Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Testing 20 guage shot load for coyotes and jackrabbits.

Testing 20 guage shot load for coyotes and jackrabbits.
August 24, 2009 10:32PM
I went and tested some 20 guage buckshot and shot loads for the coyotes and jackrabbits. I used the 1 1/4 oz #4 buckshot load for coyote, and the 3/4 oz #4 shot for the jackrabbit. The 519 gr #4 buckshot load shot out at 645 fps for a 479 fpe. With 23 pellets, so each carries about 21 fpe, I think it should be good enough for the coyote. The #4 buckshot is a .245 caliber and weighs 22.6 gr apiece, so it has sufficient mass to penetrate the coyote.

For the jackrabbit, I used the 3/4 oz #4 shot load instead of the #6, it gets 470 fpe. These jackrabbits are big, and weigh about 6 to 10 lbs, they need the bigger shot to take them down, especially with the air shotgun power. Each pellet carries about 5 fpe, out of the 100 pellets, so it should be plenty. One thing I noticed about shooting this 20 guage is that, I need to kinda aim it to get the center of the pattern to the intended target due to a small shot pattern of only 15 to 18 inches at 35 yards.

The conclusion, I think these loads with these patterns are effective enough for my intended games. Not bad for an air shotgun at 35 yards.

sorry about the pictures, as I couldn't sized down the pictures(no programs yet), I could only croped them down

IMG_0512.JPG
This is the 3/4oz #4 shot at 35 yards.
IMG_0513.JPG
Here is the #f4 buckshot at 35 yards, notice the aimpoint is next to the quarter, and if that would have been a coyote, 6 shots would have been connected.

IMG_0515.JPG
here is the #4 buckshot load.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2009 10:51PM by peter-n.
IMG_0507.JPG
August 24, 2009 10:43PM
Glad you are still testing. Thanks for the post.

Remember - look in your camera's menu for "file size" and choose "VGA" ... then you won't have to edit them to post. They will be the right size.

Will be interesting to see if you can connect with a Coyote. You might consider an electronic game call. They aren't very expensive - and they work.

Gary
August 24, 2009 10:59PM
I took the pictures with the iphone, there's no setting for size. I need to get a new digital camera.

I have an electronic call, I'll try it out on the coyotes. Should be fun....
August 24, 2009 11:04PM
Yeah ... they are giving away digital cameras now. I saw them at Wal-Mart for LESS than $10 the other day. Honestly. And ... it looked like a digital camera. No excuses now. rudolph

Gary
August 25, 2009 01:08AM
He..he.. Come on Gary, 10 bucks camera is really good for.......maybe one shot, then throw it away! If I buy one, I'm going get a decent one he..he..
August 25, 2009 02:32PM
Hey - the card said something like 356 pics. I don't know anything else ... sounded amazing. However; when you keep taking pics with your phone ... I figured I'd help. haha.

Gary
August 25, 2009 03:43PM
Peter,

Cameras are cheap as dirt. You should be able to pick up a decent 3 megapixel for under $50.

My phone has a 3 megapixel camera as only one of MANY features so the technology is practically a giveaway. Alos there are many simple FREE programs available for picture editing.

Can't wait to see if the #4 buckshot puts down a yote.

Lon
August 25, 2009 04:56PM
After I studied more at the buckshot pattern, I think I'd have to limit my shot on the coyote to 25 yards instead of 35. That way the pattern is tighter and denser. I also don't know if I should go for the 00 buckshot, at 6 shots with about 80 fpe apiece and weigh 48 gr each, it might be better. But with only 6 shots total, the hits would be sparse with maybe only 2 or 3. I'd have to test it to find out. What do you think? Also, the reason I chose buckshot instead of the slug is that I could take a shot at the running coyote, with slug I could only shot at the standing one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2009 05:16PM by peter-n.
August 25, 2009 07:37PM
Actually, if you think about it, if you are gonna limit yourself to 25 yards, you might as well shoot a slug. It'd be hard to miss at 25 yards with a slug, unless you were surprised and the Coyote was indeed running. You might consider a contained blind to shoot from. I'd think getting within 25 yards would be pretty hard otherwise.

With that choked barrel, I'd think you should be able to reach out farther. I'd shoot heavier ball myself, so it would carry farther. Something like 35-45 caliber stuff. Cut out some cardboard or foam board, in the shape of a Coyote ... and try it. If you consistently have several ball on vital areas, that might work for you. Make sure you have a solid bottom drive wad. I'm not sure thin cardboard would hold up and push the heavy ball without twisting sideways in the bore and not transferring the push. I'd actually use a section of hardwood dowel about 3/4" thick.

Now ... with all this fine encouragement ... we want to see some fur! haha.

Gary
August 25, 2009 11:32PM
Thanks for the advice Gary! You're right about the bigger balls, a 48 to 60 gr ball with 80 fpe would be lethal on the coyote if hit in the vitals. But it's a catch 22, the 20 guage shot wad could only hold 6 of the 00 buckshot or 5 of the 000. I'd have to test it out. I don't want to be surprised that my shot load was inefficient when the coyote showed up after hours or days of hunting them. Since this is an air shotgun with only a quarter the power of the 12 guage powder burner, choosing the right load takes a lot more work. However, in any case, I think the right load would be the one that will put at least 2 or 3 buckshots in the vitals everytime, and it won't go far.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 22
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021