Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Sunday Afternoon

Sunday Afternoon
August 17, 2015 12:18AM
Lovely trip home from our Son's house.

Secondary road from beach to Interstate. I follow some guy in a Silver Hyundai with Fl plates. Weaving from side to side for at least ten miles. I get so tired of texters. I feel like their mother. What should I do? Is he gonna kill himself. Others? If I call it in, I'll end up in prison for life. When the road turned dual lane, passed another big intersection, I just merged left and went down the road. Right into the speed trap. Sure - the dual lane which is straight as an arrow thru barren country is .... Wait for it .... 45 mph. So; the very stiff State Trooper said something like never seeing such scum, and gave me a $280 ticket.

1/4 mile later, on the Interstate, the low tire pressure tire light comes on. Driver's left always looks low to me. When I check it, it's not. I figure maybe it is now. I drive up the road cause there's NO EXITS between Crestview and home. Pulling off my exit, I feel it pulling right. I pull into the first Gas Station - drive around to the air machine. $1.25. I look at the tire. Flat, and worn on the side. Ruined. Great.

The van has some odd system where a big ole crank has to reach thru the console (after you tear that apart), and you lower the tire under the middle of the car. Sweet. I'll pass. I decide to put air in it, drive 5 miles home, bring the wheel I in the morning. I start putting air in. At 35 pounds I think I hear something. Then the world disappears and I go deaf. The tire blew up in my face.

Nah ... It was nothing. Just a flesh wound. I SAID JUST a flesh ...

So; after the tow truck guy changed the tire, we drove home. I was shocked to NOT hit a deer or witness a Sasquatch crossing the road ahead.

I'm not sure what I will do with the rest of the day. I have a Coupon for 50% off Bungee Jumping off the Bridge at Dead Man's Gourge. I wonder when they close on Sunday's .....
August 17, 2015 10:05AM
Deep dark depression ..... Excessive misery . Whoooa!!'
Man that's alot of cookies . You MUSTA been doing like 300 mph or close to it . Up here in Michigan , seat belts fine really hurt too $100 I think for first offence and they graduate after that . At least they are non moving violation ( no points).
You are going to hafta work OT to pay that fine .
Sorry bout your luck with tire too . There is a good excuse in there mixing the 2 together .
But ... Then you probably get a faulty unsafe equipment ticket too.
Later

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2015 10:08AM by kurt wag.
August 17, 2015 09:52PM
Hey Kurt. Thks. You notice the other 31 people don't care that I have Good Year printed on my forehead? Boy ... Cold room .... Burrrrrrrr ....

Yes, near as anyone can tell, I set the land speed record for a minivan. 312.7 mph.

Yeah, nice wide dual lane road. 1/4 mile from the interstate. You lower the speed limit to an absurd number. Hide out there. You can clean up off of old men, with clean driving records, driving minivans home from Church. You act horrified at such lawlessness. The Felons, you let them go due to overcrowding. Piece of cake. We Need You!

Drive safe Kurt!
August 17, 2015 10:13PM
Gary, Gary, Gary,
Didn't anybody tell you that you just moved to Florida. Ever hear of Waldo, no NOT that one (he's been found) - the one that is the city in Florida and is on that stretch of road (can't recall the number right now) south off of Highway 10 heading for Ocala. One of the dangest stretches of speed traps in the whole universe. That city and a couple of others along that route are famous for that, and it is no fun to find out that you have been caught in their city money makers.

That sux bad enough without the forehead tatoo. You could have at least chosen one of those cool World War II tats like all of the sailors used to get. I mean, what were you thinking!!! You are fortunate/blessed that you weren't badly injured. I have no clue what might have happened, but obviously something let go. Glad you weren't severly injured!

Well, truth be told I have had a few weeks like that lately myself. Been trying to write about it but keep loosing posts. Bottom line is a plumbing leak in my 14 inch slab foundation... and ready for it... it came out right under my gun safe! Yep, water, water everywhere and no room to work at it in that room. EVERYTHING had to be moved and fixed. Tons of work, literally, and not done yet... and then, ready for it... the HVAC system goes completely out. I'm just going to have to go to the bank and total it all up for them. They will either loan it or not, and I will either fix it or not. Heck, summer is almost over anyway. I can feel the cool coming on... Wait... then it gets cold. Er!

Yeah, buddy, hang in there. My Dad used to say "Smile, things could be worse. So I did, and they WERE!"

Moving on before I lose this post too.

