Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sunday Casting Mold and Prototype nerd

Sunday Casting Mold and Prototype nerd
January 20, 2019 05:16PM
Based upon my Range work, I’m making another slug Prototype. If it works out, I will have something to share with the Outrider 50 owners.
Re: Sunday Casting Mold and Prototype nerd
January 24, 2019 01:07PM
And, the custom mold work has yielded three new 50 Caliber slugs which I can share with Outrider owners. Testing at the range soon. We have been socked in with wind, rain, and gloom.

But ...the sun’ll come up ... tomorrow...

Thanks sincerely for reading.
New pics ASAP
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2019 01:37PM by barnespneumatic.
January 28, 2019 06:23PM
Hi Gary,

Went to my bullet guy and he was amazed about you’re slugs, his thing is Black powder rifles from way back (similar to airguns low velocity), he told me the raptor design was very similar to the bullets that came after the roundball... tested the hardness of a bought raptor so i can replicate the exact hardness. Have you ever tested with the small rings in stead of thicker rings... for less friction like Black powder winchester slugs? He also advised me to lube the slugs with silicone spray ( no dieseling effect) for higher velocity, anyway I still got a lot of testing to do... want to thank you fir all the good advise... you really helped me out! Especialy with the o rings, much more comftable!

Highest regards Brian
CFDC886A-11C1-4F9A-A70F-CD15C6199C80.jpeg
January 28, 2019 09:09PM
Hi Brian,

Try this. Your ears are probably younger than mine. Shoot a Raptor to 100 yards, just at the backer; with your ear cups off. If you haven’t damaged your ears with age, you should hear an AUDIBLE SHRIEKING CRY (much like a Hawk) as it flies away from you. It’s the origin of the name of the slug. It’s a factor of the ring placement producing an interference wind shear as the slug displaces the air it passes through. Quite unique. I can’t hear it anymore but I remember it very well.

Now; rings and lubes. Consider this: A firearm (even black powder) produces its power almost instantly. It’s there, then POW - it explodes. A PCP is very different. It must retain the slug WHILE pressure from the reservoir builds up behind it in the breech. If the slug is too slippery, too small, or too easily engaged in the Rifling; then it will slip out of the Breech and start down the barrel while the breech pressure is building. BTW .... that’s the key to a Spring Piston gun. It must retain the pellet while the piston builds pressure, if not it will just flub early.

Think about it.

Best. Thanks for enjoying my work. I’m twenty 23-25 years down the path making Precharged Pneumatics. I suspect readers enjoy this type of thread as much as I do.

Gary
February 08, 2019 12:03PM
So what your saying is that the slug needs to have a bit more resistance in the barrel to generate adequate pressure to achieve the energy required to do the job so well?

Scott
February 08, 2019 01:53PM
Hi Scott,

The resistance required, is in the breech (which as you know is the section which accept the slug when you load the gun). It needs to resist moving into the barrel proper, at the first breath of air from the firing valve. It needs to hang in there like the proverbial cork in the bottle, until pressure builds behind it. We are talking microseconds here.

At the point where the lead fatigued from the pressure, the slug will be extruded into the Rifling. Now you’d think that would mean it was way too tight. But, the reality is that the fight is taken out of the lead once extruded by the Rifling, and it now assumes it’s role as a threaded “bolt” to the barrel (the nut in the analogy).

Welcome back. Hope all went very well.
Gary
January 25, 2019 05:02PM
Hey
Sounds great Gary
Except the wind and rain and gloom .
The old Alberta clipper is hitting Michigan pretty hard with wind and sub zero temp . I'm sure even way down there your feeling the affect.
We are in for a nasty week of cold here for sure . Keep the wood pile stocked up!

Thanks
Kurt
Anonymous User
February 05, 2019 02:16PM
That will be a fine air rifle....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021