Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Airgun Build - Started

Airgun Build - Started
June 21, 2016 03:55AM
Hello,

Finally got around to starting my next airgun. Received the 308 barrel about two weeks back. Now starts the task of building all the parts many of which are going to be designed as I go.

image.jpeg

Working on barrel mounts to main tube. Hammer, spring and next the cocking breech. Got to use my bandsaw to cut the aluminum after lathing. Very nice to have!

Thanks for reading,

Pedro
June 21, 2016 10:17AM
Pedro
I'm happy for your new build . Is this the first complete build your doing from your new home shop ? It's not so bad when you can walk thru a couple doors and be working from home especially when your have a full time job . I find it harder and harder to even cut the grass after a 10 hour day .
Thanks for sharing and good luck

Thanks
Kurt
June 22, 2016 03:47AM
Hi Kurt,

This is my first real project here at my garage shop. It is nice to have things so close but costly as well. Still wouldn't mind a larger lathe and mill. Least I can use the one at work fir larger parts.

I hired a young man to trim my hedges. He wants to get into the yard maintenance business and I wanted more time for other things. I could work endless overtime but need to keep my sanity as well!

Pedro
June 21, 2016 02:21PM
Pedro,

Looks like you've got some chips to break! Machining time is always fun when your making your own parts, excited to see the progress..... Also glad to here you got to use the band saw , as Kurt mentioned it is nice to be able to work on things at home! Finding time can be difficult tho.....I'm sure it will be a tack driver with the Barnes .308 barrel! Good luck with the build!

Matt
June 22, 2016 03:50AM
Hey Matt,

Bandsaw is so handy! I cut a piece of 1" shafts tonight, faced in the lathe, rather surprised how straight it had cut.

Finding time will be hard, two, three hours here and there. Lots of other things need my focus as well so need to organize and prioritize.

You building anything currently?

Pedro
June 22, 2016 03:03PM
Hey Pedro,

That's nice the band saw cuts fairly straight, we've received pre cut stock that was I kid you not almost a half inch out from a flat face, lol big pieces tho... You did a nice job refurbishing it! I've got a couple projects on hand at the moment... Working on a pair of Newley designed bolt actions... Finishing up the bolt housings.. Then I've almost got a prototype semi auto finished, it's somewhat of a simple design I came up with.. Has a spring loaded twist lock, that is piston driven to unlock 3 lock points on the bolt with no rear exit, it cycles great and locks up every time. Still have to get a barrel and incorporate the gas tube into the end of it, but it cycles well with regular compressed air. Still A ton of work to do with little time to find!
image.jpg
A little of topic I also made this fishing lure mold recently, has three deferent sizes 1/2 3/8 and 5/16 was all done on a Manuel mill with a 80s A.G.E 2 proto track programmer on it, was a fun build. Here's some pics.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
The hook brush guard is not put in the lure in the pic, but it's a basic bass jig works vary well here in Michigan! That's what I've been working on tho in my free time when I get it!!! thank you for asking.. I'm sure your air rifle will turn out nice keep us posted.

Matt
June 23, 2016 11:45PM
Matt
That's a couple a great side projects you have going on . The action looks tight and clean . I'm excited for you .

I've made a couple of sinker molds that I couldn't find anywhere for sale . As I'm sure you know in Michigan steelhead are big game fish and I love to fish the AuSable . I made this pencil lead mold with swivel barrel eyes . There's about 18 per pour at about .180 round and 2" long . If the current is week that day you can snip part off the sinker to get perfect drift . Plus they're soft lead and bend really easy to avoid snags . It was very fun to make and use. I'm sure you'll enjoy your jigs . Have you used any of your own yet ? There's a great company called stamina that you can buy parts for lure making from like hooks and skirts and paints and powder coat materials I've had good luck with there product .
Enjoy and thanks for sharing with us

Thanks
Kurt
June 22, 2016 05:55PM
Nice work, catching much on these lures?
June 24, 2016 05:33AM
Great projects guys.

Lon
June 24, 2016 01:23PM
Sean, Kurt, Lon,

Thanks guys I'm glad u like em... I've got a secret fishing lake I go to its in a nature preserve in the back of my subdivision... No one ever goes back there because it's about a 1/4 mile walk thru the woods with nice trails but lots of skeeters. there's a nice flat bottom boat put back there for the sub, I'm the only one who ever uses it... It's a rather shallow lake and you can't fish it from the docks so I get the feeling ppl don't think there's fish in there lol... Anyhow I've caught a lot of bass, 5 pounders! Also lots of northern pike pulled a 38 incher out of there last week! So they've been working out vary well!

Kurt, your mold sounds like it worked out good! It's nice when you can make something you can't find or buy! I've kayaked the AuSable never fished it tho, it's a awesome river!! The Huron is the one I usually go to only about 10 minutes from my place! Thanks for the info on the lure supply company i appreciate it.. will check em out!

Pedro, what size air tank you plan to use 13cc? I like the rear tank concept on the air force air guns... Can carry one or two extra out in the field!

Matt
June 24, 2016 02:04PM
Looks like some very good work Matt.

It's very satisfying to use your own production.

Sounds like you have found quite a fishing hole. Better take three busses, circle back, check reflections in store windows, and walk in a stream for 1/4 mile on the way there. Shake off the Spy who tries to follow you! woodsman Haha

Gary
June 26, 2016 02:34PM
Hey Matt,
That fishing hole sounds like paradise! I live in south Georgia and skeets ain't nuthin to us... but them d@mn knats (the F'n state bird!) sure are - cuss, cuss, cuss! They don't bite, but just drop acid on your skin. They are a MAJOR annoyance! Enjoy your private fishin hole and thanks for the nice post.
Later,
Jeff
June 27, 2016 11:26PM
the "no see 'ems" have been driving me nuts lately, they're so small you can't even tell they're there until they bite. For such a tiny insect they sure hurt, and it's weird how the pain usually seems to start a couple inches offset from their actual location. Probably some sort of bug ninja acupuncture trick, the little devilsangry smiley
June 28, 2016 06:04PM
Lol Rotorhead, and amen! I hate them little critters too.
Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021