Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: fish Help! The Complete Verne fish

fish Help! The Complete Verne fish
August 22, 2018 01:38AM
Well, everyone has gone silent all at once. Hopefully I haven’t managed to annoy everyone all at once. The Green Dots have no regard for public opinion, preferred timing, or the Perfect sunny day. They are far more likely to get done during a Tuesday evening thunderstorm. I do my absolute best. I certainly do not “plan” to disappoint by arriving when the Catering Company is tearing down the tents.

That said (yet again) .... we have a Stunning Completed Barnes Art Knife. It only has 20,000 Leagues on it, it’s just broken in. I hope you enjoy the photos, Gary L.

Gary B.

There will be other pics as I sharpen it, etc.

I’m extremely pleased with this project. I’m not sure how it could be better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2018 01:43AM by barnespneumatic.
2E4A3DE4-E52A-4C62-ACF4-3B3E883D7C7E.jpeg
62B2895A-6197-4D8A-8076-80EC3F853193.jpeg
6D461ABA-81D3-4C6C-A3CB-A53260F17415.jpeg
DDE2D032-AE32-4216-B67A-01C13BBB1E94.jpeg
450FD2F4-0801-4F12-999B-91F1797224C7.jpeg
64CC2DF3-5E3E-40A1-9DFB-4AE19F611FC8.jpeg
6FC55F89-1B5F-4F1E-8ADE-03EEF1EFF928.jpeg
AFA3BA4D-ECDB-47EA-A72D-F3C8408B3E01.jpeg
August 22, 2018 06:13AM
WOW!!!!!!!

Gary L
August 22, 2018 02:42PM
Zoiks ! That's going to have to have a glass cover display case and white cotton gloves to handle .
I remember( way back ..... )hehe when you had that sharpied out laying on the work bench and it was amazing THEN . And now look at what you've gone & done . Verrrrry nice piece of work . Congratulations to both Gary's .
Can you tell me how long that Vern turned out to be over all ? I think it's gotta be the longest Md97 I've ever seen of yours . It's a good thing the book wasn't any longer ! more innocent

Thanks
Kurt
August 22, 2018 05:06PM
Looks like 10 5/16” when sharpened, Kurt.

Thanks Much for your comments. I appreciate them.
Gary
August 22, 2018 03:17PM
Gary,

Absolutely gorgeous. The engraving is a joy to behold, so expressive and detailed. Congratulations to both of you. I am looking forward to viewing your next masterpiece.

Karl
August 22, 2018 05:09PM
Thanks Karl,

Funny, I come back after a couple of days and ... hey ... that’s neat!!! Haha.

This one was a LOT of work.

Lots more to complete on the bench. No time to rest.

Gary
August 22, 2018 11:54PM
"Well, everyone has gone silent all at once"

In the middle of the work week with the new school year having just started? Say it ain't so. Pipe smoker

"That's a knife"(Said with Stralian accent).

Lon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2018 11:57PM by Bigbore.
August 23, 2018 12:05AM
Right Lon!

Exactly. You see it too then?! Crazy Huh?

Man .... I wish everyone could open and close this knife and just absorb how the mechanism works. It’s just perfect. Takes a bit of effort to get that result.

Kurt has a 97 that I carried for years, and he has done the same since he purchased it from me. It’s a great system.

Gary
August 23, 2018 12:32AM
That Knife is just totally AWESOME !!!! Quite the Masterpiece, you can look at it for hours and find new details you haven't seen before !

Awesome Gary, I don't know how you can top that , but I am sure you will.

Thanks, Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2018 02:48PM by robert gillstrom.
August 24, 2018 12:44AM
wow

That is absolutely beautiful!

I agree that he Model 97 has a fabulous mechanism, no matter what size it is.

Scott
August 26, 2018 08:13PM
Incredible, that is one amazing looking knife! Verne should be very pleased!

Pedro
August 31, 2018 05:47AM
Again WOW!!! Seeing it real vs your good pictures (With display limitations).

It is amazing, the amount of derail. Captain Nemo much easier to make out in window of Nautilus (But he looks like an old guy with a white beard sort of like Gary B Hummmmm) The figure head on the ship is great, face is very very good. The Kraken looks like one of the aliens from the Simpsons Halloween special, the eye and teeth are great. Nice teteicles. Seeing the face of the diver looking at the Kraken adds a lot. What is the item just above the sunken ship sort of looks like an old cannon buried muzzle down but I am not sure. Crabs, divers with spearguns, treasure chests all are there. the inlays are great. For the most part you just see them end at the edge in a small section, except at the end of the handle where you have a great side view of the inlay. The Mother of pearl (or is it abalone?) sets off the ebony and the stone (what is the combination of green and blue? Malachite and lapis? or something else) I still cannot see the Hamon but the polish on the blade is outstanding, all lines parallel and subtle.

A truly wonderful example of your work. It was fun (interesting,/ informative /exciting?) to watch the knife evolve and become real. All the different steps involved. Thanks for all the postings.

Thank You

Gary L
August 31, 2018 12:18PM
Gary L. And Readers,

What a WONDERFUL acknowledgment of receipt for our project. I am so very grateful that the knife has gone to such an observant and appreciative friend.

The object that looks like an old cannon buried muzzle down ...... it’s an old cannon buried muzzle down. Hah. You see a trunnion and foundry builder’s casting shield. Glad you caught the Crab - Claws raised defensively at the 20 foot Great White Slicing by. Glad you appreciated our lady’s lovely face. I suspect many sailors fell in love with her when she was afloat.

Glad you like the faces and detail. That is THE key to engraving. You have a couple slices, divots, and sweeps ... to depict the lovely face of a young woman, or the Victorian Master of an fantasy Submarine. A strict analysis of the cuts will reveal “that there is almost nothing there”. But it’s the control of the nothings and the cuts to produce light and shadow ... which tell the story.

I have great pics of the hamon. Never got to post yet. I will.

It’s been my honor to create this Barnes Master Work for such an appreciative gentleman.

I have an appointment this morning. Then I’ll post some more pics.

Thank You,
Gary B
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021