Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Progress Pictures - Shops and Range

Progress Pictures - Shops and Range
November 08, 2012 02:49AM
More Progress pictures.

MachineShop.jpg

The Machine Shop. I'm organizing and installing shelves, benches, and adjusting the electric outlets and drops to service the machines

Woodshop_Wall.jpg

The wall between the Woodshop and the Welding shop (Lower building) is nearly complete. As you can see - we installed a ton of electric outlets. This wall is 12 1/2 feet tall and 40 feet long. Sheathed in plywood and painted white to be reflective of light.

Woodshop.jpg

I have a few machines useable in the Woodshop. It's been great to have use of some. In the Md. shop, I didn't have room to set up my Radial Arm saw. I bought that unit new in 1975. A good Craftsman machine. I used it hard for many years. Most recently, in Md., I had it stored and used a nice Radial Compound Chop saw Kelly gave me for Christmas one year.

Wood_Welding_Doorway.jpg

Between the Woodshop and Welding shops, there will be a 3'2" door. It's a prehung unit. Waiting to install after machinery has been placed.

We are sheathing the ceiling. Lights go in tomorrow.

This shop (Woodworking) will now be technically usable ... and will get more so as it's organized and items are unpacked. I'll FINALLY be able to get rid of some BOXES!! hahah.

Thanks for reading. Hope I'm working it right. I'm trying to share the experience - and give encouragement to everybody who is waiting; that the whole move wasn't some hairbrained idea. It's really coming together. Sure not bragging because it's all very simple. Simple house. Low profile area. Simple tools and buildings. But it's going to allow me to have room to work on my projects, without them being stacked on top of each other. I'll actually have room to work - where I literally often had to search for an area big enough to place a cup of coffee.

Gary_leaf.jpg

The other day, I accidently shrunk myself! why me Fortunately, Kelly was able to turn the dial the other way, and restored me to a condition which passes for normal. Phew! Close.

50-110yd_range.jpg

I have established a test range to use during construction and proofing of the airguns. I cut this trail back thru the thicket. This is a pic from the 50-110 yard section.

50-0ydsRange.jpg

This pic shows a view of the new range, from the 50 yard position back to the shed at 0 yards.

Gary
November 08, 2012 05:34AM
Nice pictures, Gary. The place is looking great.

Lon
November 08, 2012 05:49AM
Looks like that will be a nice sheltered range for 100 + yard shooting Gary, what more could you ask for than one of those in the back yard!
Wood workshop is looking good thumbs up
As to shrinkage, they say that happens when you get older, but I couldn't possibly saynot lookin' good
Cheers
Neil
November 08, 2012 04:46PM
Hi Neil,

I wouldn't know about getting older. Been too busy.

Keep having this thought ... "I want to sit down".

How is your project coming along? I know that is a huge one.

Gary
November 08, 2012 03:28PM
Hi Gary,

The lower building partitions are getting done very rapidly. Good for you! About the range, I do have a suggestion: if you ever need to widen it a bit, you could ask Jerry to come and help you chop some trees down using his Yukon .62…

NIce range, nice sorroundings thumbs up

Julio
November 08, 2012 03:55PM
Really neat seeing everything coming together! You have had a very busy year!

Be awesome to have your own range in the backyard. Looking forward to seeing chips fly once again .

Best regards,
Pedro
November 08, 2012 04:49PM
Looking forward to that myself. Can't say I ever want to move again. thumbs up
November 08, 2012 06:27PM
Nice looking range there, I assume we'll be seeing a lot of photos from that particular spot as things progress. I was going to suggest that you keep a chainsaw handy in the new casting/sizing/shooting house that you'll build at the range, but I like Julios idea better,grinning smiley

BTW, I'm still jealous of the new shop. You have more grounded 110V outlets on that one wall than I have in my whole house. electrified
November 09, 2012 05:42AM
Hi Sean,

I don't skimp on the outlets. And, I still never have enough or one where I need it. hahah. winking smiley

For a couple of tools (table saw for instance), I decided to install a 220 wall outlet - for much of the time when the saw can sit within a couple of feet of the wall - and then an eight foot pigtail cord down at floor level. In this way, I can roll the saw to the center of the shop to handle sheet goods. You can't drop a power cord from overhead for a table saw - it's in the way. Wall outlet alone is limited by the four foot cord on the saw. With the pigtail ... I can roll it out and have the cord safely on the floor. Did the same thing for the MIG welder.

I also installed drop boxes from the ceiling over areas where work tables will be in the floor space. Several overhead florscent lights up high for general room lights .... then there will be lower tube lights over work areas for serious illumination on task.

Takes a bunch of wire, boxes, and materials ... but fighting power cords and air hoses, is something I've hated for several decades. I'll run PVC air lines thru the shops too.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2012 10:15PM by barnespneumatic.
November 09, 2012 12:58PM
Nope, not the Tercel! I've been in that car three times and that's enough. I'm getting a Ford Focus ST. I thought about just trading in the truck but then I'd still just have a guzzler. Getting the ST is about ten grand cheaper than trading for an equivelent truck and means I can do my commute without driving an extra 4000 pounds of steel around.

It's going to be pretty wierd switching between sitting up high and sitting with eye level about at truck tire level...
November 08, 2012 10:09PM
The Yukon lumberjack is ready to help! I just hope i can get the gun case inside the little hatchback i'm busy buying! If so, i could make the trip without a second mortgage with Exxon...
November 09, 2012 05:04AM
Are you buying the Tercel from your boys Jerry? Hope they come up with good terms for you. I know it's broken in well. None of the normal worries associated with a new car and parking lots. Good choice.

I can use some help clearing timber. Took down two trees tonight, in fact. Two I constantly have to maneauver around with the truck and tractor. With the chainsaw and tractor bucket - it took about 20-30 minutes. With the Yukon, it would have been far quicker. winking smiley

Gary
November 09, 2012 07:44PM
it will be very nice shop, when its finish
November 10, 2012 07:41PM
Try white tile board on the walls and ceiling for a super brite reflective suface.
Very glossy, easy to dust off and you can use it as a dry erase board, also if you stagger it over sheetrock seams no mudding, taping, priming or painting, I work part time at Home Depot and a customer was useing it for a paint booth ,another in their landscape office so they could use the walls as dry erase board and do quick designs. At $12.00 a sheet you might only want it behind lights and machinery with all your sq. footage.

Joe
November 10, 2012 08:18PM
I like the stuff. Yes. Does have to be over a substrate or it becomes a wavy mess. That substrate also costs something. But everything adds up these days. Good reminder for work boards and it is super white. Also, when you are really ready to print some trophy groups, that will take a clean hole. Really show you the track of your bullet - wobble if any.
Thks for your post. Gary
Anonymous User
November 15, 2012 12:13AM
You have plenty of room. Amazing how fast this became a reality.
November 15, 2012 02:21AM
Hello Don,

Good - I'm glad it seems that way from your side if the screen. I have always been concerned that it might seem like it's dragging on. But we've been at it solid, I guarantee.

It is coming together. Becoming reality. Once we button up the Maryland end, life will lighten up a bit - we hope. Nevertheless, much of the process has been enjoyable. Thank you for reading along.

winking smiley

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021