image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Re: 97s We Have LOVED grinning smiley
June 22, 2016 12:20AM
Gary
What a beautiful collection . The larger models are great . Can you explain the pivot rivet ? It looks sorta like a spanner nut that you could loosen and tighten . Also it appears to have socket cap screws instead of custom rivets . Those are not something we see to often from your repertoire!
I might have to use a picture or two of those specimens for a new screen saver ! I often think about the walrus ( primative hunter ) carving I was lucky to get from you & how great it would look as an insert in a md 97 .

Thanks for sharing can't wait to see what's next boing

Thanks
Kurt
image.jpg
June 22, 2016 12:28PM
Hi Kurt,

Thanks for the pic! Looks Great!! I was searching thru over 5,000 pics on my phone and didn't run across yours yet.

Glad you like the pics too. Let me know if you want any High Rez pics.

Gary
June 22, 2016 01:28PM
Hi Kurt,

The 97s all have a front hollow shaft that's inset into the sides of the knife. This gives a super solid pivot with a large bearing surface. The Spanner Nuts are machined - and then inlet into the sides of the knife, to hold the tension rod that goes through the pivot shaft.

Yes. The Fossil Walrus Teeth would make beautiful inlays.

Gary
June 22, 2016 02:47AM
Hey Gary,

After a while saying, great, lovely, true art, and what a Master Craftsman you are does not say enough. That simple line of photos is not just some work you did as we all know. But I am out of words.

But those are great, lovely, true art, and this will have to do till I get better words.

I looked at them for many minutes.

Thanks for that.

Larry
June 22, 2016 01:14PM
Thank you Larry,

That's kind of you. Much appreciated.

Yeah, I've looked at pics like this .....

image.jpeg

And thought ...... GOOD GRIEF!!! Did I MAKE all of those?????!!!

Found a couple more 97s when looking for that gun group pic.

Gary
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
June 22, 2016 11:17AM
Gary

It's amazing the variety of styles within a single model type. Like Larry said, words cannot do justice to the artistry displayed. I am really looking forward to the rest of the rest of the pics you find. I remember a vast array of knife types that were done in the past.

Karl
June 22, 2016 03:15PM
I agree with Karl lots of different styles in one model! all are great looking blades! I see 100s of 1000s of hours work here!! Nice work and designs!

Matt
June 22, 2016 05:51PM
Wow...that's a lot of hours of work represented there. Most people will work a lifetime and have little (with the exception of their families) to show for what they've done when they're gone. Not the case here, this kind of craftsmanship will be appreciated long after you're gone. Not saying that we don't appreciate it now, mind you!
June 22, 2016 06:36PM
Thanks Sean,

You know, when I look at this, I think .... as Matt said - THOUSANDS of hours. And then I next think .... "what's seen here, is just a drop in the bucket". Over 1,350 knives alone!! Most of the previous decade knives were four or five times the work of those shown.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

There's a peep thru the fence at what it's like to be that old guy in the shop. Why it's so nice to see things being enjoyed. Think of the "completed" projects out there Sean. I add up over a hundred thousand hours of completed work. That's why I'd like to get more enjoyment out of seeing it be enjoyed.

Thanks to all you guys who do enjoy the stuff. Post a pic of it once in a while. Doesn't have to be covered in mud. Just show it.

Thanks Sean!
Gary

Anybody interested in seeing "Button Locks" prior to the model 97? They start about 1975

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2016 08:32PM by barnespneumatic.
June 22, 2016 08:47PM
Gary
I recall all those knifes except the jigged black 97 in photos as being made in the last couple years . Most of them this year .WOW I have seen a couple hear and there on interweb from days of old but not to many .

I HONESTLY could look at your work ALL day but don't think I could WATCH you work all day .

I'd love to see some vintage button locks . Your design or copy's ?? Just kidding more innocent

Thanks
Kurt
June 22, 2016 11:41PM
Oh .... Yuck yuck .....

Copies!!!! why me

I'll find some early Buttons .....

Gary
June 23, 2016 09:36AM
Gary
Look familiar?
Now THATS a lot hours . I heard there was even drawings made for that knife . Who does that ????

Thanks
Kurt
image.jpg
June 23, 2016 12:41PM
Hi Kurt,

I'm a bit foggy on the exact knife. Is that the knife above? There are a couple of features in this pic that suggests it's another. It's from the very early 80s.

