Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: I Stop By Here ... Pictures, Stories, Techniques

I Stop By Here ... Pictures, Stories, Techniques
May 06, 2019 02:33PM
I stop by Rendezvous quite a few times each day, and evening. I make sure I tend to any Private Message which might have been posted - question for me - request of me.

612F8802-D4C0-4EC2-838A-AA50609B16AA.jpeg

I’m here, even when you don’t see me in a newly Posted Topic.

Sometimes I snap pics and think I’ll share a story with you. Like when I saw this great MGB ...

F6320C65-A65C-49BD-8821-FAACBDA60559.jpeg

Sometimes I think I’ll share a neat technique I developed ... like the wave engraving in this neat pendant. Or the detail in this Pirate Ship. Or make something small and unique, like this antiqued Pocket Case.

93E31391-AAE3-46C1-9739-168340C19C94.jpeg

B6CFE10B-A016-40A6-8E48-476DA899497F.jpeg

Or make a unique new product ...

47BB9735-6373-4AED-950C-ED3E27760CEB.jpeg

I’ve spent a lot of time staying in touch, explaining, staying available. I know that the internet is like “Space”. We can’t imagine the vastness. Actually, the internet is far more seductive because we can’t easily travel thru the vastness of Space.

The old brain that has given a lifetime of unique designs, and allowed me to figure out how to make them; lays out truths for me to recognize. It doesn’t matter how interesting something first appears, once it becomes familiar ... it’s interest fades. And so the comments first appear (now years past). And then they become ... “I don’t know any other way to say that you do great work.” Then after that ... silence. Where you desire for an effort to “mature”, and bear fruit ... it just becomes ... “familiar.” And so something that’s a solid 8 or a 9, after I’ve shown several examples of same ... will soon be competing against 7’s and 6’s elsewhere... just because they are new.

So; without user input ... in order to keep our forum alive, I simply must display an endless stream of items never seen anywhere. I mean ... ANYwhere. Or pretend to not notice the total silence which greets me with each visit .... or just go away. In a world of infinite web choices, it’s a tough room. If you slow down for any reason at all, just know you will be blamed. Think about it: The Ford Mustang, if it had had early buyers, but never had any “drivers” ....

I’ve stayed available. Kept readers informed. Worked and posted amid the silence. Explained the why, the how, the hopes, intentions, efforts. The progress. God forbid any setbacks. I’ve been pushing this rock seven days a week, for a loooong time; in the hope my sincerity would be visible. When my readers come to Rendezvous... how much silence will they read. So; when I’ve asked for participation and conversation for ten years ....

I came here again this morning. These were my thoughts.

Gary
May 07, 2019 01:31AM
Gary,

I've been revisiting the British cars on the Internet lately when I should have been here chatting. I owned a Triumph Spitfire I was rebuilding before it got too far ahead of me in the process. When looking at sports cars, I test drove a TR4 and have regretted not buying that instead because it didn't need 10% of the work the Spitfire needed, but, it cost more, at least initially.laughing again My favorite was always the TR6.

A friend owned an MG hatchback that was very nice.

Overall, the British cars were notoriously unreliable but they looked great and were fun when they ran. Price a few good examples.surprised

Lon
May 07, 2019 06:24PM
Roommate in college had had a Spitfire. Wrecked it and nearly him. I always wanted a TR6 until I attempted to get into one. Not possible.

The MGB (before the hideous rubber bumpers) had room. A friend in high school ... 6’10” drive one. Of course, he’d put the seat back against the cockpit rear wall, but when I sat in his (me a mere 6’3”), I couldn’t touch the pedals.

I had the chance to buy a MGA with new tires on wires for $400 in 75. Newly married, I couldn’t spare $400. Nuts!

I actually always wanted an Austin Healy. But alas. And now Ijust want 3-4 more days in each week. That would help weekly production. An extra 9 days a week and I’d smile big. 16/7 would be sweet.

Yeah. I once had a 65 3.8S Jag. I’d bought a 1970 Mercedes 280S out of a yard, cheap. They were bullet proof. Polished and fluffed it up. Made a killer trade up on the Jag. Cars used to be fun. It was neat to see the MGB. It was nice. I liked the MGBGT Too like your friend had. Looooved the XKEGT. Never had one. Guy had one to torment me with in the 80s. Haha.

Good talk Lon. Thanks.
Gary
May 07, 2019 09:12PM
Father in Law had an Austin Healy..... Hated it ...Said he couldn't keep the water out of it when it rained. Went back to his tried and true Lincoln Continentals and i believe had every model until his passing. Guess he liked luxury more than looking cool. Remember as a kid a shop that would work on those Jaguar XKE... musta been around 1970 or so.... had to be a half dozen on the sidewalk waiting to get repaired.
May 07, 2019 11:29PM
Much of the problem with British Cars was Lucas Electric Components. They actually call Lucas “The Prince of Darkness” cause the electric systems were hideous.

Saw a Tee shirt ... “The famous Lucas Three Way Switch!!! ... On, Off, Flicker.”
May 08, 2019 04:04AM
My Triumph was positive ground, wasn't ready for that. Heck, I wasn't ready for negative ground so I sort of jumped into the deep end of the pool.
May 08, 2019 01:14PM
We have to mention the Sunbeam Alpine cars. Clean conventional 60’s lines. Then the fire breathing Sunbeam Alpine Tiger where they shoehorned an American Ford 289V-8 into the light roadster. I think that predated the Cobra.

Then we have the Morgan where they actually built the bodies on a wooden skeleton.

Neat stuff. Almost as neat as the stylish Aztec. Wink.

