Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Working on ....

Working on ....
October 07, 2011 01:27AM
Well - you guys got a fine treat tonight with Julio's videos! Excellent work Julio. Love it! smileys with beer

Jerry and I have an appointment with grapes this Saturday. Jim was unable to make it. Actually, I suspect he was frightened by a grape once ... haaha. Nah ... he's off with business appointments.

I've been working on a few things in the shop, gun wise. One of them is something you might like to think about. You recall that I've had the HAWG pistol for some time. Reason being that I robbed parts from it to complete an order shortly after I'd taken it to the field first time. That stuff happens when something is a "shop" gun or was intended to be something for me to experiment with or use as a proof of concept. There were a couple of things that were first on the HAWG. It's bolt retention method worked great and was adopted into quite a few orders. It's trigger assembly was the start of the second generation of what's become the standard Barnes. It's valve and posting combo yielded far more than I expected. In early form, it was over 330 foot pounds in a Horse pistol format. That's pretty strong for air. In addition, a new smoothie slug developed just for that gun, performed far better than I could ever have asked. In all - an amazing early run.

Now ... I've gradually replaced the robbed parts. Once I started using parts, it got stripped pretty clean. Over the years since, I've added a part back here and there. I had the start of a thought for a rifled insert for the gun, at the time I thought to include it into one of my bluing sessions. With this in mind, I threaded the muzzle before I resanded and reblued the pc. Sometimes, I'll tell myself I'm gonna make a simple pc. to check a particular concept. So, I don't sand it completely, of I decide to leave out a more advanced system. And, EVERY time, I gradually retro fit the pc. to add the tuner stuff back in. Nutz ... another nice gun! why me ... hahahah.

Once I get them into the field and see that they perform so well, I figure they deserve the full Monty. Once I do those steps, then they are too nice for me to keep. Never fails. Well, it's happened again. AND ... in the process, I've come up with two more advances. One is smaller .... and is the generation 3 version of the trigger assembly. BUT the other is the method of adding the rifled insert to this gun. I'm stoked about it.

This is a 62 caliber smoothie. The rifled insert is a Barnes 25 caliber. The new twists include an integral moderator on the barrel, a thread on hub that just quickly spins onto the 62 barrel, AND .... the fact that you still retain the 62 caliber bolt. Whereas some systems have required an entire new "at caliber' bolt assembly and swap out of the larger caliber unit ... this retains the larger bolt and loads the sub caliber via the bolt probe's sub caliber chambering. You load the bolt nose when it's retracted.

Anxious to see how it works. Might have it to shoot Saturday. Not sure the pistol with insert prototype is a 100 yard grape gun ... but we'll see!

hahaha. USA!  USA!

Best,
Gary
October 07, 2011 05:48PM
I saw and responded to them both. Great post from Julio.

Aweeee man, Ole JER, is gonna pull off the stunt before me. Oh well, have fun Jerry and get some good video of the MISSESlaughing

Its on JULIO and JERRY and GB.................OHHHHHH.........IT'S......ON!!

You guys have fun and be safecool smiley
October 08, 2011 02:18AM
Ced, after Julio goes out and hits a grape at 100 yards on his second shot.... I just feel the weight of defeat! surrender

Really, the second shot, and we have to go and try to beat THAT??!! Heck, even if I could tie that shot, I'd be thrilled but by then Julio will have shot an apple seed at 150 or something! laughing

I did buy one bigger piece of fruit to try and shoot a little further out...
October 08, 2011 05:26AM
Julio done good for sure, but i'm not giving up to him just yet...lol. Even a grape at 125 or 150 within 2 shots will better OLE' JULIO's SHOT....lol.

I should still be going out Monday for this big shoot with friends and my attempt will be done then. So there will be pressure for sure but shouldn't be a problem...lol. Mr GB is quiet........i wonder what he has cooking up?
October 08, 2011 05:44AM
Not even a cell phone camera picture of the Hawg?Get crackin'

Lon
October 08, 2011 01:48PM
a_Hawg.jpg

Here ya go Lon!

It has the 25 rifled insert with integral moderator installed. The main barrel is 62 smoothie!

Off to the range. Jerry just got here. shooter

Jerry says ... no more pictures ... he's hungry! haha

Gary
October 08, 2011 02:42PM
That is Stunning!
Your work is always beautifully done, even if sometimes the lines are exactly what I would choose, but boy oh boy did you hit the bullseye with this one. Probably my favorite of your guns has been the Heritage pistol, but maybe this one just leap frogged it. We'll have to see when a few more pics work their way out.

That's killer! (probably in more way than one!)

Go get them grapes
October 08, 2011 04:44PM
Gary,

I like that one a lot. hot smiley

Lon
October 08, 2011 05:36PM
That is one beautiful piece. I've never been able, or willing, to pick a favorite out of your work, but this one has to be right at the top. Both from an artistic, and engineering point of view. Every time I see one of your new models for the first time, I feel like a five year old again, opening my first Red Rider on Christmas morning. Just that same sense of awe and wonderment.
October 09, 2011 01:29AM
Thank you guys. I do appreciate the comments. Very glad you like it so much.

I guess it's clear that the stock is just roughed out. I didn't mention that. It will really pop when it's all blended and detailed. The back shoulder stock comes off. There's a long thru bolt that interfaces with the back of the pistol stock.

I got it to this stage at 1:30 this morning. Then took it to the range with Jerry today. We tested it a bit in the shop this morning. It was putting out Beeman 25 Kodiaks at about 1,209 fps IIRC.

At the range, I realized that I had a barrel/moderator alignment issue that I could not correct at the range. So; I was bummed I couldn't get accuracy data today. I will soon. Even so, it gave some really nice level strings in the shop this am. It will shoot well - no doubt.

Best,
Gary
October 23, 2011 12:10PM
just a quick question , is it classed as a rifle , or a pistol.
in this part of the world we arent allowed pistols.
October 23, 2011 03:31PM
I don't know what you fellas would call it Tom. A carbine with a removable shoulder stock, would be my closest term.
October 26, 2011 05:07AM
Sure is purdy Garythumbs up
Can't believe it needs any more work...
Regards
Neil
October 26, 2011 01:54PM
Thanks Neil.

Actually it's rough as a cob. Stock needs shaping and sanding. There's no finish on it at all.

Glad you like it. It's gonna have a great home. Hope it is enjoyed.

Gary
October 27, 2011 04:09AM
Quite the combo system Gary! The previous video of the action in transition was amazing. I'm sure all had a good time at the range. Thanks for sharing.

Kent
October 28, 2011 09:46PM
Gary :

A real nice platform for all kinds of shooting. Beautiful gun!

Karl
October 29, 2011 03:05AM
Thanks Gents. It's been noteworthy to see so many people rave about the unfinished gun's lines. I'm glad you enjoy it.

I think much of it comes from all of you having grown up watching Westerns on TV. The lines are very 19th century.

Hang around until I finish it. Hope I don't go and ruin it ... excited

thumbs up

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021