Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Timber Wolf Complete

Timber Wolf Complete
October 12, 2010 08:43PM
Well, it's complete. I like it. Hope you enjoy seeing it. take a bow I can post more pics later, if you want to see any detail I missed.
a_tWolf_Muzzle.jpg
a_TWolf_Buttcap.jpg
a_TWolf.jpg
a_TimberWolf.jpg
October 12, 2010 09:36PM
Gary:

Congratulations on the reveal of this exquisite rifle. For me this one was one of the most expected, because you kept showing parts here and there and raising the expectations.smileys with beer

I like the contrast between the receiver color, the brass patina and the stock.artist

The T. Wolf is a nice classic looking rifle that will be a great addition to the collection of any air gunner. Also it combines the characteristics of a hunting rifle.

I really hope that this rifle doesn’t disappear and that we continue to see stories in this forum in where it represents the main role.shooter

Julio
October 12, 2010 10:04PM
As always, beautiful work Gary!
October 12, 2010 11:00PM
Nice Gary. That works. To be honest I really liked the first pics you showed and then didn't care for the first pics with the brass colored sleeve over the barrel. But this looks great. I like it. I'm a huge fan of the "pennsylvania" long rifles and their look, so this is right up my alley.

Any thoughts on offering these in a BIG bore, like maybe a 4 bore or something stupid like that? Even a 62 or an 87 would rock with round ball. With the nice long barrel you should be able to produce some serious power.
October 13, 2010 12:44AM
Yeah - a lot of people threw up on their shoes when I showed the brass sleeve system. That's the risk (and beauty) of showing pics along the way. Of course, everybody knows that a long rifle should have a nice octagon barrel about an inch and a half across the flats ... eye popping smiley Well, since "the rest of the parts" of a Kentucky amount to a half oz. lock and weightless brass trigger ... that works. An airgun has a few more parts ya know ... wink So - to get a more stout barrel, and to provide solid anchor points for traditional sights and antique scope mounts, I went this route. Knowing that I was going to tone it down with the patina.

Maybe a nice one inch bore, as you suggest, would solve the big barrel look. haha. And, if we burn heliun as Allen has shown us the way ... we ought to get some broken shoulders out of the deal ... 'fer sur! laughing

Glad you like it. Thanks for commenting.

Gary
November 02, 2010 05:40AM
Gary,

I like the brass sleeve. You know if I didn't.........................more innocent

Lon
November 02, 2010 06:29PM
I'm very relieved Lon. I'd hate to have to destroy yet another completed airgun, because it didn't suit your tastes ... more innocent

Gary
Anonymous User
October 13, 2010 12:21AM
Well that thar is a mighty fine shooting iron for sure. I wager a man can flick a nat off a bulls butt at a hunert log steps with that rig.

Great job on that one Gary, I have another new favorite,
November 02, 2010 06:42PM
Thanks Joe,

I'm still chewing the buckskin to make a proper set of breeches to wear when shooting it .... nowthatIthink
November 03, 2010 09:11AM
Marmite [en.wikipedia.org] is a sort of food-like substance purported to be edible by people of British / colonial extraction. The taste is not unlike sucking on a beef boullion cube that's been dipped in asphalt, though opinions vary. It should probably fall under the category of "cruel food tricks to play on tourists", but apparently some people actually LIKE the stuff.

On the positive side though, it's still better than Vegemite.lipsaresealed
November 03, 2010 03:53PM
It's only 200 yards, who needs 4X?
November 03, 2010 04:45PM
Sounds lovely. I need a bucket of it for driveway repairs. hahah.

Gary
October 13, 2010 01:03AM
Another masterpiece!
rex
October 13, 2010 02:12AM
Very nice. Has a clasic flint lock style to it, like an oldfashin gun. Your client should be very happy.
October 13, 2010 03:49AM
Well now I can see the beauty and I'll bet the beast will be unleashed soon. scared The Master shows that he earns it once again. artistWay to go, Gary!

