Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Alder Delta 32 progress

Alder Delta 32 progress - CONTINUING PICS ADDED
November 07, 2010 10:55PM
Doug asked to see some off the pics, since I told him I was working on his Ranger Delta 32 once again. Hoping to complete this rifle, and several others before year's end.

The 32 Magnum PCP rifle is being made for his Son, who is active duty military, and has served several tours to the mid-East. It's an honor to make the rifle for him. It will carry the silver plate which I mentioned earlier - denoting a gun made for active duty military persons. Something Kelly and I decided we'd like to add as a small token of appreciation for those who are serving today. God Bless them all ... and we've been praying for Doug's Son.

Sunset,KellynGary 075.JPG

Sunset,KellynGary 076.JPG

Sunset,KellynGary 077.JPG

Sunset,KellynGary 078.JPG

Sunset,KellynGary 079.JPG

I've been fitting the top end. Reaming the breech, drilling the transfer port. The top end's parts must be blued. The laminated stock blank is off camera waiting. Note all the parts carry their inventory tag so they don't get misplaced with many projects running.

Best,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2010 09:02PM by barnespneumatic.
November 08, 2010 02:21AM
Thanks Gary, I'm sure he is going to love it.
November 08, 2010 07:36AM
Got a quick question about the engraved lettering...it it done by hand with a rotary tool or with the milling machine?
November 08, 2010 01:52PM
Hi Sean,

That's done with my 19th century laser cutter! whistling hahah. I have a Model A Gorton 2-D pantograph mill - 1895 vintage. I make a master pattern that's oversized, and the pantograph is able to reduce it according to how the geometry is set up. It's manually operated so far as feed. I altered it to run off of a small high torque electric motor and made a following arm assembly so the motor can move with the cutter head.

And then, sometimes I just hand carve the lettering. This was done from a pattern I made.

Gary

Also - don't tell anyone ... but I have your stainless Woodsman working too. There are a bunch of guns working ... don't give up.
November 08, 2010 03:01PM
Gary,

Gosh, I hope I don't drive you nuts with this but............more innocent

I too was pondering the engraving. Here you are showing all this great machining work and I have to admit my mind was focused the whole time pondering how you did the engraving.

Amazing what people focus on.

Lon
November 08, 2010 06:24PM
Hi Lon,

Right ... good thing there wasn't a "pc. of wood" in the picture! Nobody would have seen any of the machine work at all ... more innocent

That's OK ... at least I did the engraving in the above explained manner. haha. thumbs up

Gary
November 08, 2010 08:46PM
Hi Doug,

I’m confident that you and your son will enjoy this rifle.

The first Barnes rifle that I had the chance to shoot, at Standing Stone IV, was a Ranger Delta Magnum .32 and thanks to that experience was that I became a Barnes fan. Then at Kent’s a few weeks ago, I had the chance to shoot another Ranger Delta .32 and again it was very satisfying experience.

If someone ever asks me which of the Barnes rifles I would recommend as the first one to have, without doubt the Delta .32 is in the top of my list.

The Ranger Delta is a proven design, accurate, powerful, adjustable and beautiful, among other qualities.

It has enough power to do 90% of the tasks that any air gunner would ever do with a big bore and its right in the frontier between the small bore and the big bores.

Julio
November 08, 2010 08:53PM
Thank Julio,
Actually I'm a bit of a long-timer with Gary (going on 9 years now). I've got 2 of Gary's air rifles already, including one identical to this one being made, and have a 4th on the ledger (.45 cal). Love the ones I've shot so far, I'm sure Gary will do a great job on this one as well.
Doug
November 08, 2010 10:47PM
Another gun we'll all be following along!
November 08, 2010 11:27PM
Sorry Doug, for a moment I though that this was your first Barnes.

9 years wow, you should have some stories to tell...

Julio
November 09, 2010 05:32AM
1895 eh? Good thing you're a machinist, otherwise it might be a bit of a problem getting spare parts for that one!

I was half expecting for you to just say that you "just do it" with the X and Y manual feeds on your mill, a sort of "you just gotta have the touch" kind of thing. I guess you could make it work that way, provided that you were a real prodigy with the Etch-a-Sketch as a kid. laughing again
November 09, 2010 01:52PM
Right ... I kept drawing circles inside of circles inside of circles ..... hahah.

Hey ... you don't think .... nowthatIthink ..... Targets? ..... Airguns? ......

LOL!

Gary
Re: Alder Delta 32 progress - CONTINUING PICS ADDED
November 09, 2010 09:07PM
Continued work on the top end of this Ranger Delta 32 Magnum

The bolt is being fitted to the barrel and receiver.

Alder 014.JPG

Alder 015.JPG

Alder 016.JPG

The bolt retention system is being added, and the bolt will be heat treated. All takes more time then it looks. thumbs up

Gary
November 12, 2010 06:16PM
Adding this in. Here's where we are going ... the Delta 32 Mag. I delivered several years ago for Doug's other Son. Just so you don't jump to conclusions ... this is NOT the new gun finished. This is the previous one. This one will be very similar.

[www.glbarnes.com]

Gary
November 12, 2010 06:19PM
Yeah . I don't know why those two links are broken. Don't know the pics. Don't have time to track it down now.

thumbs up

Gary
November 15, 2010 03:51PM
oh dear ,,,, im an anorak ,,, thats exactly how i thought the engraving was done ,,, it looks so freehand its great , def the personal touch again. , so much nicer than laser etched
November 20, 2010 03:06PM
Gary,

I love the fact that you use multiple orings on your bolt probe. Nice work
November 20, 2010 03:30PM
Dude!

I thought the Aliens got 'cha!!!

Good to see your post. Thanks.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021