Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Prairie Hawk 8mm Complete - Photos

Prairie Hawk 8mm Complete - Photos
October 20, 2010 02:03PM
Delivered to Julio at the 3rd Annual Mississippi Cajun Shoot.

Dedicated long range Bench rifle. Note the bench weight under the pressure tube for long range work. Easily removes when desired. Vastly power adjustable. Huge variation in slug weights and psi operation available. Although, at the shoot, Julio was still knocking over the extremely heavy steel targets at 143 yards with the bishops fired at 2,500 psi. They were still screaming. The rifle shines with it's specially developed 190 grain 8mm slug.

Hope you enjoy seeing these pics I took from home when I finished it.

Gary
a_PrairieHawk.jpg
a_HawkBreech.jpg
a_PrairieHawkAnodizing.jpg
a_WolfAnodizing.jpg
a_Hawk_Pistolgrip.jpg
October 20, 2010 02:43PM
Very nice Gary...Allen.
October 20, 2010 02:50PM
Gary,

I didn't even know that one was in the works, I must be sleeping in class again.

External hammer, I'm trying to think if I've ever seen you make one before.nowthatIthink

Julio, you're getting quite a collection! That is you're first contempory piece IIRC, you're other guns are very traditional styles.

Lon
October 20, 2010 05:20PM
Julio also bought the Nebula 2 off the secondary market. That's very modern too.
October 20, 2010 03:45PM
Gee Gary, I thought Julio wanted a bright gun? whistling

Interesting looks. Not sure the lines "work for me" but since it's not for me, who cares what I think so long as it works. And from what I hear, your stuff does what it's supposed to.

The breech reminds me of the chameleon, not saying the same, but reminiscent. I really dig the hammer. How long is the barrel?
October 20, 2010 05:24PM
Barrel is 30 inches.

Always interests me when someone says that the lines of something that have never existed before don't suit them. If all we made were copies of existing units, it would be a very boring world. Form follows function. I usually make an effort to totally ignore requests to make my unique mechanical designs mimic some totally unrelated item. Sort of like trying to make a toaster look like a coffee maker just because people have seen more coffee makers. I've never had the slightest desire to copy anything. I'll let it for makers a hundred years from now, to copy "my" designs ... if they don't have better ideas of their own. I've got a hundred in the drawer that I haven't gotten to yet.

Green bowing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2010 05:29PM by barnespneumatic.
October 21, 2010 01:27AM
Gary, please don't misunderstand. It looks similar to many long range target guns. My buddy Dylan is nuts over long range shooting and his .338s and .50's have the same general design. Long and lean, bi-pod way out front, mono-pod in the butt stock to give as long a platform as possible. I understand why they're built that way and I definitely appreciate what they can do, but that doesn't mean that I prefer that look. Some guys love the military look. I don't care for it. No offense to those who do. I do really dig the look of the TimberWolf. That's what I prefer. If I had the money to spend on a long range .50 BMG, I'd buy a nice black powder gun instead.

Now here's what seperates you from any of the other airgun smiths, you make both kinds. Some people prefer your less traditional (how's that for diplomatic) designs. I like some of them of them. Some I don't. I sure am glad I live somewhere where you can make something that I don't prefer, charge top dollar and have a waiting list.
October 21, 2010 03:36AM
Is this the first time you've built a breech of this type, or is my memory just missing on a few cylinders? That's one heck of a hammer, makes it pretty easy to work in ambidextrous with this design.
October 21, 2010 02:43PM
Hello Rotor,

I've made external hammers several times. Early 27 cal, early 45 dueling pistol, Chameleon, Hoss, First Barnes 45 etched rifle, Patriot 56, .563 Express, 56 Expedition ... all come to mind right away. I've also made the rotary breech a couple of times. Oh ... how soon they forget ... Even sadder ... hahah.

This one is a different design though. The hammer is not a rebounding design. It trips the firing pin for a short pulse. Probably twice as many parts in this rifle as any other design. Works great. Yeah ... Julio is left handed. shooter with bench rifle

Gary
October 20, 2010 04:35PM
Thanks Gary for building such a beautiful piece!

This rifle is a jewel. It’s so accurate that I shot a target that was standing sideways, offering me only a ¼” to shoot at a 100 yards, and hit it in my first attempt.

It’s so easy to learn and shoot that other persons use it with a lot of success on the big bore range. Knocking down the targets at 143 yards was real easy with this rifle.

We ran out of slugs, more later...
October 20, 2010 05:26PM
If I'm not mistaken, I saw that you hit that 1/4" heavy steel target on edge, three times in a row, before you slid it off the back of the timber perch. Not bad shooting at 100 yrds.

That rifle just makes long range easy. I'm extremely pleased that you like it. bowing -- Far East

Gary
October 24, 2010 05:20PM
Gary,

The laminate and anodizing look great together.

Lon
October 24, 2010 08:09PM
Thanks Lon,

Always try. Nice to see it work out.

Green bowing
Anonymous User
October 20, 2010 04:54PM
I can see why you ran out of slugs Julio, gorgeous piece. I know your going to enjoy both shooting and showing that one off. I just noticed the external hammer and rotating breech on the rifle, sweet. That one needs room to stretch its legs for sure.
October 23, 2010 02:11AM
Here's an Action Figure shot of Julio with his 8mm.

Julio's 32 SWAT Style.jpg

The Prairie Hawk was putting those 190 gn slugs down range with accuracy and power. This is a very heavy slug for the caliber. The slug is matched so nicely with the gun not by chance but by Barnes design. artist Just one more piece of the puzzle put together for those with discriminating tastes for Barnes guns. The shame is that so few persons actually get out to shoot the system built to produce amazing results, when used as directed. knucklehead There was no such problem in Mississippi this past weekend.

Thanks for joining us, shooters

Kent
October 25, 2010 02:16PM
Excellent action shot! Even better was the laser guided accuracy Julio showed with the new gun and big slugs... just spectacular!
October 25, 2010 11:31PM
Thanks Jerry, the rifle did all the hard work. I just looked thru the scope and pulled the trigger.

It was good that we ran out of slugs, otherwise I would still be there shooting...hehehe
October 28, 2010 03:21PM
gary ,,,, your a dark horse , all of a sudden from no where comes a new class , you wouldnt loose it in the scrub .
mind you , thats the perfect pistol grip for a yukon , ,,, wallnut stainless pistolgrip ,,, right back to reality.
nice work as ever .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 32
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021