Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Yukon 58 goes for a walk

The Yukon 58 goes for a walk
November 11, 2010 06:29PM
I took the Y58 up to Gainesville, Tx to visit Steve Corcoran and to pickup a custom stock he made for one of my rifles. (very nice!)
I set up the Yukon 58 to feed from its carbon tank. Steve picked out a nice rock about 179yds plus or minus (laser range finder)
to plink at. We were using Hornady 570 round ball and were hitting really close around the 12inch rock. We both actually
hit it......not too bad for round ball which goes ballistically unstable somewhere in that range vicinity. I seem to recall about
200yds but may be mistaken. In any event, it was lots of fun and noise! I tried out some muzzleloader slugs sized down
to fit the bore. At 179 plus/minus yds., it was almost indirect fire to loft those heavies up to the rock landing zone.
I was running about 2700psi.
Here is a link with pics that Steve posted to the Yellow Forum.
Cheers,
Karl

[www.network54.com]
Re: The Yukon 58 goes for a walk
November 11, 2010 06:57PM
Thank you Karl, for your post.

It's great to see the gun shooting, and being enjoyed, then shared. Today has been special for seeing two of my guns posted.

Thank you Jerry, and Lon as well. I haven't read a post over there for quite a few years. Looked at this one. I appreciate your posted pics. Gosh, Lon's pic made me tired again. haha. All those Barnes guns. Wish we'd have taken a similar pic this year. I took snapshots of individual guns instead. Fun to see those big group pics.

smileys with beer

Gary
November 11, 2010 08:22PM
Man, I just missed a video opportunity! It was probably too dark for really good video anyhow but the posts today got me to take a couple shots with the Yukon .62. I shot a chunk of concrete that was about 4 inches thick and it just blasted apart. Would have made good film...

I need to find something else to blow up. excited

I've thought about getting some ribs and making up some ballistic gell to do a demo for the MD DNR and just general entertainment but shooting good food and the expense has held me back. It's no small project either... I thought it might be a good way to get the message out though and set aside some myths.
November 11, 2010 11:10PM
Interesting project. Sounds like Myth Busters! ;?)

Remind me to dig up the pics of my buffalo being cut up at the meat locker. I took some pics inside the carcass of the hole punched rib and all.

Shame about the cinder block. Hey - YOU're the one who wanted it to get dark earlier! whistling hahhahha

Gary
November 12, 2010 04:54AM
Gary,

That is a great picture that makes an attempt to show the range of your work.

If you don't see something you like on that table, Get a slingshot!knucklehead

Lon
November 12, 2010 04:12AM
Nice post Karl, it's good to see a Barnes not only being used but shared. I second Jerry's sentiment about getting some SureFire cast slugs for some real accuracy potential. It will also let the gun live unto it's max power. I agree that the 570 round ball is a blast to shoot.

The only other suggestion is to always place something, like your hand, between the gun and the rest to ensure best accuracy. Try it and see.

Kent
November 12, 2010 03:19PM
Kent, Karl,

Kent's comment reminded me. I'd intended to mention it before. I've found that it benefits accuracy, to have the front rest as far forward on the gun as possible. Kent has gotten decent accuracy off his sled rest, I've not had the same luck from mine. I always bag the gun as far forward and as far back as possible. Avoiding any rest near the pistol grip or center section of the gun. To me, it seems to provide a "pivot point" if bagged anywhere near the center of gravity for the gun. Just something to try.

Great pics and post. I'll also suggest the Barnes slugs from Surefire. There are a couple to try. What we call the 450 and the 469 come to mind first. At .568" if I recall. thumbs up

Gary
November 12, 2010 04:05PM
Ok Gents, suggestions noted. How do I get in touch with Sure Fire cast slugs????? A web search was fruitless.
I have been using a lot of Hornady .570 round ball and off the shelf muzzle loader slugs. Some are really huge in length. I size them down to fit the rifle. They definitely aren't flat shooting!!!!! At the distance I was
shooting the other day (179 +- yds.) I was out of mildots and scope adjustment. I needed a Sharps Soule sight.....you know, like
the flip up sight on Quigley's 45-110 Sharps. (watch the movie....it's great!). The round ball was doing ok and was more accurate
because the scope was still in its visual operating spectrum. To keep the rounds
impacting within about 2ft at that range I thought was pretty good......and you all are right about the pivot point on the rifle rest.
Steve and I were just goofing off!
Again, how do I get in touch with someone who casts slugs specifically for the Y-58? I need an address, phone number or website.
Thanks,
Karl
November 12, 2010 05:08PM
Karl,

You are in luck! I just happen to be the international and domestic VP of sales for Surefire Casting! nowthatIthink

Do you know which of the two slugs Gary mentioned works best in your Yukon? Send me a PM here with your email address and I'll send the details on cost and so on.
November 12, 2010 05:42PM
Jerry,

Which ever ones Julio likes best. .568" Karl won't have shot them, so won't have data on them. I suspect either the 450 or 469. Perhaps a mixed order from which he can decide a winner.

Poor gun surprised .... "Off the shelf ... muh ... ma ...muzzle loader slugs" ... eye popping smiley .... I'm surprised the rifle hasn't gone on strike .... wink

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021