot ball ... IIRC ... about 50 grains ... must be supersonic - easy. With the electronic ear cups, I could not hear it. I shot one without ... and it was just too loud without cups, in the mouth of the War Wagon.

Gary
August 29, 2011 01:53AM
Now That is some Serious power for a .32, magnum or not!
does it have any kick to it?

Rick G.
August 29, 2011 01:57AM
Broke my jaw, my shoulder, and my snicker's bar in three places!!! injured hahaha.

No - not really.

I must mention to the readers. Rick now has our Power Ball numbers ... so; this 32 Mag. will most likely be the last rifle I make for a while. whistling At least the last one, before the shop "turns a profit". ;?)

hahaa

Gary
August 29, 2011 02:00AM
OH Man...the weight of the Forum is on me now.. Thanks!pushingarock

.G kciR
August 29, 2011 03:18AM
If you might be into hot air balloons ... I uploaded my balloon video to photobucket, by mistake.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2011 03:22AM by barnespneumatic.
August 29, 2011 03:29AM
Just another comment, to close out the evening.

On those steel ground hogs, they have very heavy bases. Made of 3/8" thick angle iron - with angle wings of 3" and some are 3" one side and 4" the other. The faces are double thicknesses of 10 guage steel, IIRC. The big guns bend and buckle them. I'd have never expected the buckshot ball to move them, at 100 yds.

I'm not really "Selling" the ball for the purpose. I'm just so blown away that it did.

Goodnight Irene,

Gary
August 29, 2011 05:26AM
Thanks for posting the videos. That .32 is a very handsome piece of work.
August 29, 2011 02:23PM
Did you guys notice how rich the Grizzly stock is getting? The lighting in the War Wagon isn't exactly photo studio quality ... but you can see that it's really turning a rich hue. One of the reasons I enjoy Mahogany.

Gary
August 29, 2011 06:12PM
Coffee Break (well - Pretzle Pcs. and Iced tea ... whatever).

I don't know if you guys ever look at any of the wealth of posted material ... I recalled this video ... made with the Grizzly shooting steel @ 100 yards. Thought you should see it again.

[www.airgunrendezvous.com]

Gary
Awesome accuracy and impressive with the ball ammo. I like how that 62 smack,s them down at 100 yard,s....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021