Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Concord 50. A "Gary" Experience thumbs up

Concord 50. A "Gary" Experience thumbs up
March 23, 2015 03:10AM
We attended Church and visited with our Son and Family today. One of our Grandsons had his 11th birthday celebration. Nice day ... But the Sunday Migraine started about 3:30 PM. Don't worry - its not a dreary story. Ends well.

I drove home. It's 85 miles. On the way down, the skies poured full blast. Rain thundered on the Church roof so hard it made it hard to hear! On the way back - it was much better. Still wet roads, unsafe drivers, repaving work zones .... "Not" relaxing.

Got here - felt horrible. HOWEVER; I had things in and on my mind. I told Kelly on the way home ... "When I feel good - then I always have six things on my mind that I want to do. When I feel terrible - then I always have six things on my mind that I HAVE to do. Either way - there's stress." BUT - occasionally, even though I feel terrible - I'm aware that I still have six things I WANT to do. Hummm. Backwards pattern there. I realize its backwards and I know the signs now. You'd have to be there. I know - sounds a bit esoteric. But it's relevant to the story.

I gathered up my pcs., and went to the shop. Got out paper and pencil. I began drawing what was in my mind. I sorted out the details. As I drew, I felt a bit better. As I drew more, I began to make the "flourish" of sweeps and lines more precisely. I couldnt when I began. I was intrigued. Kept working. A couple of hours later, I had this.

image.jpg

It's a Black Diamond Grade Pistol. Carved. Wood and tooled Leather over air reservoir grip. 50 caliber. Back action hammer. I have figured out everything I need to make it. It's done in my mind. I hope to amass off hours here and there so that its not wasted. It will not intrude on my work.

If it speaks to you, you will know what I was thinking here. How it will look - in it's final "Cased" format. With the 240 year old virgin pine, mahogany, and chestnut salvaged from my cabinet work period. I've told that story before.

This sequence has happened to me over and over and over thru the years. Horrible headache, fatigue, or just wake to one of these events. They have yielded my most interesting pcs. Thanks for reading. Just wanted to share.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2015 05:17AM by barnespneumatic.
March 23, 2015 06:17AM
Looks like tooled steel to. It's one of your best. created by headache. Ouch
March 23, 2015 04:56PM
Hi Mark,

Yes - lots of carved steel. Blued dark.

The drawing is just a quick rendering. Very 2 dimensional. Without the color and contrasts, it can't portray the elegant look I see in my mind.

This would stand beside the Hoss. I'd probably have a splinter forestock as well. Probably have some burl for the buttstock or carve it. Maybe truck bed liner ... Have to think ... surprised

thumbs up

Gary
March 23, 2015 04:53PM
Gary,

You are blessed man; with the ability of creativity and then the ability to draw it and to top it up, the ability to build it. Please expend on the pistol name.

thanks,
March 23, 2015 05:04PM
Hi Julio,

I will give you all the info. On the name that occured to me while I was designing it.

First - I posted this very late. Lets wait til later when some people have had the chance to see it. I'd be curious to see if anybody picks up the thread of what I was thinking. nowthatIthink. Then I will explain.

Thanks Julio! Glad you like it. take a bow

Gary
March 23, 2015 06:35PM
Hmmm..."shot heard round the world"? So, no moderated version available then. winking smiley Looks like lots of carved welds and detail work, similar to the Bison theme.
March 23, 2015 08:09PM
Exactly.

April 1775. At the Old North Bridge. Concord, Mass. Colony. The first Shot of the American Revolution.

Emerson called it ... "The Shot Heard Round the World".

I saw my design as definitely 18th Century. I had drawn the swept back handle angle of the period. I kept thinking "Concord and Lexington". The guns used in Revolution, at the start, were "those Available". I could see a Gentleman's Pistol finding its way to the Old North Bridge. Thought of Casing the Gun. Thought how the trees who's lumber I have stored in the shop, were mature at the time of the American Revolution. Just a decade or two later, they were cut into lumber for furniture, and shipped to Scottland for the furniture trade.

