Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Barnes Tundra Magnum 45 glamour shot

Barnes Tundra Magnum 45 glamour shot
November 25, 2016 05:56PM
Was shooting some product photography portfolio stuff last week and I snuck this onto the set. I shot my best group ever with this rifle five years ago. It's still one of my favorites.

Barnes_Tundra_Mag_45.jpg

shooter with bench rifle

-- Jim
November 25, 2016 10:19PM
Been a while, bet you have some great stories to tell.

Hope you and your family are well and enjoying the holidays.

Lon
November 26, 2016 01:15AM
Looks great Jim.

Well, that could be January in Kurt's suggested Barnes Calendar.

I think you have a shot like that with your Delta 45 too - don't you? That one would be good for May. Hah! thumbs up

Thanks. Good to see that rifle again.

I have a few Tundra in wrapped parts. It will be good to get back to them too.

Gary
November 26, 2016 01:57PM
Hi Jim,

I hope that you and your family are all doing well. Thanks for posting that picture, it certainly is one of my Barne's all time favorite rifle.

If you can, please post a picture of the group.

Best,

julio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2016 01:58PM by Julio.
November 26, 2016 08:30PM
Thanks guys . . . things are good, just crazy busy (in a good way).

Here's a link to an old post with pics of my group and a few others from that range day. Hey Gary, we did some shootin' that day! smileys with beer

[www.airgunrendezvous.com]

Best,

-- Jim
November 26, 2016 11:37PM
Hi Jim,

Yes. Good times.

That field has enough lead for a Super Fund Site! Or .... could be mined for a battery factory complex. whistling

Thanks for the pix and memory.

Gary
November 26, 2016 11:08PM
Wow Jim
That's a great photo of a great gun . It shows that you must do that professionally . I'd have to say that is one on my favorite Barnes too . Not only because of the obvious but also the accuracy INFRONT of the trigger . One ragged hole is always nice . As I read in one of the post's" I couldn't do better poking a hole with a pencil ".
Thanks for sharing .

Obviously with Jims photography talent he should be shooting ( pun intended ) the calendar .bowing -- Far East

Thanks
Kurt
November 26, 2016 11:35PM
Hi Kurt,

Yeah. Jim's got all the best Digital Toys. Stuff NASA doesn't even have.

And he can shoot too. I enjoyed those range days.

thumbs up

Gary
November 27, 2016 12:17AM
Same shot at 100% . . . receiver detail (yes, should've dusted things a little better). This shot was taken with an 80 megapixel Phase One medium format digital back -- what all the cool kids are using now.

Barnes_Tundra_Mag_45_receiver.jpg

-- Jim
November 27, 2016 01:39AM
wow, great shot!

and yes, that is a totally intentional pun smiling smiley
November 27, 2016 03:13AM
Let's see .... we need .....

Jim's Alpine 45

Kent's Grizzly 62

Julio's Caribou 46

Hoss 45

Chief Justice 87

Timber Wolf 46

Bison 56

Nautilus 32

Prairie 2/32

Prairie Hawk 8mm

Nebula 2/25

Off the top of my head. Weights

Gary
November 27, 2016 11:42AM
Personally, I would like to see a calendar of nothing but Bisons. More coffee
November 27, 2016 03:00PM
Ah .... Jim .... Nice idea ....

"The Year of the Bison!"
Anonymous User
November 29, 2016 03:03PM
Yukon GS
December 22, 2016 01:44PM
...and please don't forget Doug's 45 Tundra Magnum and his .32 magnum also! Thank you!
December 22, 2016 07:19PM
image.jpeg

You are in there Doug. Thanks!

image.jpeg

The yellow charts are the key for all the parts.

image.jpeg

Have a Wonderful Family,
Gary
Sal
December 25, 2016 05:14AM
Oh my! I see my name on that list too, cool!
November 27, 2016 11:40AM
Gary, looking back at the pic of that group, any idea how those four little "shrapnel holes" ended up on the face of the plate (right over and around the words "Tundra 45" and above my name)? I still have the plate (of course) and although the orange is almost faded away, it's still in good shape. Those holes do look "punched through" front to back, and not the other way around, just like the staple holes and slugs themselves, which would seem to eliminate the possibility of anything like splinters etc. kicking from the backer on the slugs' impact back towards the shooter. Could they be little pieces of lead that came off while the slugs were traveling down the barrel, and flew straight all the way down to the target?? I do remember them being there immediately after shooting the target, and wondering the same thing, confused smiley

This is the kind of stuff we used to try to figure out, and was one of my favorite parts of taking these unique rifles out to the range.