Kent
October 13, 2010 03:57AM
Thank you guys. I'm glad you like it. Thanks for commenting.

;?)

GAry
October 13, 2010 04:56AM
Gary,

Is that a shroud? I missed the explanation if you posted one.more confused

Lon
October 13, 2010 04:56PM
That is a classic, Gary!take a bow
I missed reading it somewhere along the line, what caliber is it?
Cheers
Neil
October 13, 2010 09:03PM
Hi Neil ...

It's a 46 caliber. Running right at 600 fpe with HP Air.

Gary
October 13, 2010 08:59PM
It's a sheath. A wrap. Section near the recvr. allows the breech slide to telescope inside. 11mm dovetail at the junction of the 1" / 3/4" sections. Dovetail also at the muzzle for sights or front scope mount. Assembly allows all dovetail sections to be a match.

Gary
October 14, 2010 01:13AM
Thats very nice Garry,love the finnish and style, an instant classic.How man shots off a single fill at what fpe is it configured for ?Danny.
October 14, 2010 02:38AM
Hi Danny,

Same as any PCP ever built. They're all tunable. Run them hotter - less shots. Run them softer - more shots. Add a bigger/heavier reservoir ... more shots either way. It's all physics and it depends upon what a customer thinks is important to them. Green bowing

Gary
October 14, 2010 02:11AM
another beauty - in a classic American style !
October 14, 2010 02:19AM
Joebill!

Thanks very much. Will be fun to wring it out for performance since completion.

Gary
October 16, 2010 06:34PM
stunning , as ever . another fine gun...... i wonder what a similar black powder gun would produce in figures , and ill bet a bp gun wouldnt shoot as acurately.
be an interesting side by side comparison. . i did read somewhere that the fave trick of the old muzle loaders was to load a candle instead of a bullet , and shoot it through an oak door .
October 19, 2010 01:58PM
Hi Tom,

At Mississippi ... the Timber Wolf pounded the 143 yard targets and the 200 yard bell, with no trouble at all. With one of my 4X Turkey scopes no less.

Glad you like it.

Gary
October 17, 2010 07:57AM
Pretty neat, the way the sliding breech tucks away on this one. Very sleek looking.
October 20, 2010 04:58AM
Very nice! I really like the old classic look on this gun. Your artistic mind has never ceased to amaze us. It has 4 times the power of the vintage bigbores. Very impressive.
November 01, 2010 11:42PM
200yds and 4x scopes ,,, you realise some of the other forums would put that combination in the same class as a marmite and marmalde pizza ,,, well done indeed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2010 05:16PM by Dyson Diver.
November 02, 2010 06:36PM
Hey Tom,

Webster couldn't help me with "Marmite" ..... you care to explain.

You saying 4X is overkill for 200 yards .... hahhaha

Gary
Anonymous User
November 30, 2010 02:36AM
You are the only one that can make something seem easy,and make it beautiful.db
November 30, 2010 01:27PM
Gary,
Very nice looking rifle.
I appreciate how you incorporate modern fasteners with the traditional design.

Looking forward to seeing more pics and groups!

Pedro
August 08, 2012 03:46PM
Page 22 or so IIRC

Add this one to the mix to show the gun again. I like it. Pipe smoker
August 11, 2012 01:03PM
Gary,
I still like it!
Can you tells us again how you completed the butt stock? Particularly curious about the "recoil pad".
August 11, 2012 04:11PM
Hi Scott.
The buttstock contains the hammer and power plant to fire the gun. Ball bearing guides and trigger block.
The top and bottom separate.
The butt plate is fabricated from plate brass. Patterns are made. Components are bent to the required shapes. All parts are then clamped together and silver soldered. The resulting butt plate encapsulates the entire end of both top and bottom buttstock halves. The "shoe" fits the wood perfectly, and has a wide sole so it's still pleasant on the shoulder.
Thanks for posting.
Gary.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021