Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Active Duty Badge

Active Duty Badge
December 08, 2010 08:29PM
This is a trial print in copper. The final will be in Sterling Silver. These will appear on guns purchased for Active Duty Military.

USA!  USA!

a_ActiveDuty.jpg

aa_ActiveDuty.jpg

Shown waaaay oversized so you can see the cut strokes in the die work. The mirror image of the design is hand cut into a hardened tool steel die block.

God Bless. Thanks to all those who have served.

Gary and Kelly
December 08, 2010 08:41PM
Beautiful work, Gary, and a very nice thought.
December 09, 2010 01:09AM
That's a special touch Gary. That will be a great memento for any service member. I can imagine someone home for a holiday gathering in their class A's and being presented it from a proud parent. OK, that's how it plays in my head. Hope we here how it really turns out.

Kent
December 09, 2010 11:11AM
Nice work Gary! That's a great detail to honor those who have served and those who are in active duty.

Julio
December 09, 2010 04:06PM
Gary, superb detail and a fitting mementothumbs up
Regards
Neil
December 09, 2010 09:01PM
I'm sure tyhis will be much appreciated.
December 10, 2010 03:52AM
Gary,

Wow, to think that was all done by free hand on hardened tool steel. Takes a very steady hand, and limit the coffee intake? More coffee

Pedro
December 10, 2010 02:10PM
LIMIT coffee intake!! eye popping smiley HEY ... there must be something in the forum rules about saving something awful like that! hahaha coffee

I don't know ... the stuff has never bothered me in the classic mythical manner. Perhaps I'm too burnt out for it to have an effect. Or ... maybe all the pain pills counteract it. But then ... the pain pills have only been here for five years or so ... hummm.

Thanks. I enjoy doing the die work. Nice to have a product go out the door, and retain the tooling.

Gary
December 13, 2010 04:47AM
The cavalry and the artillery guys are gonna LOVE it!grinning smiley

One question...do you carve the negative image into the die before or after it's hardened?
December 13, 2010 01:20PM
Hello Rotor,

Carved after heat treating, when the steel is hard. Otherwise, the process of bringing it to critical heat - before quenching - would degrade the sharp edges of detail.

Gary
December 14, 2010 03:47PM
fantastic in both conception and completion
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 34
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021