Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Let's see if you are a better Airgunsmith ...

Let's see if you are a better Airgunsmith ...
July 17, 2014 06:20PM
I had the action inlet into stock beautifully.

Approaching the point where I could photograph and show you.

Then ....

Ah .... Nutz .... why me

Don't worry - nothing ruined. BUT ... A major oversight. Can you find it from the information I just gave you?

Gary
July 17, 2014 07:33PM
Aw nuts You forgot to drill bolt hole for attaching barrel and action to said stock and no counter sunk NUT HOLE? Or maybe ( over sight) no scope grooves on barrel ???
{:~)><(~:}
July 17, 2014 08:56PM
Thanks Kurt!

I'll have to do those .... whistling

Hahaaaahh. No. Got that covered.

Ok - good .... It's not THAT obvious. Anybody else??!

Gary
July 17, 2014 10:46PM
Well - I corrected the issue I found. Took some backtracking on the stock. I've moved on and progressed well.

AND .... After having Kelly look up the sander I needed online - and coming within a click of ordering it - I decided to make ONE more scrounge thru the shop. By the time I was filthy and soaked with sweat (lower shop has no A/C yet) ... I was about to text her to click the mouse when .... I "felt a disturbance in the force". I scanned all around. THERE! 1 1/2 percent of the thing showing on end!!! Yay!!!!!!! So happy to work!!!!!! Don't have to BUY another.

Working.

Gary
July 17, 2014 10:43PM
Hmm, you had the action fit beautifully... Did you miss the reservoir tube diameter?
Just a guess.

Pedro
July 17, 2014 10:53PM
Tell me more .....
July 18, 2014 03:14AM
I see you posted pics of the stock with action in a new post. Did you miss the hammer knob slot?
July 18, 2014 04:37AM
No - you were close. But I wanted to hear your reasoning.

I'll tell you tomorrow. In the event anyone else wants to play.

Gary
July 18, 2014 03:32PM
Can I play? Cocking knob/lever hole, maybe?
July 18, 2014 03:45PM
Thanks. No - it just wasn't time to accurately cut that yet, before the action was seated.

Best,
Gary
July 18, 2014 10:55PM
Hmmmm, trigger geometry off?
July 18, 2014 11:29PM
Hi Gary,

Following on Pedro's previous post, the one that mentions the channel for the reservoir's tube. I do believe that since this action is sitting deeper within the stock, you probably didn't left enough material to insert the air reservoir tube. Just a guess.

Best,

julio
July 19, 2014 04:20AM
Hi Guys,

Sorry - some things happened which took over the day. Not planned.

Past due time to reveal my oversight.

Drum Roll Please .... hourglass ..... self-hammer DING!!!

"The Gulf Coast Finish .... has mass". why me Duoooohhhh!!!!!

There I stood ... With the stock perfectly inlet ... the action just vacuum sucked itself into place ... the welding of the action components were dead straight ... the machining of the inlay recesses .... perfect .... the fit .... perfect!!!! I was saying to myself ... "Barnes ... you old fool .... once again .... you've made something worth far more then you've asked .... " When ... all of the sudden ..... knucklehead ..... That perfect fit isn't gonna be perfect once you have applied the Gulf Coast Finish!

And so ... I had to machine the entire void areas once again. That meant clamping up the stock in the milling machine vise ... exactly as I had before. Moving and aligning. Winding the head of the machine up to get the angles and bit clearance needed. And then ... cut it perfectly to the new diameter.

It seems to have worked. I shall see after I apply the finish. I do not now have a copy of the action, with finish applied, to measure. I am going on experience.

So; we had some close guesses. But - nobody followed through on the logic of "why?" The Gulf Coast Finish adds thickness. And ... I had even taken this into account when I made the barrel clamp and considered the slide breech area. I have plans for both. But .... that darned WOOD got me again. haha.

Well - it's all corrected now. Hey - another day ... another 0$ ... I just need more days!!!

GAry
July 19, 2014 04:40PM
Gary,

I've been watchig a lot of maching on YouTube lately. Setting up to work on a piece that has already been manufactured has been the subject of many of them. What I find interesting about repair work is the approach the machinist takes to a particular task as there can typically be more than one way to do most projects. I usually try to think about how I would approach the project and then see how an experienced machinist ends up doing it. Usually the methods are different and I learn something.

No doubt you recovered nicely.

Lon
July 19, 2014 04:55PM
Hi Lon,

After a while - maybe now - you will find that your mind presents solutions that use the tools it knows you have. Or maybe with some more minor modification.

The videos you refer too will be helpful - but will usually present a solution based on the tools that they have - and frequently ... you don't have.

Your solution will always teach you something.

Thanks for posting.
Gary
July 20, 2014 02:16AM
Gary,

It never crossed my mind about the coatings. I assumed bluing and I may have missed how you planned on coating the gun in your description of the build.

Looks like you sorted it out!

Pedro
July 20, 2014 03:28AM
Hi Pedro,

Haha. You were correct about the diameter being factored incorrectly - just not the reason for same. winking smiley
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 28
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021