Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: How's everybody?

How's everybody?
November 28, 2015 10:24PM
You enjoying turkey sammiches? Yumm.

I'm getting ready to cast that 50 mold so I can do some shooting Monday.

Then wrap up Sal's 25. Lots to do.

Hope you are all good.

Gary
November 28, 2015 11:11PM
Hi Gary,
Here's some wood I'm working on. Cleaning and sealing with tung oil/orange oil 50/50 mix for the first coat.

TOp.jpg
Side.jpg

Five more coats to go, being gentle on the hardware patina.

More to follow with hints for those who may not have seen its past use.

Kent
November 29, 2015 05:03AM
Looks great!

That's a nice looking piece of woodworking there too. Gonna look Sweet!

Gary
November 29, 2015 10:20AM
Nice work Kent,
I think I know what goes in that...
Jeff
November 29, 2015 07:33PM
Kent
That box looks much better than when I saw it last . Is there a reason you mix orange & tung oil? I love my lemon oil but after your post I read the cans I have and tong says high sheen and lemon says helps clean too . I'm not a wood guy much but do appreciate the beauty in natural wood .
I really loved your kayak project too BTW !

Thanks
Kurt
December 08, 2015 08:12PM
I think I remember that one from the old forum/website. The copper fittings are the giveaway.
November 29, 2015 01:12AM
Was thinking of doing this but can't get off the chair

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2016 08:25PM by watchman.
November 29, 2015 02:22AM
Hey that looks like fun, But if I built one here in the Philippines it would have ducks in it by morning and they carry the eggs of some strange aquatics things in their wet feathers so a few weeks later I would have an expermental science project and wading pool.

I was born in West Virginia so I get the ice but do not miss it or the snow.

Gary, you missing that snow blower?

Great job on the rink it is really nice.

Larry
November 29, 2015 05:07AM
Hi Larry,

Yeah, I could have converted the snow blower into my stump grinder or band saw mill. I miss it real good!

thumbs up

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2015 05:08AM by barnespneumatic.
November 29, 2015 10:19AM
That is a way cool home project (no pun intended!). Enjoy the time with your son!
Jeff
November 29, 2015 07:49PM
Steve
Come on one more year for the ice rink . It will definitely freeze for all to enjoy . I do understand your " get out the chair " comment though . I have lived on a river here and always had a U shaped trail down and back . This year my favorite saw wouldn't start and we had a heckof a blow come thru uprooting at least 50 trees in the woods out back and the trail is covered . They are big and small trees and I run the tractor blade down the trail all winter to keep snow down for the dog walks and easy adult walking . I'm not sure if I'll get it done this year . But .... This morning I walked over and under to survey the trail and found this fungus covered tree on the ground . It was a frosty 19 degrees and these are the things I enjoy about the woods . It was great the way the sun lit up the frosty crystals . The larger fungus are about 1-0" across !
We'll see

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2015 07:58PM by kurt wag.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
November 29, 2015 08:52PM
Dude! "There's a Fungus Among Us!!"

It is interesting, isn't it. We get them down here too. Sometimes with brilliant colors.

50 trees huh? I just moved two the other day, that I had cut previously. 50 huh? That's 48 more. Whoooh. I think you need to make a sign for the driveway .... "Firewood (Cut 'yer Own)".

Gary
November 29, 2015 03:35AM
Thanks Larry. That pic is from a couple years ago. I did it last year but i'm running out of steam. The pile of wood is sitting in the back yard waiting for me to haul it up. Of course, the kids are nowhere to be found when it's assembly time. Think it's about 4 years straight i've had it and it's become a local landmark. I almost feel obligated just to keep the tradition. My water bill is big after i fill that thing. I was thinking i could do aquaponics in the good weather or maybe raise fishsmiling smiley
November 29, 2015 05:16AM
Well Steve, YOU have hit the MOTHER LODE. What Larry doesn't know about Aquaponics doesn't exist.

I know how those local tradition things work. For many years we hosted a big block party. We enjoyed it. We did get invited to two Hallowean parties and one block party nearby. Oh, and one birthday party. So; not bad I guess - Kelly and I have 26 years on the clock. I was there 35 years. Or was it 135? No matter. But, guess you better do it again. Take pictures. They will be more happy later and the effort won't be remembered much.

Gary
November 29, 2015 04:17AM
Hi Kent,

The case is looking like new again. It's good to see you taking good care of it. Please show it to us when it's finished. It would be nice to see it open and with something inside.

Gary, I'm staying at the farm with my wife, we are getting the house and the surrounding area ready for a,Christmas family reunion. Lot of work and not much time to spare.

We are having an excellent weekend and I hope that everyone is doing as well.

julio
November 29, 2015 05:20AM
That is great Julio!

Things like that are a huge effort. You will mostly sleepwalk thru the Reunion, so take lots of pics. Have others do it too. You will spend most of the time with Host duties. It will be a great memory after your pictures and your Wife remind you of how it went!

Weights.

Gary
November 29, 2015 10:22AM
Happy Holidays Julio,
Jeff
November 29, 2015 01:35PM
Thanks Kent,

I think I know what I still hope is inside!
November 29, 2015 01:40PM
Gary,

Today I'm just sitting back and relaxing today after the trip back from Clearwater for Thanksgiving. However, I guess I need to get the lights up for Christmas... sad smiley
November 29, 2015 02:43PM
image.jpeg

We have the tree up. It's becoming a tradition for the boys to stay after Thanksgiving and help with the tree.

image.jpeg

We got in a BB Gun session. The Boys are learning. We are not likely to have any varmint cardboard boxes sneak up on us again soon!

Pop
November 29, 2015 03:38PM
Hey Karl,

Don't you hate those folks who have it all together, and have the full 750,000 light display, out on the lawn, Thanksgiving afternoon! Haha

See, it's much better to think it all thru, for a month or two. Haha.

Gary
November 30, 2015 01:15AM
Gary, yeah, that's definitely not me. I wish I was that organized. Maybe with another couple of months planning, maybe. Still, the kids would miss the lights. So I've got to get them out.

Lovely tree, by the way.

Karl
December 05, 2015 06:58PM
Well, the rink is just about done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2016 08:24PM by watchman.
December 05, 2015 07:08PM
Yowza
Looks like ONLY left hand turns with that load . I saw someone else do that with a tractor just recently . Glad you got it up . They just started making snow on the ski hill up here by me . Apple mountain is the local spot where all the fun is here . It's fun to watch at night from the parking lot of course . A lot of snowboarding going on .

Thanks
Kurt
December 05, 2015 07:39PM
Hey Steve!

Good Job. Pay no attention to the garden tractors - they're always complaining- makes 'em soft.

Golly Steve.... Is that REAL WOOD? Looks like rough sawn oak. No wonder the tractor's a lefty!

Know the kids will love it. What a Christmas Dude ya are!!!

Gary(ish)
December 09, 2015 05:17AM
I think it was rough sawed something or other. Can't remember what the guy called it but it was cheap and i use it for filler on the bottom of the frame so the plastic doesn't creep out. Don't think it's oak though. Surprised no one caught the tire in the air when i got off the mower. The cart wasn't balanced well and lifted the mower. Was tough to get traction.
December 09, 2015 05:27AM
Hi Steve,

We saw it. That's where Kurt and I agreed it was a "left turns only" tractor. We both have tractors and, unfortunately have felt the dread rear wheel lift!!!

Hope the Neighborhood enjoys it. Make them buy a watch for entry!!!

thumbs up

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021