Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: At range

At range
January 24, 2012 08:53PM
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

About 50 yards, thru backer, into a scrub locust tree. Most bury below the surface. Some rebound or skim off to the side. Found these. 575 grains. Shooting with the gun on regulator set at 2,000 psi (simulating it's second shot). Pretty potent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2012 08:07PM by barnespneumatic.
January 25, 2012 12:21AM
Had shot up all my sandwich target boards, until they would no longer stand. While trying to get out the door, I made up a new one. Only had a few scraps for back legs. Wired on, I figured they'd be out of the way on the edges.

Having had the gun down, the barrel off, and new slugs to boot .. it wasn't sighted in. So, the first shots were very right. And, the FIRST THREE SLUGS all hit the leg I worried might be too narrow anyway ... winking smiley. And it was just hanging by a thread after that! Hah!

The slugs really hammer things at 50 yards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2012 08:10PM by barnespneumatic.
January 25, 2012 12:23AM

The slugs embedded and mushroomed inside the Locust tree on the hedgerow.
January 25, 2012 12:27AM

The new slug flies well from this stainless smooth bore barrel.

This is a pretty typical grouping. It kicks pretty hard buoy definitely know you are playing with serious energy.
January 25, 2012 12:30AM

Notice how straight the slug tracks at fifty yards. From a smooth bore slug that is not spinning for stabalization. That's not an accident. ;?) That's the result of about a dozen sets of tooling to ferret out the secrets.

scholar

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2012 12:48AM by barnespneumatic.
January 25, 2012 12:37AM
I'll be waiting for some slugs Jerry cast for me in 308. I don't currently have anything suitable in a slug. I forgot about the pellets ... But those are pretty labor intensive anyway.

I have some long, long slugs from tooling made during the Prairie Hawk build. They are improper for this twist rate. However, for a lark, I cut three of those in two segments each, by rolling them on a wooden tool handle with my pocketknife. To my pleasure, each end shot and produced about a 1.2 - 2" group at 50 yds! Haha. With perfectly round holes. heheh Not the normal approach. But it shows me I just need shorter slugs. On the way.

Finally, this gun is within a few hours of completion. Sean, you better use this thing. Don't make me come UP THERE! hot smiley

Haha. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2012 12:46AM by barnespneumatic.
January 25, 2012 12:52AM
When I developed the first Woodsman slug .. I made quite a few designs. I finally worked out the one that worked well. And, it came in at 575 grains. Well ... that one was for the Blued Woodsman that Jerry has. He has that mold. When wanting to make a copy of that, just a bit bigger in diameter ... I searched a dozen places I should have had one of those slugs. Gone. Like there had been an effort to wipe the place clean.

Well, that first mold had been cut by component cutters, instead of one single cherry cutter of finished shape. I had to go by memory and what clued I had. And, I made this new cutter. Looked right to me.

I cut the mold and cast it. AND ... the resulting slug came in at .... 575 grains. Whoooooh ... scared
January 25, 2012 12:55AM

The back of that target leg. 3/4 inch plywood. Those slugs just wreck the place! And, they just punched it like a paper curtain - left it standing there - didn't even knock it down.

I can't believe the first three shots ruined ... why me ... hahahah

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2012 12:59AM by barnespneumatic.
January 25, 2012 06:50AM
There's no doubt those things are going straight, those holes look just like they were punched by a semi-wadcutter, perfect rings. And they DO hit hard, it looks like your backstays are gonna need some work pretty soon. Boy, for being brand-new, that one is in terrible shape. laughing again

I hope the new .308s show up soon. I'd hate to see you lopping chunks off of a roll of 30 caliber lead swaging wire just to try it out. winking smiley

And yes, it will get some use up here. Might be a while till they open up the formal shooting range, the road hasn't been plowed since about 25 feet ago...snow wise. I'll have to take it out to the beach to try it out, if you hit it at low tide the whole thing is cleared without having to lift a shovel at all. grinning smiley
January 25, 2012 01:34AM
Congratulations Gary for the nice results achieved using the .62 slug. It's amazing how much power you are obtaining out of 2,500 psi. Outstanding!
January 25, 2012 07:53PM
Gary,
I'm not surprised you remembered how to make what you wanted. That is the art of what you do!
It never amazes me how straight and true you slugs fly.bowing
January 25, 2012 09:59PM
Well, it appears days of effort have culminated in success. Who'd have thunk it? smiling smiley

