Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Dragon Insert - 58 Caliber

Dragon Insert - 58 Caliber
April 14, 2010 05:36PM
It seems odd, when a "sub caliber insert" is 58 caliber! However; that's the case. One of the sets of parts I blued Saturday, was the parts for the 58 insert to go into the 87 Dragon's barrel. It's complete. Paired up with the non-blued parts, and I'm taking it to the range for testing.

Dragon Insert 002.JPG

The muzzle ...

Dragon Insert 004.JPG

And the bolt.

I'll post some pics of the range later.

thumbs up

Gary
April 14, 2010 05:38PM
OOOOHHH LA LA. So thats very nice.

Thats funny, insert being .58 caliber. WOW!

So GB, is the insert rifled?
April 14, 2010 08:08PM
Gotta be. Too much work just for a smaller smoothbore. All Justice / Woodsman system smoothbore guns (of which the Dragon is a derivative, I believe) can take rifled inserts. Blue Light Special

-- Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2010 08:08PM by admin.
April 14, 2010 10:53PM
That looks awesome Gary.
Can't wait to see the results from your testing. It will soon be a Hawaiian Dragon, Lol.
April 15, 2010 12:35AM
Hi Donny,

I ran it around 680 foot pounds with the 58 insert. I want to make an internal modification to the T port seals. In the whole marathon preparing for bluing, I neglected to cut a couple of grooves in the barrel housing. Never noticed the departure from the design sheet ... until I got the range results (naturally - haha).

No sweat. Just means I have to pull the insert, make the mod, and go back to the range.

It's a beast. When better sealed, it should even be a bit higher (unless it's already applied all the energy the slug can use - even though not sealed well enough). We'll see. I'll run an accuracy test. I needed to correct this issue first, as it affects the barrel suspension.

I'll see what pics I have later.

Oh ... wear ear cups! I SAID ... WEAR EAR CUPPPPS!!!! In the attempt to do a short video, I forgot to replace them for one shot. I SAID ... FORGOT TO REPLACE THEM!!!

thumbs up

Gary
April 15, 2010 01:44AM
Well, I was hoping this test would not be ready until maybe the weekend after next. I want Donny to get his gun, just not until I get to see it in action again! I'm so ashamed blush.

Wow. 680 FPE with an insert is pretty impressive. Given that an insert naturally brings along inefficiencies in the transfer port path that a gun with a fixed barrel doesn't have, getting as much power out of the insert as a Yukon (before the sealing item is corrected) is darn stout!

I'll bet the earcup missing shot was entertaining! Was that inside the noise amplifier...I mean war wagon? I'll bet you couldn't hear yourself cursing. wink
April 15, 2010 02:02PM
WHAT??? For Heaven's sake ... SPEAK UP!!!

More coffee
April 15, 2010 02:52AM
Hi Gary,
that's unbelievable, 680 really? I can't wait to get my hands on the beast. If you want, you could hold on to it until Jerry has a chance to see it in action for the last time. Once it reaches me here on Maui, it's ALL MINE, hehehehe. Great job Gary.
April 15, 2010 02:12PM
Hi Donny,

That's very generous of you. And I'm sure Jerry will offer to ship his Yukon to Hawaii for awhile too ... whistling ... heheh.

Here's a pic from inside the War Wagon yesterday. I took some video, but have to process it - and I'm not really sure it's of much use ... since it documents my failure to properly seal the insert. Let me look at it.

Dragon and 8mm field testing 002.JPG

You see the Command Center here. I had everything all laid out. I mounted a scope. Had five different 58 projectiles, sizing dies in a couple sizes, camera on tripod, shop ledger to record, chrono about 10 yards out. And, since I was so prepared .... I couldn't use it all. haha. I should have just tossed it over the hood of the truck! laughing

Gary
April 16, 2010 02:57AM
Very nice!! a .87 smoothbore and a rifled barrel .58 with super power, can't get any better than that! Hey Donne if I moved to Hawaii, would you let me shoot it? lol.
April 16, 2010 03:15AM
Hi Peter,
sure come on over. The weather here on Maui is very good, most of the time. We can shoot at some coconuts and watch them explode, Lol.
April 18, 2010 02:58AM
Watching coconuts popping in slow motion might look pretty neet.

Joe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021