Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Christmas is almost here ...

Christmas is almost here ...
December 20, 2012 06:07PM
I want to tell each of you that I really appreciate you stopping by to read here. I know there are plenty of other places. I know my move has been the dominate topic for quite a few months. I can't wait to declare it to be complete. Thank you for hanging around.

I especially thank the guys that are waiting for my work. I never forget about you all. The need to move was becoming more and more obvious and acute. I kept devoting too much time, energy, and stress; into finding solutions for situations that were degrading. I've listed them all before. Things finally moved into a place where we just had to grab out boots and gloves, and move. What a epic journey and effort it has been. I know it seems endless (even more from this side of the screen). But there is a mountain of completed tasks behind us. Just some big foothills still in front.

The plan is to get to a "functional" state. Trying to do those things that must be "built in" so that other layers can be added on top. I'm no where near the point where we just place the throw pillows and set out the picture frames. winking smiley I might have said before; I never claimed to be extremely gifted at a move of this magnitude. It was just thrust on me, and I've done my best. Wish it was better and faster. But then ... "I" was better and faster decades ago. Well, maybe not much "better" - but definitely "faster". hahah. I guess it's all relative to that "work smarter" saying. I usually figure out how to work with what I've got to get the job done.

I went to slide that chest of drawers into the workbench this morning. And, once again - relearned the lesson that a 1/4" shaft will NOT fit into a 1/4" hole. The hole has to be at least a thousandth bigger - or the shaft a thousandth smaller. Yet - I seem to be hard wired to make stuff - even quick stuff - better/tighter/finished more then required. And so - this morning the belt sander stropped the chest of drawers into place between the bench support legs. A nice air-tight fit there in the event of earthquakes Neil! hahah.

I still spend waaay too much time searching for things. Most times I find them. Often well AFTER I needed them, and found an alternative method. I recall a saying that was in an old machine shop I used to frequent. "We, the willing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long; that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing". laughing Scratch the ungrateful part - but I wanted to quote the saying on the sign I used to laugh at.

And so; it's nearly Christmas and I'm plugging along. The weather today is rainy - but still tee shirt weather. Thank you for your input and conversations here. I don't do the Facebook thingie. This IS my social media. The comments here AND the PM conversations I enjoy very much, make a great coffee break throughout the day and evenings.

I hope you have a joyous Christmas. I pray that your families are safe, well, and healthy. I know that is not the case for many of you. I'm truely concerned for those situations. I pray that God blesses and comforts, heals, and protects.

Your hosts here on Rendezvous, and sincere friends,
Gary and Kelly Barnes.
Anonymous User
December 20, 2012 09:10PM
If you needed help up the hill i would help you. in no way has this been degrading. You should take your time and do this your way. Everything you do has thought and purpose and should never be changed in any way for this is what will separate you from all other air gun people. We are here for Kelly and you and i will show off post pictures and use this beautiful creation that i will be proud to hand down to my son Brandon. THANK YOU. On a sad part of this my wife Jennifer is from Monroe Connecticut and is still crying. I had to turn off tv.....
December 20, 2012 09:35PM
Merry Christmas, Gary. Thank you for your hard work and your integrity in keeping promises made. Have a great holiday season, and keep posting the pictures!
December 21, 2012 12:01AM
That is one benefit of the social aspect here, it's civil. You can NOT say that for most other alternatives online.
December 21, 2012 05:28AM
Gary,

I hear this weekend you're going to get a little taste of what your new winters are going to be like.Snowman

It should add to the festive atmosphere.

Lon
December 21, 2012 05:41AM
Hi Lon,

Yes - it's 47 F now. They threaten a freeze tomorrow night. Everybody says that's good to kill misquotos, and bugs. I can live with it.

Barometer must have been very low today. I was quite achy all day. There were severe storm warnings on the radio - but they seemed to be in lower Alabama. Often hear warnings for there.

Was still in a Tee all day. And - I've yet to need any heat or A/C in the shops. Well - Kelly sat with me a few evenings and used a very small electric heater by her chair. I was fine working. Mostly - the insulation does the trick. We shall see tomorrow.

Gary
December 22, 2012 11:31PM
Put up way more shelving and stocked some of that.

Made a few Christmas items.

Gosh, it doesn't sound like much. what was that

Ah ... Worked late. Changed socks. Hunted for our dog Fritz, who was evidently allowed to escape when our grandkids left the doors open. Found Fritz a 1/4 mile from the house - in the woods. Lucky. That wouldn't have been a good Christmas. Fritz is long on heart and short on smarts. I figured he'd just go on a straight line til he hit a wall.

Well - that sounds like more. Haha. Taking the kids to Burger King and to see the lake lights. Very cold tonight though. Might get frost. We'll see.

Our Son's mother-in-law is down from Alaska. Honestly - she came here for brain surgery. It went well. -45 at her home so this is still warm. All went well. Much to be grateful for.

God Bless

Gary
December 23, 2012 09:54PM
Merry Christmas, Gary and Kelly!
May the New Year bring you blessings and great joy.
Scott
December 23, 2012 11:35PM
Thank you Scott,

And may it bring you a fixed stock!! Green bowing

God Bless

Gary
December 24, 2012 05:30AM
Have a great Xmas Gary,Kelly and family! (and the rest of you guys!)
We are getting strong winds and mist here on Xmas Eve, but Xmas Day, while starting with drizzle, is supposed to get to 82 degrees F (32 degrees C) so we will await that with anticipation excited
Gary, it has been a year yesterday since our last major quake, so those close-fitting drawers may not be needed after all!
All the best
Neil rudolph
December 24, 2012 06:45AM
Merry Christmas Neil!

Thank you. winking smiley

I'm glad the ground has stopped shaking for you.

Hope you enjoy your warm day Tuesday. Are you gonna give the bunnies a break for Christmas if they show on the hill? more confused That's a tough one.

I've worked in a few Christmas gifts - simple stuff in the wood shop as those things are infinitely less complex - but still warm the heart strings. I'll show you are few things after Christmas. Spies ya know! eye popping smiley

God Bless you and your family,
Gary
December 24, 2012 06:57PM
Gary :

I wish you, Kelly, your family, and everyone else here on the forum a safe and happy Christmas. May the next year be even better.

Warmest Wishes,

Karl
December 24, 2012 09:17PM
Merry Christmas to all especially Gary and Kelly and a happy new year

Thanks
Kurt
DSCF1805.JPG
December 26, 2012 12:59AM
grinning smiley Kurt - that's just scary.

Is that the pic you send in with your tax return? hahahahahah.

Gary

Merry Christmas my friend. laughing again
December 26, 2012 12:08AM
Merry Christmas all!
December 26, 2012 01:01AM
Merry Christmas Jerry!

On the way back from our Son's house - Kelly said ... "Well, I guess the days will all be getting longer now - light longer". I came within a breath of asking what the DATE was today (knowing the 21's was Solstice. whistling

I haven't change a bit. Just a bit more busy. haah

GAry
December 26, 2012 01:34AM
Good move on holding the date question! Kelly could have used that for years! rolling happy smiley
Anonymous User
December 27, 2012 09:20PM
Do not let too many see that picture kurt. Glad on the good news for your grandmother and positive thoughts only....
December 27, 2012 09:52PM
too late now but nothing to worry about just a couple of old carnival Airguns there as you can tell by the air hose attached to the Tommy gun and the electrical cord wound up on the water cooled browning ! Truely my electronic Christmas card

Thanks
Kurt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 28
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021