Gary
May 10, 2019 03:04PM
Hey guys
Those older foreign cars are cool and all but not to fun to work on or even GET someone to work on . There’s still nothing quite like the old American muscle. Easy to work on and generally can still find parts.

Btw my son is at the stage in his life where he will be buying his first car soon .( he’s had 2 others) Jake has been doing a lot of homework and a lot of car shows even interviewing owners for their opinions. Oh to be young again.

Thanks
Kurt
May 10, 2019 07:49PM
Is he buying new or vintage Kurt?
May 10, 2019 10:10PM
Hey
He’s going vintage but really likes the foreign sports cars . You know 90’s is vintage nowadays too! Haha

Thanks
Kurt
May 10, 2019 10:38PM
I think I understand that the Miata is pretty bullet proof classic theme Sports Car. They’ve made a billion of them by now ... should be deals around. They made it to have the English look and feel, with the Japanese reliability
May 11, 2019 12:03AM
Honda, Toyota or headaches.

Lon
May 21, 2019 08:24PM
I really like the pocket clip design on that Kydex sheath. So few knife makers go to the trouble of making a true deep pocket clip, and I have never seen anybody do one with a “bridge mount” design like this. I have personally never really cared for the colors and patterns of the “fossilized mosquito tusk“ / acryllic resin material. It’s just too fancy/gaudy for my utilitarian taste, but it seems to be rather popular these days. I would be more likely to go for a knife with a blade this size with scales of textured micarta /G-10 (perhaps with finger grooves). I like a handle long enough for a solid 3-4 finger grip, and for working knives I really lean towards either a drop point or wharnecliffe blade shape. For me, the most natural thing is to get my index finger up on the spine, and those shapes act like an extension of your fingers natural curve. Overall size would still be compact enough that the sheath can fit down deep into a front or back pocket, but with enough handle to really do some work.

So many knives out there succumb to the “tactical” malaise, and either have way too much blade length for fine control or are so thick that it makes it unnecessarily difficult to actually slice through anything. Either that, or they go to the other extreme and make the edge so delicate that you can’t do any serious work with it. I dont want a razor blade grind angle on a working knife, it’ll just fold under pressure and I have to re-grind it myself. Striking a balance on blade hardness also seems to be a bit of a lost art these days too. It’s like theres a “race to the top“ on hardness ratings, mostly for marketing purposes. Sure, it comes shaving sharp, but they all do these days. I am much more interested in how well the knife STAYS sharp under use, and how workable it is to “touch up“ the blade when it needs it. When you make your blade from “super hyper ultra steel” and heat treat it to Rockwell 60 jillion, all you do is make it impossible to re-sharpen unless you have all afternoon or power tools. Finding a good balance seems to have escaped the makers of most mass market knives. Probably a lot of custom knife makers as well, but most of their work is too expensive to actually use as a working tool, at least for me.

I still really like the design of your saddle lock folders, have you ever made one with a micarta or G-10 handle?
May 21, 2019 09:41PM
Hi Sean

Thanks for noticing. Things like that Clip are what my mind sees as the point of Custom Knives. The stuff takes time to make. Usually “out of proportion” time to make. I had to make a Die set to mold those compound curves into the Stainless Steel. Then use another Die set to fold the clip over. Actually, a third set to mold the “kick out” that picks up the pocket fabric, then allows it to grab hold. “I” can’t justify that kind of work. I never get paid for it. But I keep doing it. Now another shop would make 6-8 of their standard Tactical model GS3s or whatever by the time I make this small set. They’ll do very well on their 6-8 knives for $295 each while I struggle to get $400 for my single. Mine was a lot more work. But really who cares, cause you can’t compare it to everything else. It’s unique. Who wants unique art anymore? You are right ... a group of “Tactical” GS3s or whatever are worth 6X more then my little curious personal knife. Heck ... I can’t get around the fact that it’s not a full tang. (Like most of the $3 steak knives at Walmart). And in a nice “Tactical 1/4” Stock” Sean, it only weighs about 3 pounds. However; you are just “supposed to” do it right. According to the template people read and memorize. And I’ve always made it BARNES and explained it, but it’s just not right ...

You and I have had many good chats thru the years. So I know this is in your interest. “Custom” has completely changed. It used to be that people considered that the guy who has made stuff forever, might know what he’s doing. Now, I think it’s changed. Your shop should just “Tool Up” to build “the thing” that’s in popular vogue. Build it “the way” (meaning with as many Water Jets, Lasers, and CNC 11 axis mills ...), and stop fooling with other stuff. It used to be that the 125 makers all making variations of the same thing, would come by my table to see what I was making that was totally different. Those “different” things were what made my guys want to buy my work. Now I look at a popular site of various maker’s knives ... and they are all made with the same materials, the same way, the same kit bearings, they look the same, etc. Now that’s just what “I” see. The industry is clearly right. I’m just an artist doing my stuff. But today’s buyers do seem to be into that Heavy Tactical look. Hey ... you’d think they’d all need a Molan Labe Cuff! But since everyone isn’t making them, you can’t compare mine. It’s just too stressful to buy something you see and like. That’s weird. Hah.

Micarta. Sure. Black, brown, green. Nothing too wild. 3 1/2” blade of 1/8” A2 Stainless Tool Steel. About 7/8 of a Full Grind width blade. Same A2 steel back Saddle. Drop or Wharncliff. 3 finger grip handle. Med temper. 2,000 grit finish. Now, I can’t tell you that’s a perfect (Work) Knife and that nothing else would work. But for the time I’d invest in making it well, I’d need $650. $15 USPS ship

No pressure and nothing assumed.

Good talking to ya again,
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021