Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Completing THIS BEAUTIFUL MDL 97 next/now thumbs up

Completing THIS BEAUTIFUL MDL 97 next/now thumbs up
January 26, 2017 07:33PM
This is an extremely fine "Mdl 97" that I made about two months ago. You are pretty filled in on each thing I've done since then. I'll now be able to finish this!

The handle material is something quite interesting. This is the Prototype of a special type of Florida Fossilized Misquito Tusk. Kelly challenged me to excavate a close simulate for Ivory. As you know, Ivory is closely regulated. The material is beautiful to the eye. Has a special feel to the touch. It's a relaxing color. And is extremely classic. It's been desirable for many thousands of years.

I searched and searched and came up with this beautiful prototype material. It was quite deep in the BPS Tar Pits. This version looks very much like the inner crossection of the Fossil Walrus Tusk that I've used for decades. In addition, I've used a technique that IS of my own creation. This is my sparkling inlay matrix, that I developed about 1977. Any natural material seasonally expands and contracts. For this reason, actual bone and Ivory is known to "squeeze out" or "shrink away from" inlays. Nearly any old inlay will show these minor imperfections. HOWEVER; the material I developed has the most amazing characteristic. It expands and contracts at exactly the same rate as these materials. Thus; the base handle does NOT crack away from the inlays!!! It has a tremendous ability to move WITH the base materials. Of course, Skeeter Tusk is extremely stable. It's not always on the move.

More in a bit. HERE is our unfinished Mdl 97. Nothing here is done ....

Oh ... BTW - This fine Mdl 97 is SOLD.

image.jpeg

Thanks!
Gary

Quick story: I once put some stuff in storage during a particularly cold Maryland Winter. This year, it stayed 10F for a week at a time. The following summer, we could that I had mistakenly placed a briefcase with a Damascus Dagger and it's mosaic Ancient Ivory handle. I expected it to be racked and split. From Md. Winter to Summer temp. changes. And, instead; it was perfect. No damage. Amazing. Hey, am I good, or WHAT?!! Hahaha.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2017 08:01PM by barnespneumatic.
January 27, 2017 01:09AM
That's one fine knife ! Can't wait to see the finished product. I like the new Misquito Tusk Scales.
January 27, 2017 05:16PM
Gary,

Are you saying there will be a Damascus Dagger started at Barnes North that might become available? I'm just saying that is how it sounds. If so, let me know and I'll see if I can take up a collection (my pockets are a little bare, maybe have to talk to/ask the bank for a loan) to take it off your hands.

Keith

BTW - that is a nice model 97. For anyone who is wondering, it looks better in person.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2017 05:20PM by Keith.
January 27, 2017 10:46PM
Hello Keith,

Thing always look better in person. Thanks. And, this fine 97 isn't finished. It will shine and sparkle.

There are forged blades, blanks, billets, even nearly finished blades of all types at BPS. They represent some serious investment of time. When I had the forge up to heat, I'd forge several blades - use one or two, lay the rest back. When I made a billet of Damascus, I'd forge out a few blade blanks, then hammer the rest into bar stock (to be labeled and set back). Therefore; I could very well have excellent materials set back, that I forged in the 80's. Without doubt. And into the 90's. Some require the forge to be assembled in order to complete knives from the Damascus. Most do not. They are already forged into close blanks. They have waited for the interest to find me for them.

Unfortunately, the frozen dagger story was an older one. The dagger was sold when discovered. I think I have an unfinished large dagger blade in my tool rack, but it's unfinished and rusty. There are several larger forged blades there. I thought I'd "get back to" them later, it's a lot of work. As noted, there are years of this sort of work laid back after 40+ years. It's not lack of focus. It's chasing that efficiency curve everyone has pointed out to me since the beginning. "Make a few at a time". Thing is, they didn't realize my fresh ideas never end. So I never have to go back, and repeat; for something to do. Hah! Instead ... To work tonight, I'll have to stomp out several new ideas I had today. There are a few seriously fine adaptations of my work, that I have been pushing aside for a couple of months. It's been impossible to actually build the sort of business I envisioned over 40 years ago. "To Build what my mind's eye sees." The market for that is in another place or time. And one where you don't get health issues and get behind. Hah!

I'm on the job! I very much appreciate those people who allow me to work. I always try to get a week into every day. And, in twelve hours, I get half a day's work done. thumbs up. So that's the formula that works best.

Thanks Keith!
Gary.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021