It was a lock.

Thanks Sean,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 05:19AM by barnespneumatic.
March 24, 2015 12:12AM
Hi Gary,

Sorry to hear about the headaches. It is very hard to concentrate when a migraine is hammering in your mind. Amazing what you have come up with despite clarity of thinking. It will be an incredible pistol should you build it.

It nice to get ideas on paper. For one thing, clears the mind and sometimes helps one sleep without rehashing the idea.

Pedro
Re: Concord 50. A "Gary" Experience thumbs up SOLD
April 13, 2015 04:53AM
pedrog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Gary,
>
> Sorry to hear about the headaches. It is very hard
> to concentrate when a migraine is hammering in
> your mind. Amazing what you have come up with
> despite clarity of thinking. It will be an
> incredible pistol should you build it.

Hello Pedro,

Thank you very much. BTW. I will build this Cased "BLACK DIAMOND" Barnes PCP. It's been committed, and sold via digital verbal handshake. take a bow

I honestly don't know how my mind works thru nasty pain. Sometimes I can, other times, I'm unable. I try to understand which sequence of buttons to push. However; on quite a few occasions, I've had a series of very uncomfortable, exhausting days, filled with headaches ...... and the process will end with the most wonderful vision of Creativity. It's not logical. But I can document it.

Thanks,
Gary

An existing ledger spot will be cashed in, as partial compensation for the "Concord 50". Therefore; the net result, will bring the Ledger a step forward, and; the existing parts of the previous ledger gun will become available for other ledger orders. I believe that works well all around. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 05:11AM by barnespneumatic.
Anonymous User
March 24, 2015 01:15AM
Excellent sketch of a beautiful design, the hoss was great. The profile of a German luger.
March 24, 2015 01:31AM
Actually I cheated a bit, looked up "Concord" on Wikipedia as a refresher. I'd learned about the battles at Condord/Lexington back in my school days of course, but I thought it might be something other than the obvious. I am pretty surprised at how many places in the U.S. are named after it. surprised

So...the "intolerable acts" these days would be...most everything on "reality" TV? winking smiley
March 24, 2015 05:27AM
Gary,

What kind of breech are you thinking of?

I'll bet that design speaks to just about everybody here.singing

Lon
March 24, 2015 01:07PM
For now, because weight, I drew it with a slide breech. It has the least bulk too.

Thanks. thumbs up

Gary
March 24, 2015 07:49PM
Gary,

I noticed the slide breach which is semi-hidden from the POV you drew. That should make for a lighter design and easier use which I would guess are both important factors for a pistol shooter. What got me interested (besides the drawing) is the term "back action hammer."What is that?

Along those lines, how is this gun cocked? Trigger guard pivots or a lever on the opposite side?

Really cool concept!
March 24, 2015 08:43PM
Thanks Jerry,

Hammer is pushed forward. Easy to control. You are pulling the grip and pushing the hammer.

Hammer fires toward the rear. "Back Action".

Lots of neat super secret stuff. Will require the "Cone of Silence" to discuss .... thumbs up

Gary
March 24, 2015 08:25PM
That's cool ! Hey Jerry , I have a Barnes with a back action hammer . It's pretty big too ( hammer ) and scribed with logo. It's easy to get your nose caught in it . . So is it an inline barrel gun with reservoir in handle ? Look like a hum dinger .
image.jpg
March 24, 2015 08:39PM
I've got a big nose, I'll have to be extra careful!
March 24, 2015 09:03PM
Kurt,

You have the tooled leather I envisioned on the Concord 50 too!! Ha

Thanks for posting!

Gary
March 24, 2015 11:50PM
For those unaware .,. Kurt has a very early Barnes Air Cane in 45 Caliber. The pressure Co2 bottle threads into the cane handle. Has a firing chamber it fills for each shot.

Back later ....

Gary
April 07, 2015 06:53PM
Gary,

I love the concept!
nowthatIthink

Scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 28
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021