Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Range and Stuff

Range and Stuff
May 01, 2011 09:06PM
Bunch of things to see here. I'll add a few more. Satalite is spotty today. I don't want to loose the post delaying with all the pics ....

Well ... let's see.

Range - Nitro Yukon 002.JPG

A "part" in the lathe. Illustration of something I've told many of you thru the years: you CAN make delicate small parts with large stationary tools. Don't waste your money spending premium prices on dinky little machine tools, just because you are only going to make small parts. Ridgid tools make accurate parts.

Range - Nitro Yukon 015.JPG

Prepared for acid etching ... here you see a real clean blade. Note the polished background is uniform and clear.

Around about 1981-83 ..... I forged out some various types of damascus blades, forged 1060 tool steel, and wire damascus blade stock. I made up a handle which would mechanically attach to several blades (all of which were made to the same geometry - shape, upsweep, edge, etc.) I then tested the blades thru a harsh regiment of cutting one inch rope segments, cutting thru 2 by 4s, chopping, cutting steel shavings from cold rolled steel, and others. I compiled the information, wrote an article ... and sent it to the editor of the "Knives" series of annual collector books. They published the article - probably in "Knives 82". Mine is packed away. The series of books are still being printed. It's a "state of the art" each year. I had a pocket knife on the cover in 83 ... had a bunch of my work in the books thru the years. Lost touch with them round about 1990. Anyway ... the winner of my knife blade test, was a particular type of wire damascus forge welded carbon steel blade. The other week, I ran across a remaining portion of the bar of wire damascus steel I'd made the test blade from. It was clearly labeled. Was fairly small, and had some questionable areas in it. Since I seem to get talked out of every knife I make, I never have one. I decided I'd try again, and use this little pc. of steel that is special to me. The fact that it's somewhat flawed, makes it far less likely to be salable.

I made up the blade, heat treated it ... and, yep ... there was a flaw in it. Well, the ancients didn't just turn every blade with a tiny flaw in it into a tomatoe stake in the garden ... sometimes, they'd carve out the flaw, by carving a dragon, or some other animal or symbol over the area. Now - there are flaws that effect things, and flaws that are small cosmetic things. I can't tell you the number of damascus knife blades I tossed aside for tiny, tiny flaws. Well, I decided to create a "Horimono" (carved symbol or animal) or "Atobori" (usually carved later, to upgrade a blade with a small flaw) .... if I understand the Japanese blade collector's terms properly.

Range - Nitro Yukon 017.JPG

Here's the blade, all forged, ground, heat treated, reground and polished. In this state, the component layers and sections of the laminated blade are not visible. EXCEPT FOR the weaker imperfect weld line thru the blade. Won't hurt it - but it doesn't make a collector blade. Now - in the spot where the Dragon is now, there WAS a small delaminated "cold shut". I carved it out - it's gone. And, a Dragon emerged from the process. artist

Range - Nitro Yukon 024.JPG

Now, you see the scrolls remain in "relief" as the "resist" material protected the design created. The acid uniformly removed steel from the unprotected background. This process is very particular - if the resist material fails, it ruins the design. Soooo many things have to be corrrect. Also; note that the "scale" pattern of the actual steel grain structure is revealed now. The acid has attacked the steel component sections and the actual welded seams, as a slightly different rate. This shows the composite sections. Note the weak weld shows as a somewhat white line.

Range - Nitro Yukon 020.JPG

Now, where the real flaw was, a Dragon resides. Think of it this way: If you take a #2 grade pine board with a knot on the end of it ..... and you cut off the knotted end ..... so that only clean pine remains ...... THEN ... do you have a #2 grade pine board with no knot in it at all ... OR .. Another idea! .... to you have a "D-Select" or clear pine board? Hummmm. nowthatIthink hahaha.

Well, whatever, I have a blade for my pocket knife .... from the early 80's testing, with a dragon on one side. ;?) A dragon where a flaw was ... and a blade for Gary, where none existed. ;?)

Range - Nitro Yukon 029.JPG

I went to the range, yesterday. Jerry was kind enough to come up and help me REMOVE and INSTALL heavy A/C units in the shop. After that, we went over to the range for a while. I have a bunch of pics. I had a lousy headache most of the day. Still had fun. It finally subsided .... but left me with that "balloon head" feeling" .....

Range - Nitro Yukon 031.JPG

I took the Nitro for some more testing. I'd had the scope off - improved the breech ream for a wider variety of slugs, and was explaining the "sight pic" after the re-installed scope. Was setting Jerry up for some shots ... being kind.

