Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Demon Bird

Demon Bird
April 22, 2010 12:09AM
My nerves are a wreck .... it's that CURS-ZED BIRD!!!!

Kelly's been telling me of this madd bird (a Robin) that's been attacking our cars. Well, it had been attacking her Van, and my truck. She said it looked like it was trying to "get in the window" ... and sitting on the mirrors. Sitting .... I left the "H" out. This bird, I figured must be the size of a good sized cow. Because the cars and driveway nearly needed to be shoveled! From one Robin!!!!

I finally saw it. Attacking and fluttering and pecking ... like a madd thing. And then, it crossed the line! It attacked my car. Oh ... "It's ON!!"

Of course, I couldn't really blow it off my car mirror with a Justice 87. Maily because I don't HAVE a Justice 87, But; more to the point, it's not "stealthy".

The only thing I had was my old Crossman 1377. A fine pc. (so I thought) in it's day ... 30 years ago. But, it had developed an oddity ... might pump one stroke, then wouldn't at all, then would again. I'd taken it down once - ten years ago or more... and never felt it was worth ferreting out the problem. Today, I took that sucker down, diagnosed it's ailments .... resealed it, cleaned it, and .... oh yeah ... SOME little THING ..... fell. I did a rain dance trying to catch it. No deal ... it hit the toe of my shoe and all I saw was a streak and a flash. GONE!! I didn't even know what it was.

Well, it was the T Port sleeve. I had to stare at the thing, reverse engineer what was needed, and the sizes, and machine a brass one! eye rolling smiley Good GRIEF!!!

I put the thing back together. Well .. that's when I noticed that the front and rear sights had become quite "fuzzy" during the last 30 years. I tried to sight the thing in ... but it was a guess. I actually tried a couple of shots at the Demon Bird ... only to be humiliated the first time with a spray of tail feathers ... and the bird flew off with an evil laugh. The second time, I thought I spotted it going into my weeping cherry tree. I went into the work yard at the base of the tree, where my aluminum ladder was leaning. I climbed up a half a dozen steps ... and .. THERE!!!! The curr-sed thing had it's back to me ... mocking me. I was quite willing to shoot the thing in the back ... but I missed AGAIN!!!!!! BLAST!

And, so it stands. My car looks as if a herd of goats had been standing on it all day. I suspect the stupid bird is fighting it's reflection in the glass of the cars. I'll have better luck throwing the gun at it tomorrow. I'd order up a bunch of 1377 reciever parts and scope mounts ... but UPS hates me ... and then there's the 8 pound trigger ... and I don't care to take the time ....

Maybe plastic explosive .... nowthatIthink .... naw ... might crack the mirror .....

Gary
April 22, 2010 12:14AM
BTW ... this was AFTER Kelly had put out a fake OWL by the cars, had hung a fake Woodpecker on a perch out there, and had hung out a reflective pan, AND cut some spiral paper thingie to hang out. You simply would not believe the mess this one bird has made. I hosed the cars off this am, and simply could not believe it. If the entire bird were full of ..... it still could not produce such a mess with dozens of streaks down the doors, on the rag top, on the windows ... amazing
April 22, 2010 12:31AM
Yuk! I had a similar problem a couple years ago but not nearly as bad. My particular pest would just expend his enormous output on the driver's side mirror of my truck. After having to wash the mirror a couple days in row to be able to drive to work safely, I decided on the same path you are taking (except for the refurb and maching bit...). Fortunately I happened to have a gun suitable to the purpose at hand. I sat on the steps in the garage and when he came back for another perch and pump, I shot him right off the mirror. I felt better right away! You will too... unless you shoot the car. self-hammer
April 22, 2010 04:59AM
Gary,

Maybe the pellets weren't a good fit?

Keep afer him Wile E.fudd

Lon
April 22, 2010 06:28AM
WAIT THE HECK A MINUTE! NOW WAIT!!

GB, you trying to tell me that YOU, the fine maker of amazingly NICE and POWERFUL airguns.....DOESN'T have something that can can easily take out a pesky bird. You only have an OLD 1377? HUH? You serious? If i could make airguns from scratch, DUDE, i would have the ULTIMATE thingy majiggy whizzbang whoopteedoo air gun that anyone had ever seen. Other folks orders WOULD WAIT (that's one reason i don't have an air gun business...lol)

Did i read something wrong?

