Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: DETAILS

DETAILS
March 14, 2017 01:32AM
i can't leave anything alone, if it stays here a week. Ha.

image.jpeg

This was going to be Really Nice.

image.jpeg

This looked great .... but I knew it was on its way ....

image.jpeg

To This. thumbs up

image.jpeg

I occasionally make a plain knife. But my heart is in the details. And, I believe you guys enjoy them too.

image.jpeg

It takes time to put in the details, but ... the knives have a loooong life afterwards, to stay done.

oh .... right .... unless Kurt gets hold of them .... Hahahha. Yesssss, I'm kidding ....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2017 01:46PM by barnespneumatic.
March 14, 2017 01:38AM
image.jpeg

Yes, polished Handles.

Deep Set Forged Copper Arrow Head

Engraved/Carved Spring and liners.

Dinner ....

Thanks for reading, and thanks for comments.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2017 01:35PM by barnespneumatic.
March 14, 2017 12:20PM
Wow Gary nice work on the details... Love the way this knife is evolving and thanks for sharing your work with us.
March 14, 2017 01:52PM
Thanks Julio!

I'm just flexing my muscles to work on yours next. I have my magic Sharpie warming up. Haha. thumbs up

Gary
March 14, 2017 04:42PM
Gary,

I agree with Julio. This knife just keeps getting better.
March 14, 2017 05:45PM
Thanks Karl,

There are always a dozen choices. The stabalized wood felt so good when sanded to a fine Satin finish. Even Kelly mentioned the "grip" when I showed her the knife. But, people are more used to looking at polished surfaces/handles. Hard to get tactile feedback thru a pic. So; I polished it and it looks much like polished stained bone now. I like it both ways.

I also make other choices I question later. Like - that shield is three times as thick as it looks. It's inlaid. If it were thin and riveted on, it would look about the same. And, be far less work. So; I might just go ahead and do a process because I know it's best. But then realize or question - hummm, will they care.

I make so many things too. That's always bitten me in the butt. It means I have to master the techniques for all of them. If I made just one or a few styles, it would be so much easier. Good grief, I've made over 1,350 knives .... and I doubt two were alike. I thought it would be more interesting for collectors .... but some like to say they have "one of these" and "one of those" known pieces. I just have too many ideas for that. I just hate repetition. To the point that I can't stand most Pop music which is one phrase repeated 72 times. Ha.

Glad you like them. Hope today offers them finished!

Gary
March 14, 2017 05:34PM
Gary
Can we have a peek of the new back spring scroll design ? I see the sketch but my eye hurt from trying to look at the side of the knife .
Don't tell me I gotta buy it to see it either !bullhorn

Thanks
Kurt
March 14, 2017 05:46PM
You have to buy it first Kurt ....,

laughing
March 14, 2017 06:43PM
So I see you bedazzled the scales on the other knife . Is that one already spoken for ? It looks like a fine lady's knife ! I love what you've done with it .

Thanks
Kurt
March 14, 2017 06:59PM
Hi Kurt,

That one will be available today.

My days just aren't linear .... ya know? Bet you do. Haha.

Hey, I had to clean the Buffing compound from the engraving on the WOOD knife. Got pics of that now. Kelly arrived home in the middle. Needed help. Got your pix coming now ....

Gonna do another thread cause it will load faster!

Here's one though.

image.jpeg

Not bad .... huh?

Gary
March 14, 2017 11:16PM
Gary,
They are both looking very fine !
Thank you for the artistic "one off" fine detailing that you put in to all your creations!
Every one a masterpiece!

Bob
March 17, 2017 01:21PM
Gary
I made a comment about bedazzled earlier because the scales appear to have precious stones inlayed in the scales . Now in the finish pics they appear to be the " Parent " metal of the scales . Is the light tricking my eyes because on this post they truly look like stones to me .

Thanks
Kurt
March 17, 2017 01:48PM
Hi Kurt,

Thks very much.

I did carve/engrave the design from the hardened back spring AND the liners - all at one time. I thought the bi-metal color would be interesting. I believe what you are seeing as gemstones, is part of the design cut into the liner material.

This is a different look from the geometric file art. That's more Art Deco (geometric shapes), this is Art Nouveau (flowing designs).

Thanks for noticing Kurt!

Gary
March 19, 2017 02:47AM
Very nice Gary! The copper arrowhead is a nice touch. Learned a few things from your posts. One was stabilizing wood. Had to google it to understand what the process was. From there found epoxy and many materials glued to make scales. Really neat!

Pedro
March 19, 2017 05:56AM
beautiful!!!!
March 19, 2017 01:47PM
Thank you Grizz,

Nice to read ya. Green bowing
April 11, 2017 09:08PM
Got it Kurt. Thks!
April 12, 2017 06:27PM
I forgot Kurt....

Yes, I do have more stabilized Spalted Live Oak. I cut bookmatched sets a bit oversized in thickness, then stabalized them that way.

Pretty stuff. A lot of detail.

What did you say you wanted ..... a fully carved Tactical 97 was it??? Haha. I have a box of those here .... somewhere.....

Thks bud,
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 29
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021