Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Completed Kydex SUPER SHEATH!! Weights

Completed Kydex SUPER SHEATH!! Weights
June 16, 2016 07:12PM
Any proper sheath will, in my opinion, be "Swivel Mointed." This prevents the sheath from jacking up and punching you in the ribs when you sit in the truck, in a blind, on a log, chair. You need to be able to just hinge the sheath away from an obstruction.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've made my sheathes so they easily accept even a wider belt.

The interior machine screw head is recessed by use of a special set of dies which thermoform the Kydex into a precise divot inside the sheath. This contains the machine screw head, and thus protects the knife handle from rubbing and scratching.

image.jpeg

The Kydex is joined, after thermoforming, with solid Brass Tube Rivets. They have a black finish on them. In ordering the tool set to roll and crimp the back, we ordered for the next size up. So; schedule required me to make a scale set for this size rivet.

image.jpeg

The larger set are the tool steel set from the supplier. The smaller set are mine, in hardened tool steel. They work beautifully.

image.jpeg

Thermoforming the material around the actual knife, means the contours of the handle are copied. Where the material forms in behind a curve, it creates a molded contour to "Retain" the knife in the sheath. This avoids the need for any strap, snap, or other retainer. The knife slides in .... resists a bit as the sheath swells/flexes, and then "snap", it seats the matching contours and the knife is secure. You can swing from the trees like Tarzan and it's safe.

The Kydex is tough, abrasion resistant, flexible, and retains these characteristics. I have Kydex material and objects that I made 35 years ago that are just as flexible and have retained their shape perfectly.

I really appreciate the characteristics of the material. As with most things, they are Rocket Science when developed - and then as they become familiar, there is the temptation to distain. Don't do that. If you put out a request for development of the perfect knife sheath material, the X-Prize Winner would be Kydex.

If you'd rather have a Wet Molded Boot Leather, hand Stitched, Tooled Sheath with a $3 sidewalk shine .... Well I'd love to have a 1957 Porsche 356A - Deep Black Cherry with a White Interior.

Thanks for Reading!
Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2016 12:50PM by barnespneumatic.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
June 16, 2016 07:54PM
Wow Gary nice knife and sheath combo. I like it and it seems very practical.
June 17, 2016 03:02AM
Hi Gary,

I had never heard of Kydex until your posts. That looks like really cool material! I like the swivel mount, definately keep from getting jabbed in the ribs!

Sheath will last for years!

Pedro
June 19, 2016 01:10PM
Gary

I've never heard of kydex either . I have seen it around but never knew what it was . It looks very industrial and durable and military . When you thermo form it does it go from flexible to rigid or does it stay the same ? Very cool product . Thanks

Thanks
Kurt
June 19, 2016 06:01PM
Hi Kurt,

The material is as tough as the kick plate on your truck door. Or, the rub rail on the outside fender. Or the tail gate protector atop your pickup's tailgate. Probably the same stuff.

It's heated to 350F. The knife is protected and used as the model. The hot material is molded around the knife. When it cools, it retains the shape. Amazing stuff.

Can't tell you any more. "Kydex Society Rules". Probably already said too much.

It's great unless you'd like something that stains, gets moldy, cracks, and rots. Then I can provide you with a traditional leather sheath that takes two days to make. And, if your knife is Barnes Sharp, you can put it right thru the face of the sheath if you are rattled. No problem. take a bowgary
June 19, 2016 01:57PM
Sweet Sheath Gary,
I have been using Kydex for years for knife sheaths and gun holsters. I have several that were custom made by some of the early pioneers (many, many years ago) who now are some of the biggest names in Holsters. Bill Rogers, the famous firearms instructor down in Jacksonville, basically invented the factory production of Kydex Holsters and still has his original (mammoth size) production molds he built, that became, if I remember correctly, the Safariland brand. He is still putting out his own designs too. Good stuff, and really slick out of the holster on the draw. I use it regularly and you made a fine example!
Thanks for sharing,
Jeff
June 19, 2016 06:04PM
Thanks Jeff,

Glad to hear it's been serviceable for you. Good to hear "field comments".

Gary
June 20, 2016 06:18PM
Nice piece of work there Garythumbs up

I've got the usual drawer full of holsters that I've accumulated over the years, and I do have to say that the kydex ones have definitely held up better over time than the traditional leather ones. It's especially noticeable in applications where they are exposed to moisture, either from the weather or sweat. The leather just falls apart or rots eventually, but the kydex apparently never will.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021