Jerry, "ALLOWED" me to shoot his Yukon. Here he carefully explained that HIS sighting set-up was perfect. eye rolling smiley hahaha. Put the dot where the hole will appear. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I'll post this (I hope) ... and more later.

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2011 09:40PM by barnespneumatic.
May 01, 2011 10:14PM
Neat story, I really like the new knife. I don't collect knifes but I always want want handy for use. I've had the folder you made on my belt for years now. I think it's been over a year since I sharpened the edge. I was reminded of that when I checked the razor edge on the #2 blade!

Oh, I just got my favorite basic photo-edit program working on the new computer. I'll have to edit and then do some posting...
May 02, 2011 12:28AM
Hi Jerry,

yeah ... glad you got the program running. Hope you got some good pics.

We have to get your "Big Game" trophy pics posted. ;?)

I had a darned headache for a few hours again this afternoon. didn't get back here. Feeling better now. I'll post a few. Need coffee and to set out some trash for Monday morning first!

Gary
May 01, 2011 11:49PM
Glad you got time at the range. And that blade is a beauty. I hope that dragon doesn't bite!
May 02, 2011 12:01AM
Really nice. I'm sure when you finish. It will be a WOW how did he do that..

And if you don't want to sell your knife don't show it here. smiling smiley

It's like keeping a secret. If you want to keep it you don't tell nobody. Dory
May 02, 2011 12:26AM
Hey - I can trust you guys ... can't I? More coffee

hahah

Gary
May 02, 2011 02:31PM
Gary,

Nice work, throw up a picture of the finished knife.

Lon
May 02, 2011 05:39PM
I will. For now though, it's a very simple and light weight uni-frame pc. from green canvas phenolic. One of the earliest of the carbon fiber type materials. About WWII era material - very light and strong. Actual canvas material cured with phenolic resin - one of the first thermo plastics.

Gary
May 02, 2011 08:02PM
Gary:

It looks like you and Jerry had a great time at the range. Wish I was there. About your side project...Another beautiful knife. I hope you are going to give it a equally beautiful matching handle. Hmmmm. The blade material reminds me of mine. The blade shape reminds me of mine as well...so maybe a simililar handle? Of course, I wouldn't try to talk you out of it. more innocent

Seriously though, I use my knife regularly (but carefully) and it is still razor sharp and gorgeous to look at. Thank you for sharing!

Karl
May 02, 2011 10:23PM
Hello Karl,

Hey, alas .... I'm but a meager craftsman. I must do with crumbs from the work bench ... Even sadder No engraving and ancient ivories for me ... no ... I first tried to make the frame from a saltine cracker (well ... actually the WalMart generic version of a real Saltine) ... but it broke in final testing.

It was then that I remembered this green canvas phenolic. LOL!

I'll have to get a pic

Gary
May 02, 2011 10:43PM
Here ya go ... take a bow
Knife 005.JPG
Knife 008.JPG
Knife 010.JPG
Knife 013.JPG
May 02, 2011 10:51PM
Green bowing
Knife 018.JPG
Knife 014.JPG
May 04, 2011 04:37AM
Gary,

Neat, it almost has a wood look.

How much would you sell it for?wink

Lon
May 02, 2011 11:00PM
Gary :

Well, its not Mastodon ivory or Scottish red deer antler material ...( lol) but still a great knife and quite striking. I hope you get to keep it....

If you get tired of it I'm sure there will be many people willing to help you with that.

Best,

Karl
May 03, 2011 12:58AM
Gary:

Nice piece! I really hope that you can keep and enjoy this one. Hehehe. I like the overall design.

Julio
May 03, 2011 01:00AM
Hah! Coming from you, my friend .... who is probably fiddling with the lock on my folding knife from 2005 ..... hah!!!!

fish
May 03, 2011 01:26AM
cool button lock !!

I LOVE that dragon carving!
May 03, 2011 01:33AM
I like the contrast between the elegant etching and both the coarse dragon and the "canvas" look phenolic. Almost a "what's that burlap in your hand" then "SNAP" out flicks a decorated razor's edge!

Kent
May 03, 2011 03:01AM
Rex,

If you are reading along .... your stock is repaired. Rest to follow asap.

Gary
May 03, 2011 05:46PM
Goosh, that knife is nice. Gary.........you've got skillz....lol

Funny how that balloon looks like JERRY
May 03, 2011 06:46PM
It's the little funnel and knott on top .... More coffee ... heheheh
May 03, 2011 09:59PM
That blade is great!

and the handle is a perfect counterpunch!

Congrats on a great peice Gary.
May 04, 2011 08:40AM
nicesmileys with beer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 26
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021