Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Squirrel, Grizzly, Pretty Wood, Turtles Something for All

Squirrel, Grizzly, Pretty Wood, Turtles Something for All
April 18, 2010 04:55PM
Sorry I've been missing. I've been on a bender with kayak building. So I thought I'd try and make it up to you with something for everyone.
Here's a video with a little bit of everything. All pics taken in the last 2 days. Finished up the Kayak and now I wait 3 weeks for the epoxy to cure before urethane.

The squirrel was chased up the tree by the dog and was perched there watching him and the nut with the camera.

The Ballistic Bear came out to play. Here he's been modified with a piece of 3/8th in. steel imbedded to change the effect and not have the slug shoot straight through. It caught the slug in the head. Aim point from sticks at 50 yards was the nose. The chest shot was likewise but the slug is seen exiting the right chest, aim point was mid chest. It was also "armored".

You can see the sticks holding up the Grizzly in the pics.

Last pic is one for Kelly, it is two turtles, notice it incorporates my initials, KO. Hope the "Woodies" like the veneers, they show nicely when in the epoxy.

[www.youtube.com]

Note, I had to hit load twice for it to work.

Hope you enjoy.

Kent
April 18, 2010 08:25PM
What a cool video. Loved it. That kayak is simply...................PURDEEtake a bow.

OK, i got to get me some of that plumbers putty.
April 19, 2010 12:45AM
Thanks Tofaz,

The duct seal is about a dollar a pound and lasts forever. hourglass It never dries out and only decreases by losses , very little, from being shot. I've got about 20 lbs and that bear is about 10 lbs. It was setting on a 6 x 6 for size comparison.

As you can see, it is tough stuff. Weights I had expected the back half of the bears head to be blown off by this 650+ ft/lbs shot. Instead it stopped when it hit the steel triangle I placed in the middle. The slug is found, as you see, in the depth of the cavity, on the pic above. The bullets flattened face is shown in the second pic of the bear, stuck to the top of the head.

Kent
April 19, 2010 12:56AM
Nice video! The Grizzly and the Kayak look so pretty. Thanks for the post.
April 19, 2010 02:24AM
Kent,

Nice yak! Where do you find the time?Get crackin'

Lon
April 19, 2010 03:47AM
Kent,

Nice! Is the Kayak a kit, or did you make it yourself? Looks like a perfect excuse to spend some time outdoors.
April 19, 2010 02:25PM
Very nice Kent. I knew you must be up to some manic exercise. ;?) The Kayak is stunning. Really fine work. Good thing you have something to fall back on. wink Love the veneer work ... really nice.

Glad the Grizzly is getting out. Looks good. I think the mahogany is coloring up already. thumbs up

Gary
April 19, 2010 02:41PM
Watched it again. Saw this ...

Hey - isn't that your Fox Squirrel? It's mocking you ... out of season. haha.

Heard this ...

"Tell me a boat full of lawyers just sank" .... hahah. Chuckle ... now why would a Doctor find that humerous? hahahah.

smileys with beer

Gary
April 19, 2010 03:23PM
Thanks for the nice feedback!

Yes Gif, it is a Pygmy boats kayak kit. I find it so neat to take a 4in x 12 in x 8 ft box and build a 17ft 6in kayak. The art work is all mine with about $75 worth of verneer. It's a lot of fun to see it come together. I'm also preparing for all the free time Obama Care will mandate. This will be my fall back plan, or maybe dirt excavating or catering or anything but government work. Get crackin'

The "base" wood on the Yak is mohagany as well. It is a little behind the Grizzly on "richness" maturation of the wood. It will catch up over the next couple of summers.

The Grizzly is doing well. It was still holding 3500 PSI after a month of storage. I know it suprised me too to see that stale air shoot so well!whistling

Kent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2010 03:47AM by Cajun Justice.
April 19, 2010 04:38PM
I love the Pygmy kits. They're located only about 2 hours from me and a couple of years ago my wife and I wandered into their showroom while taking a long weekend. Awesome place. Cool people and fantastic boats. They'll actually let you take one of their boats out to test it if you go to visit them and schedule ahead of time. We didn't take one out, but I got to drool a bit. I've wanted to build one for a long time. Congrats Kent.

Oh, Kent, It'll all be government work before long.
April 19, 2010 09:03PM
Heck Kent,

Lon once told me his gun had air in it from being filled at a Standing Stone event (2 or 3 years previous!). Man, you shoot something like that and the curse of the Mummy will get ya. ;?)

Gary

Before I decided to get into airguns, I read "Wooden Boat Magazine" for about 3 years. I just Allllllmost built a frame/mold with which to make bent wood and canvas canoes. Then, I visited the east coast Sportsman's show that year. (Footnote - that's the show I was doing, for custom knives, in "Feb. 80" when my house burnt down). Anyway ... this was about "95" ... and it seemed sooooo many people were making "stripper" canoes as they were called. Thin strips of wood, glassed over. And then ..... I got into airguns. brick wall hahah.

Your Kayaks are really fine Kent. Guys .. do you know that Kent has a "THREE" cockpit Kayak he built some years ago? What is that Kent ... about 80 foot long ... wasn't it? haha. smileys with beer
April 19, 2010 11:49PM
I wrote a nice complimentary post and it "disaspeard" darn! Nice work and thanks Kent!
April 20, 2010 05:00AM
Kent,

True story about the old air, my Barnes held for almost 2 years. Now, it was just a hiatus cuz I'll bet that rifle had well over 1500 rounds through it and was shooting just as tight as the day I received it. How many bigbore shooters can say they put that many rounds through one bigbore?Weights

Lon
April 21, 2010 12:14AM
At least one!More coffee
April 21, 2010 04:53AM
Jerry,

It's a small club. shooter
April 21, 2010 08:26AM
Kent, loved the video, had to slow it down a few times to witness that first head-shot! Great canoe and that is some fancy paddle next to it, looks kinda like one of Gary's gunsmore confused
Hehe, thanks for sharing!
Cheers
Neil
April 21, 2010 06:30PM
Thanks Neil,
The first video was done in HD format, the second at 420 fps IIRC. Thus the difference in speed.

I wanted to show the Grizzly with the veneers as a backdrop. These veneers only show their real beauty after a good coat of epoxy or urethane to wet them out. I'll continue to find new backdrops to display Gary's art. I do prefer to have a gun related theme. Unfortunately, it's not every day I shoot a fox, or fox squirrel. Additionally, despite the abundance of cooperation from the local squirrel population, I've yet to be able to have a squirrel perch on a scope for a pic!

I did catch this fox sleeping next to Gary's Grey Fox 45.

Garys fox Feb 1 09 compressed.jpg

This is my current monitor backdrop on my PC, no I'm not sorry, if it's not PC.

Kent
April 21, 2010 11:51PM
Hi Kent,

Actually ... it's not a PC ... haha .... didn't you say you got an Apple?

laughing

Gary
April 22, 2010 12:43AM
At least it's not fruity either...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021