Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Orion

Orion
January 24, 2013 05:25AM
Please first see my post this day: Barnes Pneumatic South is Open! [www.airgunrendezvous.com]

To continue ....

As I've sold my rifle ... I will use the opportunity to do some fine work in my new Studio location, The first step is to remove the stock from the action, and design the artwork. I lay this out with pencil and sharpie. Most of the work is drawn directly onto the stock - one off. Each section is an origional - even side to side.

Forestock_Orion62.jpg

Here is additional forestock ornamentation, to be carved. It is needed to keep the gun balanced visually, with the carving on other parts of the stock.

Orion62_Pistolgrip.jpg

The pistol grip gets deep relief carved vines and scrolls, in the round.

Orion_Sketch.jpg

Here is my origional sketch for my interpretation of "Orion The Hunter". The Hunter will appear this side. Reverse side will be scroll work in this area. As with my Grizzly, Caribou, and Primitive Hunter carvings ... I do one side of the master theme (rather then attempting to make a copy and give every person alive the opportunity to prefer one side to the other ... ;?)

Orion_Original_Sketch.jpg

Sketched ....

Orion_sketch_detail.jpg

Closer refined detail of what I shall relief carve ...

Orion_buttstock2.jpg

Here you see the image razored out and placed on the stock. I'll copy the outline and draw in the details on the wood ...

Orion_cutout.jpg

I've added a bit of stylized "Orion Nebula" there in front of our Hunter.

Other detail will be added. It's been good to create some fine art in the studio we've worked so hard to establish.

Hope you like it. Thanks for reading.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2013 05:30AM by barnespneumatic.
January 24, 2013 01:47PM
Gary,

Glad to see you back at it! Everyone of us enjoys seeing your artistic creations!

Wish you the best of health so you can do what you love.

"If you love what you are doing, you will never work a day in your life!"

God Bless...

Pedro
January 24, 2013 10:46PM
Nice. I'll bet it's a relief to be working on an actual airgun instead of working on being able to work on airguns. And no, I can't say that ten times fast. smiling smiley
January 25, 2013 01:29AM
Amazing as always, yet still pushing the envelope.
January 25, 2013 03:04AM
Good to see you'll have the chips flying soon. Hope to see the Orion on a few posts during and after your finishiing touches are applied.

Kent
January 25, 2013 04:16AM
Hello Kent,
Well, the eraser crumbs and pencil lead flew for some time. Today, I have had wood chips flying all day. I've just quit about 11 pm. It hurts so good! Haha. Feels great to be creating something from a thought once again.
I suspect we will see the Orion. I shall continue to post the progress.
Gary
(from beautiful Studio Pines, Fla.). sunny
January 25, 2013 04:59AM
Gary.jpg

Spent the day carving. An exhausting and wonderful change from setting up shops and moving!!

OrionCarvingEarly.jpg

After transferring the artwork to the stock blank .... I began roughing out the relief

RamenNoodles.jpg

Ooooops ... how'd that get in there ... Ramen Noodles ... one of my secrets. Don't tell me anything bad about them. Allow me this one tiny pleasure ..... winking smiley

Rough_Orion.jpg

Farther along. Already, a Dude ya wouldn't want to mess with! bad dude

Gary
January 25, 2013 02:14PM
Yeah, I was just thinking he looks a lot meaner in relief versus in pen and ink. Good to see the shops back in action. smileys with beer

-- Jim
January 25, 2013 04:17PM
very nice Gary, Really very nice.. Great work.. you are perfect. super
January 25, 2013 11:55PM
OrionMidPass.jpg

Here is the Mid Pass at the Orion Hunter Character.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2013 11:58PM by barnespneumatic.
January 26, 2013 03:28AM
And now we shall have a brief interlude while I source another air compressor.

The mid sized portable unit I was using ... ahhh ... Detonated. Pushed the piston out, sheared the toothed drive belt while the motor/gear drive broke the motor/pump casting in half. It's duty cycle was apparently .... Insufficient.

So; a mid sized portable 110 unit is the same price as a 60 gallon shop stationary twin cylinder. But I have that in Maryland; awaiting the trailer. I hate to loose portable capacity because its been so handy down here and during the move. I was going to get a larger 80 gal two stage. But those are beasts and I'd spend time wiring and installing and fork lifting which i dont have time for now. I planned to enjoy running this job and then setting out for Md. I have appointments there.

No foul. It's just machinery. It comes and goes. I shall be back! thumbs up

Gary
January 26, 2013 06:42PM
Back carving. New Compressor is very nice. thumbs up

Got the portable (barely at 169 pounds). Kobalt (made by Sandford in Canada) cast iron twin pump. Synthetic oil. 30 gal. Tank. Heavy air tires. Very quiet compared to the manic noise from the last one. Chose it based upon huge list of impeccable reviews. In stock at Lowes.

Working. winking smiley

Gary
January 26, 2013 10:27PM
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Boy this made an ugly noise when it broke. There is a second strut underneath that is similar size. It also broke clean. Toast.

New unit is working very well. Nice and quiet. Love that.

Danger. Extensive carving can make your hair thin!

Mid pass at the pistol grip. Carving long stocks, in the round, is a constant juggle of position and clearance.

Going well. Enjoyable to be using the shop for its intended purpose. winking smiley

Gary
January 26, 2013 10:54PM
I like the carving, definitely unique.

The way he's pointing sort of makes me want to insert one of those cartoon "thought balloons" as if he's saying "Why yes, the bullets come out of THAT end down there". smiling smiley
January 27, 2013 01:37AM
Sean,

Good timing for your comment. I have pics I'm posting regarding the "Logic" of the artwork and thoughts that are going into it.

Please see the post "Orion Logic".

thumbs up

Gary
January 27, 2013 03:19PM
That's amazing GB. I really like the picture you came up with to suit the name. Very creative. The GOD actually looks like you. No.....not joking this time......lol!
January 27, 2013 09:36PM
LOL! It's part of a series of self portraits. Remember "Primitive Hunter?"
January 29, 2013 11:00PM
I think you're on to something Jerry. He must be channelling Clive Cussler and his cameos. Don't we all picture ourselves as twenty somethings until we look at a graven image or the mirror. I wonder if that's why so many cultures have taboos about photographs?

Kent
January 30, 2013 12:49AM
I think you may be on to something with that idea Kent. winking smiley
January 30, 2013 01:42AM
Yup! Pictures of other people are OK but pictures of me now violate all that is good!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021