Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HAWG .... complete

HAWG .... complete
November 26, 2011 02:24AM
a_Hawg1.jpg

This is a 62 caliber smooth bore Horse Pistol. I use that term to describe a heavy long barrel saddle pistol. With it's detachable buttstock, and it's optional 25 caliber rifled insert; it has quite a range of possibilities.

a_Kelly.jpg

Kelly helped me with the pics. Right at dusk.

a_Hawg2.jpg

a_Hawg5.jpg

The buttstock is attached via a long draw bolt interfacing with a hub in the butt of the pistol grip.

a_Hawg3.jpg

a_Hawg4.jpg

Note my new "Color Case Anodizing" on the billet parts of the gun. It's all wrapped in a pc. of walnut burl I've had in the shop for some time. Not a bad combo.

a_Hawg6.jpg

The pistol is wearing it's "Power Kit" which places it at it's max. power range. Also gives a widely tunable range to find the sweet spot for any given set up. This power kit includes internal options which can be swapped out. The long hammer tube tail stock can be replaced with a shortie version if it were desired to set the gun up in strictly pistol format and forego adjustments.

And, just a splash of relief carving to set a nice mood for the pc.

And now, to the range for final testing.
After that, this HAWG hunts!

take a bow This fine PCP proudly MADE IN AMERICA USA!  USA!

Gary

Enjoy Eric. I know you will use it. And ... now pay attention out the front of the blind too ... wink
Re: HAWG .... complete
November 26, 2011 02:32AM
now thats a fine pcp. if we could only have some more talented people like Barnes to make the rest of what we need.
November 26, 2011 03:14AM
That's just too nice for words Gary. I promise I'll do my best to make it proud...
November 26, 2011 04:58PM
Gary,

I really like the way that turned out.

The camera flash is flooding the receiver with light. It's not doing the metal work justice.

thumbs up

Lon
November 26, 2011 09:07PM
Amazing work as usual. Besr thing is thay its going to be used and enjoyed.
November 26, 2011 10:17PM
You are making it VERY, VERY hard to stay with my currant choice here..

I Truly like the look and lines of the HAWG..

Hmmmmmm.....
November 26, 2011 11:01PM
No worries Rick. These all look like crap compared to yours. laughing
November 26, 2011 11:09PM
Well...If that's the case, OK.
Although NOTHING you have Ever made looked like Crap..I truly don't think you have it in you to do a Bad Design,
Just Saying.....
November 26, 2011 11:42PM
Sssshhhhhhh .... don't tell the other guys? winking smiley

Thanks for that. I appreciate it. grinning smiley

Gary
November 27, 2011 12:35AM
Damn nice gun GB. Sorry for the cursing but, this gun deserves it...............lol
November 27, 2011 03:03AM
PHENOMENAL gun Gary! It's nice that it will go where we will see it again. You can tell the camera has a hard time showing all the depth of your work at once and still the pics are awesome."festive" The color case hardened look and the burl are a great combo.

Kent
November 27, 2011 09:14AM
That is one fine looking piece of work there, Mr. Barnes.

I assume that there is no velcro involved?winking smiley
November 28, 2011 03:27AM
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Pellet loading tool.

Gary
November 28, 2011 03:51AM
? ? Say What?!
November 28, 2011 01:29PM
The gun is a bolt action 62. For that you drop the slug in and close the bolt. When you install the 25 insert? You have to be able to load it. The loading port is still 62 caliber.The transfer port is still in the same position. You can't see the end of the 25 breech cause it's forward of the transfer port. So .... This is the sweet part ... I chambered the front of the 62 bolt nose to receive the 25 slug. This little tool has a 25 caliber cup in the little hammer-like nose. Put the slug in there backwards and just place it in the bolt nose chamber. Saves any fumbling or dropping the pellet into the 62 size loading port.

Simple. nowthatIthink

Gary

Iphone
November 28, 2011 01:18PM
How is it that your "pellet loading tool" has more thought put into it than most of my other guns? I know I've got some sub-par guns whistling but come on...
November 28, 2011 01:37PM
Hi Eric

I figured you might use it ... Several times. laughing

Thought that after fumbling around with visegrips, needle nose pliers, sticks, screwdrivers, and the like ... to load the pellets into the bolt nose, you'd scratch up my gun. Hehe. Just protecting my investment. More coffee

Gary
November 29, 2011 03:01PM
Looks like that loading to has a finger tip plunger to insert the pellet, no? I thought it might also be a little gavel. COol piece of kit.

Kent
November 30, 2011 01:22AM
Thanks Kent,

Actually, no ... there's no need for a seater. The bolt does that. All you have to do is place it in the bolt nose. What you are seeing is the base of one of my 63 grain 25 Daisycutter slugs.

;?)

Gary
November 30, 2011 12:47AM
WOW !

what machining !

what anodizing !

what execution !

OH, and it seems to have some kinda wood stock on it too............more innocent

hehe
November 30, 2011 02:13AM
Last range testing. I'd already sent ahead all the nicely cast slugs to Eric. I was left with a can of "sighters" for my final testing. I'd consider them to be #3 grade. Actually had little pcs. out of the front rings. But - often a good slug will do well even in poor condition. It's the base of the slug that is most critical.

a_Hawg@50.jpg

I did some power testing. I noted loading and trigger feel. Checked the cocking smoothness, etc.

Only shot one group. This will work. #3 quality slugs @ 50 yards with a smooth bore. A double and a close 3rd at 12 o'clock. These were shot on a regulated line. The gun IS really a horse pistol - and the attachable shoulder stock makes it a short carbine. However: final testing proved the gun provides THREE shots averaging over 300 foot pounds from it's internal reservoir. Not shabby for a air pistol. And great accuracy for a smooth bore slug as well.

Gonna toss in here too ... this is off a pile of bags on a truck tailgate. I'm sitting in the mud on a step stool, and the rear rest is a rolled up blue tarp. I suspect someone might devise an even better set-up in time.

thumbs up

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2011 02:16AM by barnespneumatic.
November 30, 2011 05:53AM
Well that turned out reaal nice Gary! Eric, you are a lucky man...
regards
Neil
December 04, 2011 09:19AM
Amazing work, like Gray because Gray is amazing man. He is special for me.
December 13, 2011 07:01PM
Thank you Ertogrul. I appreciate it. winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021