Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Custom File Work ... Pics

Custom File Work ... Pics
February 03, 2017 07:06PM
I felt this special File Art would suit this fine Model 97.

image.jpeg

All laid out and filed by hand.

image.jpeg

Thanks!
Gary
February 03, 2017 10:17PM
image.jpeg

Well, THAT's hard to read!

Ha. It's the side of a lacquer tin reflected in Alice's blade.

thumbs up

Gary
February 03, 2017 11:34PM
Wow Gary,

That knife sure is a fine piece. I'm confident that Alice will enjoy this knife and will proudly show it to her friends. The file art is unique and delightful, it's the first time that I see that design. Great work Gary!

julio
February 04, 2017 10:42AM
Gary,

That knife turned out really well!

Lon
February 04, 2017 11:52AM
Very nice design and file work! Really turnd out good! One of a kind.

Matt
February 04, 2017 01:47PM
That's beautiful Gary,
The file work reminds me of roses.
Very Nice!
Jeff
February 04, 2017 02:47PM
Gary
That's a fine piece of art work . Like Julio said , that one will surely be one to show off to friends .
Is that a "style of file "you've done before ? It's very appealing especially with the gold metal inlay in the skeeter tusk !

Thanks
Kurt
February 04, 2017 04:37PM
Yes. I did a lot of this type of Filework over 40 years ago.

Have you run across the show on INSP channel called American Handcrafted. Very nice show. Jill Wagner is the hostess. She drops in on Craftspersons and watches/helps them with their craft. Well, last night She dropped in on a guy that's been making knives for the same length of time as myself. He makes very fine copies of old commercial patterns of pocket knives. The show followed him as he made a Bull Nosed Trapper pattern. Two blade slip joint with jigged bone handles. Brushed finish blades. No Filework. The type of folder you saw in a hardware case in 1970. And, they mentioned he gets $2,500 for it. And it's sold. And he has a nine year backlog.

Wow. Good for him. I'd say he took the better path!

Ah .... Filework. Yes, I have many many patterns in my hands. I've shown different things as they have seemed to fit the knives. Much more to draw from!

Take note; this is both sides of a model 97 held together. The blade goes between the sides. It's a beautiful folder.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2017 05:05PM by barnespneumatic.
February 06, 2017 04:06PM
Gary,

The knife looks fantastic. I'm sure Alice will cherish it, and the kids will fight over it, hopefully many years from now. I have not mentioned to her that there are updated photos posted, maybe with a little luck it will be a surprise.

$2500 for an old style folder, man I'm in the wrong line of work. Did they mention how long it takes to make one of those folders?

Keith
February 07, 2017 06:46PM
Hi Keith,

For the sake of the show, they made it sound as if he made it while she (Jill Wagner) was there that day. Though he did prepare a process he allowed to soak over night.

At any rate, he should've able to make that in two days, without hurting himself. He might do better. He did have a good number of jigs and such. And, I'm sure it's very fine. He's evidently made his name for making those copies of old factory knives. I just wish he was pricing my stuff. Wink.

I'm glad you are pleased with the pics I posted. Wish I were a bit faster. The Health Insurance Thug seems to me like he roughs me up (shakes me upside down for the lint in my pockets), then he drives out the lane, has lunch, and comes right back again. There has to be a way to get longer months someplace!

Thanks Keith,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2017 06:49PM by barnespneumatic.
February 10, 2017 09:57PM
Beautiful. Can't wait to see it. I love the filework. Suits the handle well
Alice Ann
February 10, 2017 10:07PM
Thanks Alice. I'm pleased.

Nearly done. Need longer days. I'll be in touch.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021