B4 i go on and on and on, i will wait for your response....lol
April 22, 2010 10:13AM
With the guns Gary has available, the problem isn't shooting the bird, it's NOT shooting whatever's behind it. skull

-- Jim
April 22, 2010 04:05PM
Peter,

Thanks for the offer of the loan. I appreciate the help. I sure could have used it.

bird 023.JPG

As you can see ... THIS is no NORMAL bird. It's E-V-I-L. And this is after it was washed clean once before.

And .....

bird 024.JPG

I've tried to level the playing field a bit .... Another idea! .... by laying out the welcome mat (I mean steel plate).

No sooner had I got back in the shop, than the thing arrived and perched on the mirror! Waaay before I was ready. Of course, it was only there a few seconds, and flew away.

I've actually taken about 5-7 shots at this demon. In the tree, in the across the yard, on top of the war wagon .... I can hit the target in the shop - but only dust the bird. It's never at or near my practice distance. I think I'm actually shooting the thing thru the heart with each shot ... and it doesn't phase it. It's not human i tell you!!! excited I mean .... well .... you know .... assimilate

Cedric. Sure - go ahead .... twist the knife .... knucklehead. Reduced to using this off the rack antique with the fuzz ball sights. crazy Oh, the SHAME!!!!! Even sadder

Gary
April 22, 2010 06:50AM
That was funny Gary, I enjoyed reading it he..he.. If you want I can loan you my HB .22 with the expensive top of the line $30 Walmart scope on it, but boy this thing can hit a quater inch group at 10 yards all day long, it can silenced that evil bird for good easily lol.
April 23, 2010 12:06AM
lol...sorry GB for driving and twisting that knife.

But like peter, i'm thinkin of loaning you my Crosman 2240 pistol with 14" barrel. I feel bad now.blush
April 23, 2010 12:43AM
Yeah ... I'll bet you do .... hahah.

Hey - the bird seems to have left. Perhaps it's the matter of "Death from a Thousand Cuts". I dusted the thing a couple or more times. Perhaps it finally figured it could build elsewhere. Or - maybe one of those pellets found it's mark .... later.

Anyway ... the car got washed, and the armor plate put away. We live to fight another day. Maybe I'll upgrade the 1377 to a set of my thingy majiggy whizzbang whoopteedoo metal tape peep/ghost ring sights. hehehe. More coffee

Gary
April 23, 2010 08:52AM
Hehe, Gary, this has been fun, watching nature triumph over man, then have the sense to leave the scene of the crime without making the classic mistake of returning for another look, or..ah..crap, in this case. That bird must have known that The Reaper was just around the corner!!
Reminds me of an incident with some manic birds my work colleague described recently. The Pukeko (or swamp hen) is a New Zealand native bird about the size of a hen, with very long legs, blue black body and bright red beak. My colleague and her partner were driving along and there on the road in front of them was a Pukeko that had just been hit by another car (Pukeko's spend most of their time on the ground and are clumsy on take-off), so they stopped and her partner got out and moved the poor bird off the road. As he got back into the car, suddenly a gang of other Pukeko's attacked the car, bashing against the windscreen again and again, avenging the mortal wounding of their kin by mankind...brick wall Apparently it was like a scene out of a Hitchcock movie, and they were a little shaken! scared
So Gary, be careful out there, your little birdy may be waiting its opportunityBlinking devil
April 23, 2010 01:21PM
Hi Neil,

I'll have to watch my back ... shooter with bench rifle scared .... shooter

Thanks for the tip!

thumbs up

Gary
April 23, 2010 10:19AM
Gary:

Maybe it's time to transition the carport to a full garage / shop extension? nowthatIthink

-- Jim
April 23, 2010 01:13PM
HI Jim,

Good with me. You get it through the town council.

With the "set back" regulations and zoning rules in town, about 90% of the homes, carriage houses, and sheds in town ... would never have been built. The 21st century's idea of Utopia, has been imposed upon a Victorian town. eye rolling smiley

thumbs up

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021