Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: OUTRIDER 50 stock in Oil!

OUTRIDER 50 stock in Oil!
July 26, 2014 12:54AM
image.jpg

The stock has been all shaped and sanded. It's now soaking in its first coat of Stock Oil. Looking real nice too.

image.jpg

The inside of the clamshell buttstock cap.

The rifle is nearing completion. A few tweaks and I'll then do the Gulf Coast Finish.

thumbs up

Gary
July 26, 2014 01:14AM
That's a great looking piece Gary ! Are you as excited as WE are??
July 26, 2014 04:48AM
Hi Kurt,

I am! You bet. Can't wait to ship this one and continue on the other four. There are a bunch of parts for those already.

I know there are always interruptions. Wish I had that staff. I fantasize about all the completed projects I could make if I wasn't the entire team - save Kelly's valuable help.

This design has turned out to be all I hoped and more. I'm pleased with the way the stock has turned out. It's more work then it should be for this scale of gun. That has come up for over 40 years and it's because I just cannot make barely get by stuff. I'm my own worst profit margin loss.

I've set back five or six nice stock blanks. A few are nice Mahogany - a couple Walnut. I think they are comparable. I suspect everybody else would have an opinion. For this scale ... I have to be the judge on this part. Scott was the first one to step up to the project - so I'm glad to see that his stock has such a beautiful variety of color. Bastone Walnut, I suspect. I've been tossing around options. And, I'm leaning more towards the brown Gulf Coast tone for this Prototype of his.

As has been quite obvious, I've been at near wit's end with the stress. There is simply nothing I can do about it all. I absolutely NEVER put off anything. I will get up at 3am to go do something that needs to be done. Ya might say .... sure you do ... but I know I'm odd in that way. So; when there is some thing that depends upon others ... and they are dropping the ball .... I'm just crazy because I can't move it along. This darned house is just ruining everything. Half of the set up I just couldn't afford to do. That drags down each day. Heck ... I spent hours today tearing apart the darned sander that had been lost for a week. I needed to clean and lube it inside. It's a puzzle of rack and pinion - slide valves - and an air piston. It needs to be "timed". And ... every time I take it apart - it "explodes" before I can mark anything. Well - today I made sure I marked several things ... and then it still exploded into it's component parts. I reasoned through how it must work down in the unseen recesses. Looked at the wear patterns of the gears to see what much engage here or there. Put it back together. A few times. Then used it some. Took it apart again. Finally, finally got it timed to do the required sanding. There is simply always something like that that eats up what should be productive time. You know that Kurt. You run a big shop. Wastes my best time of the day. And, don't know if it's the cycle, the stress, the rain, or what ... but I've just felt like I've been beat up ALL day and ALL evening lately. I don't mean tired. Don't mean - oh, my leg hurts .... I mean the deep down pain - pretty darned close to agony - that I haven't dealt with in years. Now ... why? Any human is going to ask ... why? I have all these obligations. I have the tools. I have the plans. I have the desire to work. I'll work thru the pain, and do. But - it just drags down the day, and keeps me from being able to enjoy the decades of work I've put into my craft.

But then, I'm quite sure everybody is sick to death of reading about all that. And I know that. But - it's still real - and the miserable house is still there - and It will be there when I wake up in a few hours. So; it is what it is.

You know ... I have a strong desire to make a few working man's farm clasp knives. Just strong and hearty. Brass and carbon tool steel and maybe wood or bone. I'd love to make another couple of Expedition Cases. I have ideas. Want to make the loft area down at the big shop - to get stuff off the main floor - so I can set up work space. I still have to build everything on my knee - cause the buildings are in disarray 'cause I had to start dialing for dollars before I was set up for it. I'd love to get my bluing shop set up. I even have several other guns I started years and years ago - some for a show - some for a proof of concept. I'll have to keep a string of things coming up for sale until I sell the house, or just go down in flames. I know that everybody thinks that any business is just always hyping some crisis to get you to buy stuff. You guys have been reading my sites since 96. Have I been doing that? Were there years after years where there was NEVER anything shown as available up here on the sites? Answer is yes. The normal for 16 years has been that there's never stuff complete and available. So; this period of time "IS" something odd ... special. If people just sit and watch ... then it WILL be a real problem for me. I make about 5% of my normal customer's salary. And that's a high estimate. So; if you see something you like - I'll appreciate the support. This sure wasn't the way I planned to move and simplify my life. hahaha. I know that many people have stopped reading. Waiting for me to start spitting out finished airguns right and left. There's a ways to go to get there. I didn't ruin the economy all by myself. Let's keep me in bug spray and keep the A/C on. thumbs up I'll be posting some more stuff from my boxes of stuff.

Kurt ... proof again that there is no simple question. hahah. Sorry. I hope you are handling the extra pressure on you too. Strength during the day, and Peace of Mind at Night.

God Bless,
Gary
July 26, 2014 12:08PM
The stock is looking sexy! sunny I like the shine on the wood. And it will look even better with the action in place. "festive"

Scott
July 26, 2014 02:54PM
NICE excited
July 26, 2014 05:04PM
The stock does look nice but that trailer tire is pretty special too!More coffee
July 26, 2014 07:11PM
Hi Jerry,

Yeah - I'm going to put a tube in it when I get a chance!

That's a trophy. It's going on the wall.

Gary
July 26, 2014 07:11PM
Looking great Gary!
Hoping you can get the pain under control, and that pain of a house sold!
Regards
Neil
July 26, 2014 07:24PM
Thank you Neil,

Much appreciated. Me too. (I wrote two more paragraphs and decided that -"me too" covers it.)

Thanks for reading Neil. Best to family. God Bless
Gary
July 26, 2014 10:50PM
Final Coat of oil now drying ....

Gary
July 26, 2014 11:55PM
Already looks great - can't wait to see it after final oiling...and with the action in it !!
July 27, 2014 02:12AM
image.jpg

Saturday Night - BPS

winking smiley
July 27, 2014 12:42PM
She looks so lonely in that picture. I bet she is looking for some action....

Scott
July 27, 2014 02:46PM
Hahaha. I got a good laugh out of that one Scott. Hehe.

If all goes well .... yeah .... ha winking smiley ...... Ill get the Gulf Coast applied today. Yay!!!! Stayed home from our Son's today to get some more shop hours.

Hey - keep a bud in mind. He's a Navy Vet living in Asia. I hear from Larry a good bit, but the Typhon about two weeks ago really mixed it up over there. I did get a relayed message that he's ok - but all communications are down. Real nice fellow. Remember him.

Gary
July 27, 2014 02:23PM
That's a good one Scott ! Really like the pic thru the window too and that Barnes knife sign is pretty cool too ! A lot history / stories behind that sign I bet .
Anonymous User
July 27, 2014 05:40PM
We are all awaiting the final product. The 50 caliber is very popular and accurate and powerful.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021