Gary
June 23, 2016 12:53PM
Gary
That is the multi blade knife from above with removable attachments .
It's not mine but I've seen pictures .

Thanks
Kurt
June 23, 2016 05:21PM
Never seen anything like that outside of a museumgrinning smiley
June 23, 2016 05:55PM
Sean
You said that right ! Museum is where it should be . That is the craziest knife I've ever seen ! 1981 is born on date I heard back when beautiful boxes were made for presentation purposes too . That knife has pull out scissors, pull out abalone knife and pull out utensil .( fork ) and 2 lock back blades !

Hope you don't mind me bragging it up Gary . Sean did say it all though .

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2016 06:02PM by kurt wag.
June 23, 2016 07:16PM
Thanks Kurt,

Glad you like it.

The Blades are all Forged Twist Damascus. The knife and fork are too.

The Bolsters are also Dsmascus steel. There are complete Acid Etched Overlays on the Damascus. You note the complex design of the bolsters to Ivory joints. The bolsters and Ivory are also milled underneath for the tools to slid under neath.

Because this stuff is interesting, I'll tell you - the knife was $8,500 in 1981. I even remember the name of the man who bought it. Ha! I recall he bought at least one other very fine knife.

Gary
June 24, 2016 12:38PM
Hi Gary,
That is some amazing inventory there. All of it is beautiful! I'm still carrying mine everyday.
Thanks for sharing,
Jeff
June 24, 2016 01:08PM
Great to hear Jeff! Is it working well!

Remember these maintenance tips. Pocket knives collect lint unless kept in a liner/slip. If the front mechanism gets fouled, remove lint with a wooden toothpick. Apply a couple of drops of light weight oil like 3in1. Cycle lock/action a few times. Fold a corner section of paper towel once, twice, thrice - into a spear point. Probe and swab interior.

Carry on Soldier.
Gary
June 26, 2016 02:47PM
Hey Gary,
OF COURSE IT IS WORKING WELL, IT'S A BARNES KNIFE!!! Yeah, I was shouting, but heck, you already knew it was. That's how you made it. I do all of your tips, have for years. Learned most of them from my Dad when I was 8 years old. That's when he gave me my first knife. A blue slab handle 'Cub Scout' utility knife WITH FOUR BLADES! Well, only one blade, but a bottle opened/screw driver (yep, a lot of Cub Scouts were closet drinkers), reamer/punch and can opener, and a loop (bale) on the end to clip it to a string. I still have it. The scales have shrunk and it is a little worse for the wear, but it is very special.

Dad taught me how to use it in a very father son way and turned me loose with it. I went out and cut everything I could including about 10 fingers. Heck, I was to excited to get it to listen well. He bandaged up all the fingers, went through the lesson again and turned me loose again. The next time there were fewer cuts to be bandaged and then the lesson again. In a couple of days there were no cuts and I have been carrying a knife every day since! He must have been a saint, and I'm sure it hurt a bit to see all of those cuts, but he never admonished me and just kept on teaching. I don't remember any pain from the cuts, but boy was that knife cool!!! I guess today that would be considered child abuse. What a nation of wimps we have become. Thanks for the memories Gary.
Later,
Jeff
June 26, 2016 03:49PM
Great Story Jeff!

I had one exactly like it. Wonderful knife!!! The holes I drilled with that curved awl!!! In my mind's eye, I can see how it got shorter and shorter as I sharpened it. In those days, my knowledge of "sharpening" did not extend beyond a bench grinder!

I have a vivid memory of one cut (Turn away Jim! winking smiley ). My cousin Darrel, and I had built a tent in the back yard. One tent member was a huge old Sycamore tree. A rope wrapped around the tree to form the ridge support of the tent. We had debated if we should take it down or leave it for later. Darrel had decided it should come down and wound up like the pitcher with 3 and 2 in the last game of the World Series. His Scout knife flashed, and I yelled ... "NO - WAIT!!!" As made a clever grab to protect the ridge rope ..... stunned. Boy - if they had only invented Super Glue back then!!!!!

Gary
June 27, 2016 05:15PM
Lol! Nice story Gary.
June 27, 2016 11:12PM
ouch...so I guess you had to slug him with the OTHER hand injured
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021