Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Finger Sketches .... iPhone 4

Finger Sketches .... iPhone 4
August 11, 2013 02:45AM
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Yeah. First things. I gave up on the Galaxy S4. Too many screwy issues. Went back to my antique iPhone 4. Applied a few things I learned while researching for the Galaxy. Loaded a simple sketch program called Sketch Guru.

With this program, you use only your finger as a tool. You set the responce for a variety of line types - width and darkness. You can choose to make the finger responce as a more hazy line. You can make it faint or bold. You can change the color of the responce. You are not using stencils or patterns. It's just like a brush and canvas. I wish I had a fine point stylus - I've been researching those. Regular Stylus have the big honking rubber knob that you cant see around, and they do not glide over the screen. You have to press down and they drag. Just do not work. You need to be able to use a light touch. The Jot Pro seems the closest thing that exists. You see - these screens were designed with the finger touch in mind. So; to my research, the screen needs about a 6mm Capacitive contact point to register. The Jot pro gets around this by using a clear disc and showing you the center where contact will be made. Problem with just using your finger is that, for detail, your finger is covering what you are doing. So you are drawing blind - imagining what is under the middle of your finger touch.

BUT - even so; with the variety of tool strokes available and being familiar with using tools and painting - you can do some neat things. The following sketch was done totally with just my index finger as a tool, and the small screen of the iPhone 4. Sort of like "Primitive Digital Cave drawings". Haha. winking smiley

This has been a God Send to save my sanity though. I've done a number of these, just sitting on the edge of the bed - sitting in the truck ... Just for therapy. They do not take long, but sooth the soul. Hope you enjoy. winking smiley

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I know there are nice rigs that do this. I think one is a Wacom or some such. Might be something to look forward to.

artist

take a bow

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2013 08:25PM by barnespneumatic.
August 11, 2013 05:22PM
Gary,

What kind of issues did you have with the S4. I have some contacts that might be able to help.

Greg
August 11, 2013 10:09PM
Hi Greg

I fought it day and late into the night for my two week trial. Its gone now - I don't want you to fix it all now after I took it back. Haha. winking smiley. One thing - it takes these wonderful hi Rez pics. But the message programs all cut everything down to such low Rez that it was barely recognizable. Kelly has an iPhone 4. For a test, we'd both message the same video of the grandkids to each other. Hers would go quickly, and come in crystal clear. Mine would take three minutes or more to send, and come in so grainy you couldn't recognize our own grandkids. Pics the same way. iPhone quick and clear. Galaxy slow and fuzzy or it would refuse to send it at all. We all have cameras. One of the points of using the phone camera, is to "send" what you just took.
Research on net had me reading that the two systems (iphone and Android) use different basic methods to send pics and video. And Android's system demands very small files. Fine if you like it, or want to "host" everything somewhere. Kelly and our family are used to the quick, easy, and crystal clear iPhone method. We've used it for 3-4 years. I figured it had to be at least standard or surpassed now by the new stuff. But I'd read threads of people complaining about the same stuff with their new Galaxy and the guys that love Android would tell them to JUST do about six awkward steps and expect less. I just went back to my familiar tool with better results, for my needs; since my trial was over and we were coming back up here. Turns out the Verizon store was a "Signature" store or some such term. NOT a regular company store, and I'd have to return this Galaxy phone to that exact store. Us in Md. - them in Fla. - too many problems and I'm out.

Thanks for the offer and previous info Greg. I AM interested in a tablet where I can draw on the touch screen with a fine point stylus. You have any experience with that Greg? I don't want the deal where you draw on a scratch pad on the desk and it appears on your computer monitor. I want to draw on the touch screen. But with a very fine point stylus for detail. I've seen the Jot Pro stylus for iPhone and tablets. But I wonder what is out there. I got locked into the scratch pad stuff and Google insisted on showing me that. The stuff I see where they were drawing on screens were just images. I couldn't get to sales pages with details and reviews.

Thanks much Greg.

Gary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2013 03:01AM by barnespneumatic.
September 06, 2013 09:18PM
Awesome! ANd from just running yer finger around the display.

I'll remind you Gary the art comes from within.... OVer the years, I seen pencil drawings, metal work, wood work, and all with an obvious Barnes bent to it.

So now you can create masterpeices standing in line at the Post Office!
August 12, 2013 02:44PM
Ok guys ... Really? 38 of you and not one comment about scratching your finger on the glass of an iphone and making a painting. stunned

I'm getting worried about you guys. I'm afraid you are "sleep reading". It's a growing epidemic. "Buzzza buzzz zzubbba zzubbba ... plane crash. Buzzzbaa zzubbba buzzzzz end of world this Friday". Zzubbba zzubbba bah baaaahhhh Barnes makes house from Kleenex box. Zzubbba Zub zzzzub Kim K buys new purse ... WHAT!!!! wow. boing

winking smiley
August 12, 2013 06:31PM
Sorry, but we're well out of my area of experience since I'm one of the remaining dinosaurs that still use a flip phone. It's not that the cell phone company isn't trying to bounce me to one, it's just that I've dug in my heels so far. Might chance though, then I might be asking YOU for advice on technology. surprised

Lets see...where's that "perish the thought" smiley?
August 12, 2013 09:41PM
Gary,

Based on the quality of that drawing, I don't know why you need any other technology. "festive" It is awesome to see someone take nothing (or minimal technology) and making something cool out of it. I am again impresed! wow

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10 that comes with a stylus. It is one of the few tablets that has a stylus these days. I have not tried any drawing programs, as that would be a waste of everyone's time and good senses. But, you might be able to make more magic with tools like that.

Scott
August 12, 2013 10:41PM
Well there ya go! A TOTALLY UNSOLICITED comment regarding my drawing! I'd like you to verify that I did NOT text you and offer a free hat, two tee shirts, and a large bag of caramel popped corn, for your comment! More coffee. Thanks Scott ...

There does, come a point ... having posted some item of unique origin, that I wonder if my posts are simply registering on the screen of the duty nurse out front. And, during her smoke breaks, or on weekends ... She does not log in as Rotorhead or Kurt, and make up a responce. It begins to feel confining in here ... And my .... ..... throat constricts ... and I.... can't .............. Aaaaaahhhhaaaaavvvvv ..... Breathe!!! excited

But then ... Someone hears the bell ... notices my elevated BP reading .... picks a random login name ... and posts a smilie!! whistling. And then rotates the background green screen to ... Summer Meadow.... wow THANK GOD!!!

Samsung Tablet ya say? Hummm. Thanks. I wonder if there is a cult following for "primitive digital art" such as the calloused finger tip on an antique iPhone 4. Hummmm.

Gary
August 12, 2013 10:41PM
Gary,

I will look into it, I think there will be a few options.

Greg
August 13, 2013 12:52AM
Hi Gary,

Nice painting and the other thing that you didn't mentioned is that your finger tip cover most of the screen, making it more difficult to sketch in such fine details.

Thanks for sharing your art.

julio
August 13, 2013 01:03AM
Yes Julio,

And the hair from my knuckles covers the rest of the screen!

laughing

Haha.

Good to hear from you, my friend,

Gary
August 13, 2013 01:30AM
Agree with Julio,

I could not do as good with a paint by numbers!

These devices can do some cool things, I can not do them but my kids show me what they can do......

Greg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021