Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: 97 prototype

97 prototype
August 22, 2020 11:07PM
This has to be one of my favorite natural Barnes knifes . It may look simple but being a MD97 there’s a lot you can NOT see . The detent, smooth hubs and brass attachments with decorative screw heads and lock up really set it off .
I’m very lucky to own this one !bowing

Thanks
Kurt
8EE05F8A-ED9C-46FA-9C78-98E18E6FE5B6.jpeg
F7309FDB-B3FA-4E50-BE33-FCFAEF5818A6.jpeg
August 23, 2020 01:50PM
Thank you, my Friend!

That’s really mellowing nicely. Great Pics! So glad you are enjoying it. That Stag is really nice too.

Gary
August 26, 2020 02:07PM
A Very nice Knife !! If that's a prototype , how old would that be?

Thanks for sharing, Bob
August 27, 2020 02:37PM
Hi Bob,

The “Prototype” part was in building a 97 from natural contour Stag Slabs. Inserting brass hard points where deemed necessary.

I’ve build special jigs thru the years so I can hold irregular shapes precisely, and drill perpendicular holes thru them. Not a simple task. The other part of the Prototype program for this knife was in building the blade to fit the existing shape of the stag. Usually handles are built to fit the blade so this is backwards.

“Prototype” can refer to any new concept and technique tried.

Thanks Bob,
Gary
August 28, 2020 06:19PM
barnespneumatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I’ve build special jigs thru the years so I can
> hold irregular shapes precisely, and drill
> perpendicular holes thru them. Not a simple task.

I find that work holding and "locating" for operations is often the most time consuming part of a project. My projects are usually small in size and unique with almost no two being identical. My projects are typically customizing a hobby part or creating a part I am not able to source, not duplicating items.

I really love the natural materials used to make the knife. Amazing how that huge blade disappears into the handle.

Lon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2020 06:22PM by Bigbore.
August 30, 2020 02:30PM
Thank you Lon,

Work holding is THE KEY to machining. You have “Attained Wisdom”

You just may want to look into the thermoset plastics intended for just such a purpose. I’ll look at the container of the type I’ve had forever. I forget the temperature required but it’s just slightly above bare hand molding. The material I have comes in maybe .090” beads. You melt it into a thick syrup.

Anyway; with a spoonful of melted plastic placed onto a flat metal block, the key would be to take your odd shaped workpiece and partially embed it into the cooling plastic. WITH CARE TAKEN to present the surface you wish to mill, at the correct angle/plane for milling. Within 30-45 seconds, you will have your part keyed against slippage and have one flat surface to place against a vice jaw. The other vice jaw can close against your part in any way which won’t damage said part. Leather pad, lead pad, etc. For small parts with light cuts from a fast cutter, this works.

The plastic can also be remelted many times. The plastic is as tough as a Waffle House Steak (as someone recently said here I think - hah).

That’s just one tip I hope helps you.

Best
Gary
August 26, 2020 04:24PM
Howdy Bob
Sn: 1355
Born on date: 6/23/16
It’s a pretty big knife for a folder and not very old but I fell in love during the build of it .

Thanks
Kurt
C0128858-9D23-4466-AE93-D7700A667D69.jpeg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021