Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Switch Blade Target in action ...

Switch Blade Target in action ...
March 29, 2010 02:31AM
I took the completed target to the range this late afternoon. "They" had been predicting rain. It looked alot like the end of the world ... but I took the War Wagon. Thought it might just hold out.

I set up the "stuff", and put the target out at 50 yards. It so happened that Jerry called as I was trying it out! Good timing. He was on the line while I took the first shot at it ever. Fifty yards .... "Bang ... Clack! ... Flip ... New Target!" It worked perfectly the first time!!!

Good thing Jerry called too, or I wouldn't have a video for ya. I was trying to get a video ... and couldn't get the camera to auto focus when I'd push the Shutter button half way down. I figured it could "NOT" be that sensitive. That you had to push one thousandth of an inch for focus ... two thousandths of an inch starts the movie! Could not see it focus any. So; after starting nine false start movies .... I was good naturedly discusing the engineering choices which camera makers choose .... whistling ... when Jerry said something like .... "Hey ... there's a button on the left side of the camera lens that's placed there (where you'd normally touch it without knowing you'd done so) .. that's labeled something like ... make all my pictures out of focus, really fuzzy, and don't allow anything I do to focus the camera work .... hey ... you DIDN'T push that button ... did you???" So, I said ... "Well, I don't know ... WHY IN THE NAME ..... would ANYONE make such a button, and put it ....... "

Well, I reset the button and the camera would nicely auto focus. Gee - I WONDER if anyone ELSE has ever mistakenly touched that button?? Hummmmmmm. why me Well, anyway ... we have a video ... thanks to the wisdom of Jerry. (He forced me to put all this crap into the story too ... bowing

Here's the video. The target was shot with 186 grain slugs making about 230 fpe. As you can see ... no back flips of the target this time. But; of course, we're not up to the Grizzly yet. There are, however; ways to tune it to moderate the action of the paddles for various weight classes, in order to keep the thing from being destroyed.

Enjoy. I'll post some stills I took too ... as an edit.

[s434.photobucket.com]

Gary
March 29, 2010 02:42AM
Nice focus! Oh, the target looks good too... tongue sticking out smiley
March 29, 2010 02:44AM
I mean ... Thank you for your comments. bowing

wink

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2010 02:55AM by barnespneumatic.
March 29, 2010 02:53AM
Target 011.JPG

The Barnes "Acme" Bullet Sorter and reducer.

Target 012.JPG

The very first bullet to be sorted and reduced! haha. That WAS a 186 grain bullet. Doubt if it now weighs more than 15 grains.

Target 014.JPG

Those holes in the dirt with schrapnal in them are where the rest went, while emparting all that energy to the paddle. That slug was about an inch and a quarter long.

Target 018.JPG

The "splats" are little more than the "epicenter" of the last tail ring as it collapsed upon itself while the rest shattered and sprayed off. Need some real high speed of that, but I only have 1,000 frames per second. where I'd need a lot more. We'll see.

thumbs up

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2010 02:57AM by barnespneumatic.
March 29, 2010 02:57AM
Gary,

Wow, nice! Hey, you've made steel targets before haven't you?bad dude

Maybe we can hook up some R.C. gear and drive it around the field.nowthatIthink

Lon
March 29, 2010 03:15AM
It looke pretty cool and" hightech!". I like it.
March 29, 2010 02:09PM
BTW

The gun was the shop mule in 8mm. It's moderated. The camera was set up at about 25 yards away - between the shooter and the target. That's what 230 fpe sounds like from 25 yards - and what the strike sounds like.

Gary
March 29, 2010 11:33PM
That is the best target ever! The only walking we have to do now is to freshen the color and to reset the paper targets! From now on we only need 3 targets, 1 at 100 yards to warm up, 1 at 150 for groups and the rolling pellet reducer at say..200?

That really is a nice target. It will take away just a bit of the fun of "staeling" someone's knockdown critter though! On the other hand, it ought to take away some of Jim's advantage with the "ladies" model! winking smiley
March 29, 2010 11:38PM
Way cool !!!cooler

the high speed shots in the other post are also pretty frosty!Snowman
March 30, 2010 10:08AM
Now that is just cool!cooler

Reminds of of those "perpetual motion machines" that seem to pop up from time to time...just add air.
March 30, 2010 05:05PM
Looking great so far Gary!
cheers
Neil
March 30, 2010 05:25PM
Right ... it's a sort of "Smoke Grinder" ... just add high velocity lead! haha

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021