Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Barnes Working Wood

Barnes Working Wood
January 18, 2017 02:59AM
Hi Y'all,
Gary caught me using a recent Barnes creation while whittling a cutting board.
Panthera Tools.jpg
It's an 18 ft racing kayak in another configuration. So I thought I would bring you all along on the build so far.
Plans are fixed to plywood and cut out.
Panthera forms.jpg
These forms are attached to the strongback and you get to use a laser too!
Panthera Strongback.jpg
Western Red Cedar and Northern White Cedar are fitted and attached with staples to the forms.
Panthera Stripped.jpg
Epoxy is applied and fills the spaces and locks the strips together. The outer stems of Cypress are inlet then steam bent to the bow and stern. All the staples are removed.
Panthera Get Bent.jpg
The three cypress strips are then shaped to the contour of the Cedar strips.
Panthera Bow Shaped.jpg
The entire boat is then smoothed with the plane to remove the surface epoxy and round the joints. Followed by long board sanding. I was sure I was running out of boat to make chips from when it finally took shape.
Panthera Chips.jpg
The fiberglass is then applied and turns clear as you coat with epoxy. It also brings out the color and figure in the wood.
Panthera Fiberglassed Bow.jpg
And here's the hull with accent strip of Northern White bordered by dark strips of Western Red.
Panthera Quartering Glassed.jpg
Well that's what I do, I Paddle and I know things! "festive"
Thanks again Gary
Kent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2017 03:05AM by Cajun Justice.
Re: Barnes Working Wood
January 18, 2017 03:30AM
Absolutely Beautiful!

Looks like a magazine article too, in a fine Wooden Boat format.

I love the clamped pic. I laughed hearty. All the matching spring clamps with green handles. I envisioned that row of clamps were it my boat project. Brown, red, bare silver, bare rusty, pump ratchet clamp, C clamp. Hahaha.

That is a lovely boat. I'm sure she will be fast! Looks like one of those "Things You Know" is how to skim across water!

Thanks for posting, Kent
Gary
Sal
January 18, 2017 04:59AM
Wow Kent, that sucker looks expeeeeeeeeensive! Really cool pattern there with the different types of wood. How many hours would you say a project like that takes you? Thanks for sharing!
January 18, 2017 05:15AM
wow!

Lon
January 18, 2017 09:44AM
Kent
That's beautiful work and a labor of love . So looking at the patterns I believe the kayak is different from front to the back as in different shapes . After its all set up , do you remove all the patterns inside and then have to repeat the whole sanding and planing process inside ? Maybe I'm thinking like canoe open on top but you close it all off on the top side and have the seats cut in .

Anyways looks like she will glide thru the water nice . Thanks for bringing us along .

Thanks
Kurt
January 18, 2017 01:55PM
Wow Kent,
I wish I had the patience to even start such a project. Truly a beautiful boat! Ya'll know that there is some real talent belonging to the members of this site. A lot of it has been shown lately. Thanks to everyone for sharing!
Later,
Jeff
January 19, 2017 12:44AM
Kent:

I just have to mirror what has already been said. It's a beautiful boat and a testament to your skill and dedication. Just awsome.

Karl
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021