I completed the rush job last night and sent out 20-22 slugs each of 6 designs. I was casting fast and in the dark (it takes high noon for me not to be in the dark anymore...) Anyhow, I think I got a bunch of #2 slugs on the way that are suitable for testing but probably not what Timmy would put in the mail. Anything that shows promise can be cast and sorted to match grade standards and I'll bring the gun down here to verify molds and sizing just for this gun after Gary blesses it. I know that Sean will appreciate the effort and time I and Timmy put in to make sure all is as perfect as we can support (obviously Gary has produced a jewel deserving proper support). After all, you don't feed a masterpiece less than perfect ammo. I expect Sean will want to pay Gary a huge and Timmy a significant bonus for this level of attention and rightly so. I expect 3-4 months of testing ought to deliver enough data to satisfy everyone involved...unless forum members have questions or comments that clearly need investigation.
January 25, 2012 11:23PM
Jerry ... remember, we talked about this ... whistling
January 26, 2012 12:36AM
Spoil sport!
January 26, 2012 12:39AM
Thanks for the slugs. thumbs up

We'll just consider any undesirable groups to be the result of the #2 slugs and the fact that the old man cast them! And ... The sun was in my eyes ... winking smiley
January 26, 2012 06:28AM
A mere three to four months...right...I see....you're a saint, Jerry, a saint....winking smiley
January 26, 2012 08:58PM
I try!
January 27, 2012 02:33AM
Small town details.

I was on the way to pick up slugs at 1:05 pm. Our post office is closed for lunch from 1-2. Since I recalled you saying it would require a signature, I knew it would be inside the locked office proper. Not the loby boxes.

And then the hours between 2-5 passed in a few minutes. Have to check in the am.

I made progress on Bison parts. One ear and part of the tail. winking smiley
January 27, 2012 07:30AM
Gotta love those post office hours, they make "bankers hours" look like a 24/7 operation by comparison. Ever since the crooks in Congress were "persueded" to let UPS and FedEx cherry pick the most profitable pieces of the package delivery pie the handwriting has been on the wall for the USPS, and the message hasn't been good.

Our local P.O. isn't in danger of closing like some, but the current employees are doing the job with less people since every time someone leaves, they aren't replaced. It's still one of the unofficial social hotspots in town since we all have to go there to pick up our mail, but they get to looking a bit frazzled around the edges behind the counter by quitting time.

The feds could fix the problems at the USPS overnight without spending another taxpayers dime if they really wanted to. All they'd have to do is pass a new law that requires all the other package delivery outfits to provide equivalent service to every municipality in every state. The current situation lets them get away with serving just the biggest urban areas, while basically ignoring rural America (Alaska and Hawaii in particular). The USPS doesn't have that luxury, they HAVE to provide mail service to every little burg and ville out there across the land. It's no wonder why they're having trouble doing that while running in the black, it's not a level playing field.
January 27, 2012 07:54PM
Slugs got here. It was a nice looking morning, but I was onto the Bison. As I debated making the trek to the range, it got super windy. Just short of "tear the place up" windy... but nasty windy. The vison of sitting in a trailer, with the ramp open, on a windy Jan. day kept me here on the machine work.

Just got to the point of the Bison holding air.

Gary
January 27, 2012 10:12PM
Sounds like it's not much fun outside there, good time to hole up indoors.

We're not having the best of weather here either, we got another 2-3 feet of heavy, wet snow in the last 36 hours, followed by another days worth of light powder. It's drifting all over the place, re-burying the stuff that just got dug out. We contract with a guy who uses a backhoe tractor with a big snow pusher bucket, but since we're the closest house to him we either get cleared first...or last. Yesterday I had to park down the hill and trudge up to the garage to dig out the snowblower since my big 4wd Dodge(with studded snow tires) wouldn't make it up the driveway through all the new snow that had fallen that day. A couple hours later I finally fishtailed into the parking space I'd cleared. By morning it looked like it had been there all winter, drifted solid. Another few hours of shovelling combined with the backhoe and we're back to "just" the icey base layer.eye rolling smiley

Today it's been clear and calm...perfect weather for the city water mains to start freezing and bursting in the more vulnerable spots. They got it fixed, but the water lines are full of air, and I'm wondering how long it's gonna be until it freezes again. We're forecast more snow this week, followed by rain. This means that due to the weight of the wet snow, I'm going to have to shovel the roof....again. sad smiley And this time I don't have a spare teenager to help me, he's out of town with the basketball team.

This is beginning to affect my continued enthusiasm for living up here year-round. I am starting to suspect that living in other locatons MAY just be more desirable in the winter months.sunny
January 28, 2012 12:10AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021