-- Jim
November 27, 2016 02:49PM
Hi Guys,

Excellent Sherlock sleuthing.

My theory isn't as colorful, I fear. I spy, with my Little eye, that the holes describe the exact width of the staple legs we were using. The plate was previously stapled at another location. And, by another person than he who stapled up Jim's target. The other person instinctively posted plates upside down, and double tapped the center with the staple gun.

The unused plate was moved and turned over. thumbs up. Covers all the data points. Presence of holes, and why the holes come from the back of the plate.

If you examine the back of the plate, I predict you will see the imprints made by the crossbars of the two staples.

Pipe smoker

Gary

(Or ... If my version shuts down the forum ... then I suggest something completely unbelievable and unprovable as a cause!!). one-eyed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2016 10:46PM by barnespneumatic.
November 28, 2016 01:39PM
Just this last thought. If you consider some group of small partials of lead theory. You have to consider the weight of those particles. Probably generous at 1/4 of a grain. If you take about 900 feet per second as the velocity of Jim's slugs, then you have less then 1/2 of one foot pound of energy at the muzzle. As you wondered aloud, I don't think they'd travel 75 yards. If they did, they'd never penetrate the plate with their residual energy.

Just following the rabbit you guys kicked up. fudd

Gary
November 28, 2016 07:46PM
Staple holes...yup. thumbs up

Yet another potentially awesome story cut short by Occam's Razor, he' such a killjoy.grinning smiley
November 27, 2016 01:25PM
Jim
I didn't notice that micro burst UNDER. your slug holes . Did you notice it after all three shots or after each shot ? I'm kinda thinking out loud but if pure lead slug was shot down new rifling you might have shrapnel but they wouldn't make it down range . I think judging by the pattern whatever it was I believe lead , was traveling behind the slug in a choked pattern . Also the drop in elevation on the target suggest a slower speed . It's too bad you didn't look at the osb the target was stapled to. Even if you did it wouldn't tell the story but only add to it .
A lot of lead has tin added to it making it brittle and the burst sizes appears to be close to same dia. suggesting a repeated failer of the same type . Do you think the heat generated might have melted off gaulded chunks that were in the barrel from prior shooting ?
Maybe a different type of slug was run thru it .
I think we should all meet up and try to duplicate the repeatability with the Tundra and other Barnes airguns . Hey at that time you could get pics for the new calander .
Thanks again for sharing your photo's
they are amazing

Thanks
Kurt
November 28, 2016 08:55PM
Buzz killers I say
Buzz killers

Thanks
Kurt
November 28, 2016 10:17PM
So
After investigating the recent target ...... I see no where on any previous targets has ANYONE chosen to put the staples in the CENTER of the target .

I can only surmise that due to the quick rejection of my hypothesis and a rather simple injection of alternate source for said holes .... Gary MUSTA known the guy swinging the aforementioned staple gun .

I'll have a coffee and dwell on it !

Ps: Im not pointing any fingers at anyone

Thanks
Kurt
image.jpg
November 28, 2016 10:33PM
Hi Kurt,

Some us have the Gift! "Noticing Stuff" has placed me at the center of a group of disgusted stares, more then a few times.

I looked at the target. My mind "noticed" the staple. My eye said - same spread. I got an index card and a pen. Marked the spread on the edge of the card along a straight edge. Moved my card down the screen - compared - yep. "Boy, they aren't gonna like this ...."

The fact that the plate was "previously used" .... Without holes .... would suggest to me that it was posted at extreme range. 200 yards or more. Maybe used as an aiming spot for Jerry's Halo Sight.

I'd never staple the center - cause I know that I'd accidently place a beautiful group right there, and have it ruined. And, I'd have put the plate color surface forward. (As Jim shot it). Since Jerry is not often here to defend himself - I'm gonna blame him!!! Hah!!

Now, I love a good mystery ... and I've had "splatter" come back thru targets and leave tips from back to front. I'm suspicious of OSB though, and the exact spread of the holes matching the staple .... Buzzzzzzzzzz

stunned

Hah ha ...
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 37
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021