Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Homemade Night Vision - Continued

Homemade Night Vision - Continued - Added Content
November 08, 2014 03:37AM
So I have been trying things I saw on the internet. I found out that you can take a digital camera or camcorder and remove what is called the IR (infrared) filter. This is tricky as some are glued in, and other are built into the lens. Most have the filter right on the computer chip that sees the image.

I had 2 old digital cameras and thought to try it. One worked for a bit and the other had issues to begin with. I then scored a camcorder for $10, cheap import. Took it apart, removed the filter and assembled. It actually worked.

What happens - the digital camera sees a wider spectrum of light than the human eye. The IR filter blocks the light we do not see for the camera to reduce over exposure. By removing the IR filter it allows the full spectrum of light. Great care needs to be used removing the IR filter and then assembling the camera and hoping it works again.! IR flashlights produce a wavelength of light that humans cannot see and will light up an area and our eyes cannot see it.

Image shows with no IR filter, lets in a lot of light.
NV1s.jpg

With this creation a dark area, room, is pitch black. This requires an IR flashlight. You can buy them and also DIY quicky. Not as good but save money. It involves film negatives and a light source. This illuminates the area you want the camera to see. I need to either buy a good one, $74 to $300 or make a highpower with a IR pass filter. Not sure how yet.

A room dark, camera on, not flashlight.
NV2s.jpg

Same area with flashlight on.
NV3a.jpg

Another area dark.
NV4s.jpg

With flashlight.
NV5s.jpg

I need to add more filters for the flashlight, it still lets through a lot of visible light. I will post more on this as I figure things out and mount to a scope! This would allow for night hunting of rats, pets!

Thanks for reading!

Pedro

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2014 12:53AM by pedrog.
November 08, 2014 03:48AM
Thanks for posting Pedro!

I'm being dense. Sorry. What are we building? You harvest the IR filter I'm
Order to use it? Or you want the camera functional without a working filter? Sorry - I'm nearly 60 - I need more instruction. Can we build this from billet?

Hehe.

Gary
November 08, 2014 04:02AM
I will add more detail to first topic post. Sorry about that.

Pedro
November 08, 2014 04:12AM
No - Duh ... it's me. I somehow didn't even read the title! I must be more tired then I thought. Sorry.

Good luck. Gee - don't surpass the real stuff ... hahah.

Gary
November 08, 2014 04:09AM
Actually, with real NVGs they sort of DO build them from billets...of glass. The microchannel plate that's the heart of gen two (and up) image intensifiers is basically a slice cut from a big bundle of glass tubes that have been melted together into a billet. There's a few extra steps along the way, but the technique is basically a variation of the "millefiori" style of decorative glass.
November 08, 2014 04:14AM
Got it ... I'll hammer out a billet of millefiori, and get back to ya ......
November 08, 2014 04:18AM
Seriously! I got a chance to see the ITT production line in Phoenix, and right smack dab in the middle of the place was a glass-pulling rig that would have been perfectly understandable to a glassblower from 1700s Venice. Minus the computerized tension control and laser measurements perhaps, but same basic idea. Stack bundles, heat, twist and pull.
November 08, 2014 05:39AM
Night rat hunting sounds like the way to go Pedro, hope you can get it sorted out OK.
Regards
Neil
November 09, 2014 12:53AM
Here are some more details as to what I did with this conversion along with pics!

First you have to find the IR filter and removing it from the camcorder or camera.

This is the CMOS chip that receives the image.

cmos_4706.jpg

I almost damaged the chip, and found the filter was on the lens. Take great care in this! The small round lens circle is the IR filter.

IR_4707.jpg

Next have to get an IR flashlight, something that will illuminate in the dark. I used old unused film negative areas, taped two halves together.

IR_Filters_4708.jpg

This is a small Maglite with 10 filters. I light red glow.

Flash1_4714.jpg

With my other Maglite, I placed 5 filters, but need to add more. To bright, lights up areas to much for camera.

Flash2_4714.jpg

Next step is to make a powerful IR Flashlight. Found a 50 watt, 12 volt halogen bulb today at a store. Saw video on youtube, the guy light up his entire yard with it. Filters will be an issue. Will have to order some quality filters. After that, the next step, is to build a mount for camera to airgun rifle and a battery pack for all the gadgets and try it out.
November 09, 2014 08:57PM
Clever...McGuiver would be proud. winking smiley
November 11, 2014 04:31AM
I appreciate the post, and am interested. I just don't have experience patching camera parts together. Not sure where you are going. How do you make the camera recognize infrared light? Guess more to the point, what converts infrared to visible light?

Last question. I guess rats do not freeze in blinding white light - right? My night/rat interaction has been, thankfully, limited. winking smiley

Gary
November 12, 2014 01:40AM
Gary,

To explain the infrared. Digital cameras and camcorders can see the full spectrum of light, even infrared. Due to this the manufacturer places a infrared filter to block infrared coming in but allows the visible light to pass. By removing the in filter it allows the camera to see infrared. Now you need to shine infrared light on the subject.

To illuminate a subject I made a flashlight using 35mm film negatives. This works as it blocks visual light but allows infrared light to pass. When shined on the subject you can hardly see it but the camera picks up the IR light and displays it!

I got stuck with being able to shine a light any distance. So far the only way I have found would be to buy an IR flashlight or laser illuminator. But they are pricey, $200 plus. I found a plastic that blocks all visible light but lets infrared pass. Called IR pass filters.

Does this make sense ? Or do I need to improve my explanation?

Pedro
Re: Homemade Night Vision - Continued - Added Content
November 11, 2014 02:24PM
I hear ya Pedro looks like fun but a little over my head . I've seen some NV scopes here in Michigan used for $400-$500 reg over a grand . Couple guys I know do lotta raccoon hunting at night that use spotlights . Seems like the hard part would be condensing is to a small enough package to be manageable . Good luck .
November 11, 2014 04:04PM
Neat! I love "hacks", as in taking old stuff that doesn't work and harvesting parts to make projects.

Great post.wow

Lon
November 12, 2014 02:20AM
I hope this picture helps some. Night vision works on over 808nm (nanometers) light wave length. Most tv removes are over 900 so we cannot see the light.

image.jpg

It is rather interesting stuff. I did a lot of reading on the Internet. Some smart "kids" out there!

Pedro
November 12, 2014 04:45AM
The real interesting thing is that our eyes sensitivity to visible light almost exactly matches the spectral curve of sunlight as seen through our atmosphere, which means that both phenomena are described by the same curve, as seen in your illustration. Which also explains why green lasers seem so much brighter than red lasers, even though they may be the same power rating.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 28
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021