Later,
Jeff
August 18, 2015 09:34AM
Jeff
Wow that's a buncha crap to all have happen at once . A lot of the sand under the foundation probably washed away to or did it just leak up ? Well like your pa said , it could be worse . It could have been sewage line leak !
Good luck with all that and hope you get it all ironed out soon .

Thanks
Kurt
August 18, 2015 01:51PM
Hey Kurt,
Thanks much. Unfortunately the water lines and vents run in the concrete. When the line broke it came into the vents, not sure how just yet as they are still being worked on, and basically leaked up. It is taking forever as the house is on a 14 inch slab, but the plan it to run new lines through the old ones. That should be done this week. I am still shopping for completed HVAC work and equipment. One thing at a time. My Mom's advice was once to tell me to never ask the Lord for patience as he would send you pestilence to test your patience. Thank goodness I never did! You know, it's all part of life and no one ever said it would be easy!
Thanks again,
Jeff
August 18, 2015 03:46PM
Hi Jeff. Or should I say .... brother!!

You have the silver van or the green sedan? House with the plants in pots out front or no shrubs? Isn't the internet wonderful? Kelly looked up your address. Wait .... It's the one with the dark roof. She saw your camper. That's just typing it into Google search bar. Good Lord!!!!! Close all the windows Kelly!!!!!!!

Jeff, that sounds like a major opportunity to hone problem solving skills. You lucky dog ....

Guess you have explored the homeowners ins. Route? Sounds appropriate. In 35 years, I used mine once. Then they threw me out cause they didn't want older homes anymore. They like getting checks. You know, "it's better to receive, then to pay out". The Reversed Standard Version.

Don't let them short you. Couple things come to mind to worry you. Did your slab crack and shift. If you run a new pipe inside the old, will it move and shear that one? Then make sure you have flow rate to spare. You don't want a shower that dribbles along.

It's a real bummer Jeff. Very sorry for your opportunity to shine. Just remember, one day you look back on all of this, as I do. You will .... Involuntarily shudder. Slosh your cuppa tea with your shaking hand. Tea will run down your chin and drip onto your shirt. You will look around to see who saw you. And some fool will no doubt tell you ... "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger".

Glad we could have this talk Jeff. My new book will be out Sept. 10th. It's available for pre-order at Amazon ... Entitled: "Grab Glory Daily". thumbs up
August 19, 2015 12:42PM
Gary,
LOL, all of the above! I thought that stuff was running down my mouth and onto my shirt due to my age - teehee. At least it isn't happening while sitting in a wheel chair and bobbing my head. NOPE, I'm not ready for that yet!

Wow, that Google search thing is tough. The last time I looked it was not up to date, I did have a dark roof but had it power washed so now it is kind of silver/white, but I do not have plants in front, but do have plants in pots (but they are usually under the porch roof), once had a wife with a silver SUV (and now both are gone), but do not have a green sedan (although I have a friend who visits and has one), used to have the camping trailer sitting in the driveway in the front, but now it is in the back yard of my next door neighbor (where I rent a space as she has way more room she doesn't use). There is a utility shed in the back that runs north to south, if that helps. It is so bizzare that we can confused get to know each other that way smiling smiley

Oh, and about those problems solving skills... I'm not as good at that as you are, especially house related. Guess I'll just have to find a shrink. I can do a ton of things, but construction work and HVAC work are not amoung them. Er! I can lift and carry and have been doing a good deal of that lately!

Home owners may pick up a bit of it, but as you know they are fighting it as they think it is/was a 'maintainence" issue. Yep, I'm sure it is (in their eyes) what with 64 year old pipes and vents and all! Yep, who would build a house this way??? I am on track with the suggestions and have a plumber and contractor I trust (both local firefighters I have known for years). Scheduling time for it all is one of the toughtest things, and living amongst it is another. This too shall pass!

I'm sure there is a a chapter in you book about all of your friend's glory too. I can't wait to read mine - teehee!

Thanks for the kind thoughts!
Later,
Jeff
Sal
August 20, 2015 02:12AM
I tried to post but got a message, something about this thread having the maximum about of hilarity already posted.....
August 20, 2015 02:27AM
Well, I thought I had a crappy week. Guess not, I had people waiting on me hand and foot and got drugs out of the deal too! Luck changes, hope it turns good for you soon Gary!
August 20, 2015 09:30AM
Bummer for you Jerry
Sorry to hear but the hard part is when the bill comes in . Hospital drugs = $$$$.
Hope all is well.

Thanks
Kurt
August 20, 2015 11:04AM
Jerry, for sure what Kurt said! Mine only hurts in the mind.
Hang in there!
Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021